Read 1794 times

• flowerpot
  • Waygookin

• July 05, 2010, 01:47:25 pm
    • South Korea
'Cultural tip' Gr6 L:4 'When is your Birthday'...Help!!
« on: April 25, 2011, 10:30:53 am »
I have been asked by my co teacher to come up with a 'cultural tip' for the Gr 6 lesson 'When is your birthday'.

Basically we have an open class tomorrow, and she wants me to talk about the difference between Korean culture and UK culture (where I am from) with regards to dates, birthdays, special days etc, anything related to the chapter.

I am at a bit of a loss really, and any ideas would be very welcome!!
Thanks

• kmvictory713
  • Adventurer

• September 10, 2010, 01:30:35 pm
    • Daegu, South Korea
Re: 'Cultural tip' Gr6 L:4 'When is your Birthday'...Help!!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 10:36:18 am »
Hey there,
Here's a ppt I made for my class last year.  It talks about the differences between Korean and Western birthdays.  There's material for the different kinds of birthdays we celebrate vs. the different ones Koreans celebrate.  Hope it's useful for you! Good luck!

• flowerpot
  • Waygookin

• July 05, 2010, 01:47:25 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 10:44:26 am »
Thats great, thank you so much! I was thinking of talking about the whole 'korean age/international age' thing, but wasnt sure how well the kids would understand me, the ppt helps heaps!

• glb0b
  • Expert Waygook

• July 06, 2010, 03:02:56 pm
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 10:48:54 am »
You could also include the difference between ages in Korea and UK. Koreans start at age 1 when they are born so Korean age is always 1 year older than Western age. Plus they add 1 year at the lunar new year (not on the day of their birthday) so if your birthday is late in the year from Feb until your birthday you are 2 years older in Korea than in the UK.

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 10:54:32 am »
You could do something about how we read horoscopes from the zodiac, and some people think they are very significant to your personality.
Or the fact that we all say the dates differently ie. ROK= yyyy-mm-dd,  USA=mm-dd-yyyy, UK=dd-mm-yyy
Or some traditional party games we have, like pass-the-parcel, musical chairs, pinata....

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 10:59:56 am »
Thanks, I'm going to use that power point too. I'd never heard of the golden birthday before, guess you learn something new everyday :)

• kmvictory713
  • Adventurer

• September 10, 2010, 01:30:35 pm
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 11:01:58 am »
No problem. 

By the way, golden birthdays aren't a huge celebration but I have friends who do make a big deal about it.  Plus, I think it's kind of a neat event when your age and birthday match up.  Honestly though, when I made the ppt I was just looking for more cultural differences to share with the kids so I stuck the golden birthday in there.