Read 1954 times

Unpaid Time Off
« on: February 16, 2016, 09:48:14 am »
I've never taken unpaid time off yet and I'm not sure how it works.

I have a last minute opportunity to visit a friend in Vietnam this week.  I've just been deskwarming aka doing literally nothing.  However, no one else has really been in the office.  A few stop by at odd times here and there, but none of the English speakers.

I have contact information for my old co-teacher, who was a substitute.  However when I showed up on February 1st there was a new co-teacher here who told me she was replacing her only for the month of February (because it totally makes sense to hire someone new for a month when there's not school  :rolleyes:).  I'm not sure if the original substitute will be back in March or if the original non-substitute co-teacher who I've never met will be here.  Lack of communication.

Anyway.  I don't have any contact information for the February substitute co-teacher and she's not been here at all this week.  She seemed fairly clueless anyway.

How bad would it be if I just didn't show up on Friday?  If anyone brings it up next week could I just retroactively take unpaid leave?  I don't want to miss out on this opportunity because no one is here.

Re: Unpaid Time Off
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 09:52:14 am »
just don't show up. they won't fire you.

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 09:56:23 am »
You think?

Also the vice principal has been here most of the day every day this week.  She just doesn't have any English!

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 09:57:50 am »
How far in advance is unpaid leave typically arranged?

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 10:03:24 am »

Pretty bad advice, but then, you didn't try very hard or care very much, I guess.

If found out, there's no guarantees.

• vietpham
  • Super Waygook

• April 28, 2012, 08:33:18 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 10:25:12 am »

Pretty bad advice, but then, you didn't try very hard or care very much, I guess.

If found out, there's no guarantees.

I'm somewhere between these two but closer to the don't go opinion.  Unpaid time off still needs to be signed off by head teacher and both principals.  I'm guessing you're public and if it's vietnam at least 1 week.  If this is so, you leaving will cause at least annoyance and at worst terms for termination depending how sensitive said 3 people are.  At the very least tell someone at the school that you're taking unpaid time off. 

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 10:32:01 am »
I do care. I also know that most schools do not check to see if the NET is in. Most teachers aren't in.

If you wanna be extra careful, call in sick.

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 10:34:49 am »
I do care. I also know that most schools do not check to see if the NET is in. Most teachers aren't in.

If you wanna be extra careful, call in sick.

Where are you getting these stats from? Every school is different. The principal/VP can pop by the teachers' room at any time to say hello. If you're not there they could give you a call. Don't answer and don't call back is asking for trouble.

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 10:38:50 am »
Guess my advice is anecdotal. I am the only one in my English room, at both schools. No one EVER calls to check on me. I even take my lunch here. I didn't show up ONCE when I was supposed to, and crickets. I won't do it again, considering I am leaving the country in a few days, but, I personally think no one would notice if you aren't in a main teacher's office.

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 10:44:53 am »
The vp's desk is in the same room as mine.  Currently we are both here, plus 8 other teachers who rolled in and will roll out at random times.

The principal just popped in and walked around, too.

I mean I guess I could google translate something and write it out and show it to the vp, but it just sounds like a nightmare.

I only wanted to take off either the Friday or Monday and do a long weekend.

I'll probably just end up not doing it, but it's just such a shame as this is the only time I'd be able to visit this friend.

Side note, even if I was ever actually sick, with my co-teacher no longer at this school I have no way to contact anyone.  I don't have a phone and I just had her on facebook.

• donuts81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 20, 2010, 10:23:37 am
    • Korea
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 11:51:59 am »
I mean I guess I could google translate something and write it out and show it to the vp, but it just sounds like a nightmare.

At least try this or take a sick day. You're talking yourself out of it before you even try. It's only for one day. They really won't care all that much as long as you kinda get the idea across.

Don't just not turn up though. It will cause dramas
"You can't hurt me now, Mr Lee. I've lost all feeling"

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• December 27, 2010, 09:14:44 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 12:47:26 pm »
Get the number for your "handler" and message her that you are sick on Friday.

Easy enough.

Then arrive late on Monday.

No worries.

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• September 21, 2010, 10:28:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 01:00:18 pm »

Seriously, at least use Naver Translate; it's at least 10% less worthless. Or if you want to get it right, there are cheap instant messenger based short translation services for notes like this.
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

• vietpham
  • Super Waygook

• April 28, 2012, 08:33:18 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 01:16:14 pm »
The vp's desk is in the same room as mine.  Currently we are both here, plus 8 other teachers who rolled in and will roll out at random times.

The principal just popped in and walked around, too.

I only wanted to take off either the Friday or Monday and do a long weekend.

I'll probably just end up not doing it, but it's just such a shame as this is the only time I'd be able to visit this friend.

Side note, even if I was ever actually sick, with my co-teacher no longer at this school I have no way to contact anyone.  I don't have a phone and I just had her on facebook.

As the resident vietnamese, I'm totally against going to vietnam for just 3 days!  All jokes aside, since your desk is in the main office and there's alot of teachers around it sounds like a big school.  These are all negative but bear with me: If you call in sick someone might go check on you (it could be because of suspicion or genuine concern).  If you just don't show up, people might freak out and think you did a runner or just pissed off because you didn't come to work without telling anyone.   

The best thing I can recommend is don't do a google translate letter.  These personal requests are much more polite, intimate, and more like to succeed if someone does it in person.  In the past, I'd usually ask or get someone else who is sympathetic to the cause to ask.   I know your handler/coteacher is not around so try to find a friendly korean somewhere to do it.  I've had 100% success rate with this method.  Anecdotal and just my advice.