Read 65867 times

• jamonamagnet
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2015, 10:09:26 am
    more
Re: School Thank You gift
« Reply #200 on: February 17, 2016, 01:19:49 pm »
Frankly, I wouldn't bother.  It is a nice thought, but you are leaving and eventually no-one will remember you, or care that you were there.

Your students will graduate.

Your principal will retire, or be transferred.

Your co-teachers will be transferred out and replaced.

The building will remain, but for how long is uncertain.

You should buy dinner for everyone and take lots of pictures.

Sorry I don't accept that premise.  Otherwise, money doesn't have owners just spenders, we all die, the earth will explode, etc so why bother at all?

Dinner has already been eliminated because usually head teachers/principals pay for that.  I would be stepping on toes because of pride, chain of command, etc.  Pictures is a good idea.  Thanks
What I meant was there will be nothing to tie you to that school in only a few months or years, not on a geological timescale.

• vietpham
  • Super Waygook

• April 28, 2012, 08:33:18 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #201 on: February 17, 2016, 01:25:10 pm »
Frankly, I wouldn't bother.  It is a nice thought, but you are leaving and eventually no-one will remember you, or care that you were there.

Your students will graduate.

Your principal will retire, or be transferred.

Your co-teachers will be transferred out and replaced.

The building will remain, but for how long is uncertain.

You should buy dinner for everyone and take lots of pictures.

Sorry I don't accept that premise.  Otherwise, money doesn't have owners just spenders, we all die, the earth will explode, etc so why bother at all?

Dinner has already been eliminated because usually head teachers/principals pay for that.  I would be stepping on toes because of pride, chain of command, etc.  Pictures is a good idea.  Thanks
What I meant was there will be nothing to tie you to that school in only a few months or years, not on a geological timescale.

I know this is just my school so it might not apply to others but we have faculty and graduating class photos on displaye right in front of the main office. 

• bjinglee
  • Expert Waygook

• March 10, 2011, 10:29:48 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #202 on: February 17, 2016, 11:20:39 pm »
if a korean teacher was leaving your school, would they spend 300,000won on a leaving gift?
In the PS's I've worked in it's very common for departing teachers to buy the entire staff individual rice cakes.

• oskinny1
  • Expert Waygook

• November 01, 2010, 10:31:37 am
    • Busan
« Reply #203 on: February 18, 2016, 12:44:22 am »
I bought a ton of pizza for everyone when I left.  Little did I know that I would be coming back to that exact same school to teach 2 years later and have people thank me for the pizza.

• vietpham
  • Super Waygook

• April 28, 2012, 08:33:18 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #204 on: February 18, 2016, 08:36:54 am »
if a korean teacher was leaving your school, would they spend 300,000won on a leaving gift?
In the PS's I've worked in it's very common for departing teachers to buy the entire staff individual rice cakes.

I personally think rice cakes don't taste good.   :sad: Other teachers get them for the rest of us for all types of reasons: spouse's promotion, grandchildren, kid's graduation/acceptance, etc.  It seems like a common thing.

I bought a ton of pizza for everyone when I left.  Little did I know that I would be coming back to that exact same school to teach 2 years later and have people thank me for the pizza.

That's crazy.  How did that happen? Leaving and coming back.  Was it on purpose?