Read 1905 times

• metzy244
  • Veteran

• August 30, 2013, 02:52:52 pm
    • South Korea
Skateboarding Basics? Can someone teach me beg skating lesson
« on: February 20, 2016, 09:00:51 pm »
So I found a skateboard here in Korea, and I've always wanted to learn. I've been teaching myself, and can get/stay on the board, push off, and turn.  I feel like I'd progress faster if someone wouldn't mind teaching me a basics lesson just once.  I can treat you to food or compensate for your time.

Really, I'm not looking to do crazy tricks, and my wheels are cruiser wheels.  I live in gyeongbuk-do, like 1.5 hours north of Daegu, but I can travel to you. 

Ideally my goals are to be able to use it to get around town, tic tac better, transition from street to curbs with ease, be able to skate reg(my stance) and goofy, and lastly the ollie (that can wait).  I figure I could learn a good foundation to get there.

Main issue is I'm a big guy- 6'5"tall, 250 lbs, 14us shoes...so heavier on a board, gotten used to falling.  If anyone has any good learner videos off youtube they rec that would help too.  Just let me know, would appreciate the assist!
-Brandon           
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 09:52:07 pm by metzy244 »

• metzy244
  • Veteran

• South Korea
Re: Skateboarding Basics? Can someone teach me beg skating lesson
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 09:53:21 pm »
Oh and I just bought a helmet and safety gear :P

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 10:13:36 am »
I can't really get an eye for it's relative size. is that a regular sized deck or one of those mini skateboard things which have become popular. If it's one of those mini things, I can't help you.

If it's a regular sized deck, all I can say is that you should do what I and every skater I've know has done; teach yourself. With the Youtube, learning to skate has never been easier. Here's a few things to start you off:

- Ditch the safety gear, you're not skating vert or grinding staircases. A few little tumbles will get
  rid of the nerves and help you stay more relaxed and confident over your board.

- Figure out if you're 'regular' or 'goofy' footed. While standing, have someone push you, from the front. The first foot that goes back usually determines your stance, (Right at the back = natural, left = goofy). Whatever feels more natural.

The following are guidelines, not rules, work from here and go with what feels natural.

- First learn to push yourself forward, keep your front foot facing forward, your toe should be a little behind the 2nd row of screws. While keeping your knees bent, and keeping yourself balanced, push off the ground with your back foot to roll forward. Once you're moving steadily, put your back foot and your board as well. At first, keep your centre of gravity low and do what you need to do to stay balanced (spread your arms), you won't look too cool, but you'll learn faster.

* Some skaters are called 'mongo', since they reverse the above by pushing off the ground with their front foot and keeping their back foot on the board.

- Once you're able to push and move in a straight line, you need to learn how to turn. It's important to note, that whenever you're not 'pushing' ^, your front foot should NOT be facing straight. I think most people have theirs facing about 45 degrees; go with what feels natural. Another really important thing to remember are your shoulders! You'll turn in the direction your shoulders are facing.
Simply get moving, and lean slightly towards your toe or heel to turn in the respective direction. Don't go for sharp turns, small and gradual at turns first.

- Next, you need to learn how to generate speed, without pushing. This is called the zigzag. It's best
  to watch this in action and try it. Basically, you're using your shoulders, front foot (to move your board) and back foot (to lift your board), to move in a sharp zigzag pattern to generate speed. This is a great exercise for learning control.

- When you're ready, go for your first trick; the ollie. An Ollie is a jump, with your board, and once mastered you'll be able to jump up pavements, over obstacles and even down stairs! Start by learning this stationery. Your back foot should be nearly off the back of your board, with the toes and ball of your foot on the back kick. Your front foot should be further back than normal, around the front middle of the board (the higher you want to ollie, the further back your front foot should be). It's a bit hard for me to explain the ollie, but I'll try. Coil your body, like a spring and explode up... Your first few tries, you'll look like a spanner, just jumping off your board while it stays on the ground, lol.

Anyway, while exploding up, in one motion, you need to push down on the kick, with your back foot and slide your front foot forward to level out your board in the air. Stay balanced and land it. It's much better to watch some tutorial vids.

After you've got a decent ollie, ollie up pavements, then go for the 180 ollie, shuvit, kickflip etc.

If your deck is an el cheepo, that's fine. However, the wheels, trucks and bearings which come with the department store skateboards are barely useable. Your first investment should be investing in better wheels, bearings (more bearings if you want to move faster, though not always a good thing) and trucks. Keep things well lubricated too.

Cheerio

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 12:15:50 pm »
Sorry, didn't read your post properly. If you can push and turn already, the ollie is definitely your next step. Remember the key to the zigzag/tick-tack lies in your shoulders and hips. After you get it down, go for some 180 powerslides. When going down low pavements, without an ollie, make sure you're moving with enough speed so you won't get stuck and lean back slightly.

Tony Hawk isn't much shorter than you. I'm 186cm myself, the long legs actually help provide more spring, I guess.

Don't worry about skating a different stance, or doing tricks fakie right now.

Just keep your knees bent, wear athletic shoes of course and keep your centre of gravity lower.
Skating isn't necessarily like learning an instrument where you have to master 'A' before moving onto 'B'; if you want to give something a shot, go for it, your skills will develop concurrently.

• metzy244
  • Veteran

• South Korea
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 03:39:04 pm »
Awesome, thanks Aristocrat.  And it is a regular deck, with new wheels, trucks, etc. I picked up in seoul

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 09:18:28 pm »
just don't push mongo. please.

• Hot6^
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 14, 2014, 02:46:01 pm
    • Bucheon
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 02:39:16 pm »

HEY! I Skate MONGO!

For all its disadvantages, the one thing mongo has...

PUSH PUSH PUSH. GGGRRRT... (tiny pebble or crack) faceplant.

Mongo: PUSH PUSH PUSH (hits pebbled or crack) no pressure over the front, it pops up a little, continue on.

Dude, you tube is your friend.

TONS of material there now.

If only it was like that when I was learning.

What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 10:15:43 pm »

HEY! I Skate MONGO!

For all its disadvantages, the one thing mongo has...

PUSH PUSH PUSH. GGGRRRT... (tiny pebble or crack) faceplant.

Mongo: PUSH PUSH PUSH (hits pebbled or crack) no pressure over the front, it pops up a little, continue on.

Dude, you tube is your friend.

TONS of material there now.

If only it was like that when I was learning.

fair, but it looks SO bad hahahaha.