Read 1411 times

Tourist Visa
« on: February 19, 2016, 11:13:29 am »
Hello-

My husband and I were offered a position for private school and they want us to come quicker than our Visa's can get approved. They want us to come on a tourist visa and then go to Japan in 3 months for a day, while they work on our work visas. Is this legit? Can this have any repercussions on us? It sounds a bit shady.

Thank you in advance!

• wings
  • Adventurer

• June 04, 2013, 07:37:04 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
Re: Tourist Visa
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 02:30:47 pm »
You can come to Korea on a tourist visa, but you CANNOT work legally.  So, if your school is telling you to come now, start work, and then go to Japan, they are super shady and will most likely have some more tricks up their sleeves later on. 

• Korea13
  • Super Waygook

• May 29, 2013, 08:36:18 am
    • korea
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 03:08:05 pm »
Bad idea and I would avoid doing this.
First, you cannot work on a tourist visa at all. If caught, be sure to get ready to pay a huge fine and be deported.

Second, you will not have Pension or health insurance for 3 months as you need to have a valid working visa to enroll into these prpgram.

Third, you will have to deal with tax in a harder way since you are earning money illegally without the proper paperwork.

There are still other but these are the main thing. Wait until you have your visa.

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 04:29:29 pm »
Avoid that job if I was you.

• solveit
  • Super Waygook

• December 09, 2014, 03:52:02 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 08:09:26 pm »
I would flat out refuse any job asking me to work illegally for 3 months - on top of the risk of fines and deportation, if they don't pay you, there would be nothing at all you could do. Plus it won't take a day in Japan. I keep hearing different visa processing times, but it'll be at least 3 working days, if not longer - I recently read Fukuoka was now 4 days.

I know it's really close to the start of the new school year, and if they process a visa properly you'd arrive a little late, but it's not worth the risk.

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 12:08:56 am »
Thank you so much. We already passed on the contract because it seemed shady, but our recruiter is pushing it on us and I wanted to be sure I wasn't just passing on a normal situation that happens all the time. Thanks again!

• wings
  • Adventurer

• June 04, 2013, 07:37:04 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 08:42:38 am »
I would also drop your recruiter right away.  Make sure they know why.  Tell them that as they have no problem pushing to work illegally that you can't possibly trust them to look after your best interests.  When I was coming to Korea for the second time, I had a similar experience with a shady recruiter.  I told the specific recruiter that I was very unhappy, and also made sure to email their boss.  We need to let recruiters know that this kind of thing is not acceptable.  Tell them, and then tell us who they are.