Read 4242 times

• Toshiba
  • Super Waygook

• December 15, 2011, 02:18:45 pm
    • not good!
Why is Woosong University (Daejeon) always hiring?
« on: February 23, 2016, 07:29:42 pm »
It seems I can't look at the jobs section on Daves's without seeing this university advertising openings. What's going on? Does it have such a dreadful reputation that noone wants to work there? Or is it totally awesome and just keeps hiring instructors. Never (ever)seen a university advertise so often for instructors.

What gives?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 07:38:17 pm by Toshiba »

Re: Why is Woosong University (Daejeon) always hiring?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 11:38:08 pm »
they have like 100 different instructors spread over many different English departments. with that many instructors, people will always be leaving every semester for whatever reason (going home for good, found a better job, found another job in a city they want to live in more like Seoul or Busan, etc.).

• Toshiba
  • Super Waygook

• December 15, 2011, 02:18:45 pm
    • not good!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 12:55:34 pm »
they have like 100 different instructors spread over many different English departments. with that many instructors, people will always be leaving every semester for whatever reason (going home for good, found a better job, found another job in a city they want to live in more like Seoul or Busan, etc.).

The red flag for me is that the applications are to be sent to the Woosong University "Language institute". Such institutes on university campuses are often little better than hogwans used as revenue generators. I've had friends who worked at the "language institute" at Hankuk University of Foreign Studies (HUFS). Sounded like a pretty prestigious university, but only after signing the contract did they realze it was effectively an on-campus hogwan that they had signed up to. Their lives were miserable. Within months of working there they went from happy go lucky sorts to miserable gits who couldn't wait to leave Korea. From their reports (and massive threads on the school over on Daves) it's apparent that the language institute there was a miserable place to work. People quitting or getting fired all the time. As with HUFS, I'm sure there are decent jobs for English instructors at Woosung University. Those jobs unfortunately are unlikely to be found in the "language institute". My suspicion is that's one reason why they keep advertising.

For me, anything with language institute in an advert is a massive red flag.

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 01:07:24 pm »
I don't work for Woosung.

but from what i've read about them, they have quite a lot of different english departments. and what exactly you do, depends on which department you get hired for and/or exactly what your contract says. because people are hired on different contracts. some will work only teaching, e.g., university freshman english classes. others might teach a split between those and classes at the language institute. some might teach only at the language institute.

like i said, i don't work there, just what i've heard about them.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 01:42:09 pm »
I've read mixed reviews about the place...although it seems to be more negative than positive.

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 08:54:02 pm »

The red flag for me is that the applications are to be sent to the Woosong University "Language institute". Such institutes on university campuses are often little better than hogwans used as revenue generators. I've had friends who worked at the "language institute" at Hankuk University of Foreign Studies (HUFS). Sounded like a pretty prestigious university, but only after signing the contract did they realze it was effectively an on-campus hogwan that they had signed up to. Their lives were miserable. Within months of working there they went from happy go lucky sorts to miserable gits who couldn't wait to leave Korea. From their reports (and massive threads on the school over on Daves) it's apparent that the language institute there was a miserable place to work. People quitting or getting fired all the time. As with HUFS, I'm sure there are decent jobs for English instructors at Woosung University. Those jobs unfortunately are unlikely to be found in the "language institute". My suspicion is that's one reason why they keep advertising.

For me, anything with language institute in an advert is a massive red flag.
\

Ah..the ol' bait and switch. The unigwon game has been around forever.