Read 3557 times

Flight Reimbursement help
« on: February 15, 2016, 10:50:42 am »
First of all, I did use the search feature for this topic. There is a thread not to far back on this issue but its full of people contradicting other people and its hard to know who has the correct information..

Anyways, my public school job with EPIK is coming to an end this month. I am moving to a different public school and I want to collect flight reimbursement. My contract states that I can go to ANY country. I would prefer to just collect the money, but if I need to go to China or Japan for a weekend to get the remainder of the allowance then I'd be down to do that. I talked to my co teacher and he seems unsure. What is the best way to collect the money?

• reudibeat
  • Veteran

• August 24, 2013, 01:13:46 pm
    • Ulsan South Korea
Re: Flight Reimbursement help
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 10:52:12 am »
If you're switching to another school in the same MOE/POE pretty sure you can't claim the flight reimbursement

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 10:56:29 am »
What does your contract say?

Your current contract may say something about what happens if you don't leave the country.

Your new contract may say something about what happens if you start and you're already in-country.

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 10:59:07 am »
What does your contract say?

Your current contract may say something about what happens if you don't leave the country.

Your new contract may say something about what happens if you start and you're already in-country.

My current contract says that I can leave to any country and that I'm entitled to an exit allowance of 1.3 or 1.5 mil won ( can't remember which ) . It doesn't say anything about how long I have to stay gone or that I have to go home. My new contract does state that I cannot go to another country and that I have to go to my home country, but I won't have to worry about that until next year.

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 11:04:37 am »
If there's no clause about providing evidence you took a flight (receipt, boarding pass) then it should just be paid to you as a lump sum in your final salary.

Good luck.

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 11:12:55 am »
If there's no clause about providing evidence you took a flight (receipt, boarding pass) then it should just be paid to you as a lump sum in your final salary.

Good luck.

My co teacher says that I can just send him the e-ticket through email.

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 11:36:59 am »
Well, it sounds like you are all set.

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 11:43:22 am »
Well, it sounds like you are all set.

Possibly. I just don't know if there is any way for them to check to see if I actually took the flight. I could in theory book the flight, send him the eticket, then immediately cancel the flight. But I don't know if there is any way to check to see if I actually went on the trip.

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 11:55:51 am »
Did you get a new visa for this new job? Or did you transfer your old one over? Depending on your MOE, it seems this is the biggest factor. If you've transferred visas, there's a chance your MOE will not pay the flight. There are points in some (not all) contracts about your flight/severance when requesting a visa transfer.

As for your newer question, I'm not sure if they'll check about you really leaving or not. The pension office told me they verify that people have left before paying out (when applicable), but I haven't heard of an MOE checking it.

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 12:00:37 pm »
Did you get a new visa for this new job? Or did you transfer your old one over? Depending on your MOE, it seems this is the biggest factor. If you've transferred visas, there's a chance your MOE will not pay the flight. There are points in some (not all) contracts about your flight/severance when requesting a visa transfer.

As for your newer question, I'm not sure if they'll check about you really leaving or not. The pension office told me they verify that people have left before paying out (when applicable), but I haven't heard of an MOE checking it.

There is nothing in my contract that mentions visas ( at least as far as the exit allowance is concerned ) . I will be transferring the old one to the new one but it should not matter because it wasn't a stipulation in the contract. Really the only stipulation it says is that I would provide proof of the flight. It doesn't say how long I have to be gone for, how soon I can come back or any of that stuff.

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 01:22:40 pm »
If you are renewing your visa and aren't leaving for another country, you shouldn't be getting the flight money or exit allowance.

When budget cuts made me leave EPIK and take a hagwon job, I told my public school I was moving to a new job in Korea, but they didn't understand the rules and paid me the flight money and exit allowance without telling me. I had to get a letter of release thing from the POE for my new job, and the POE wouldn't give it to me until I refunded the money.

So your school probably doesn't understand your contract either. Contact the POE to make sure.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07 pm
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 01:47:05 pm »
If you are renewing your visa and aren't leaving for another country, you shouldn't be getting the flight money or exit allowance.

When budget cuts made me leave EPIK and take a hagwon job, I told my public school I was moving to a new job in Korea, but they didn't understand the rules and paid me the flight money and exit allowance without telling me. I had to get a letter of release thing from the POE for my new job, and the POE wouldn't give it to me until I refunded the money.

So your school probably doesn't understand your contract either. Contact the POE to make sure.

I can leave the country if that helps my case. I have no problem taking a trip to Japan. My contract states that I have to exit to another country, but doesn't say that I have to go home. There is nothing in there that stays how long I have to be gone for either. The NEW contract for my new school is much more specific and it does say that I have to go to my home country. Do you think that they will honor what is in the contract or will they try to pull up some kind of a visa issue as an excuse not to pay me?

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 09:16:29 pm »
My co teacher said I just need to show proof of an eticket to another country. I thought I would have to jump through a bunch of hoops but I guess I got lucky.

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 07:41:52 am »
Well, except you are gaming the system and looking here for validation.

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2016, 08:53:25 am »

Nonsense. I have followed my contract to the letter. My contract also states that I have to leave to ANY country to receive the flight ticket. I am willing to travel in order to receive it. I do not intend to mislead anyone. I would of course rather collect the money, but if I have to travel to collect it then I will.

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2016, 10:15:55 am »

Nonsense. I have followed my contract to the letter. My contract also states that I have to leave to ANY country to receive the flight ticket. I am willing to travel in order to receive it. I do not intend to mislead anyone. I would of course rather collect the money, but if I have to travel to collect it then I will.

Just out of curiosity, if it wasn't for validation, why did you bother asking anyway? You have ignored/argued with everyone's advice so far, appearing like you already had your answer before you posted... which was in your contract, which none of us have access to...

So... why?

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2016, 10:32:34 am »

Just out of curiosity, if it wasn't for validation, why did you bother asking anyway? You have ignored/argued with everyone's advice so far, appearing like you already had your answer before you posted... which was in your contract, which none of us have access to...

So... why?

I was looking for people who have been in exact situation before and some of the old threads contained outdated information. Earlier I was putting forth my opinion and situation so people could know more details to further help me.I I wasn't arguing with anyone until someone accused me of trying to " game the system " by trying to actually use a benefit of my job. But I got my answer.

Cheers!

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2016, 10:40:02 am »
My co teacher said I just need to show proof of an eticket to another country. I thought I would have to jump through a bunch of hoops but I guess I got lucky.

Your school is not the POE and your contract is with the POE, not the school. Email your province's EPIK coordinator and ask them to clarify. If you get improperly paid they could withhold visa or tax documents needed for your next job.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07 pm
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2016, 11:18:31 am »

Your school is not the POE and your contract is with the POE, not the school. Email your province's EPIK coordinator and ask them to clarify. If you get improperly paid they could withhold visa or tax documents needed for your next job.

Got it. Thanks!

• DaStrongOne
  • Moderator LVL 1

• December 01, 2015, 08:59:17 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2016, 01:19:09 pm »
my public school job with EPIK is coming to an end this month. I am moving to a different public school and I want to collect flight reimbursement.

I'm surprised no one has asked this yet -- Are you collecting the 2mil renewal bonus?

It was my understanding you either get the 2mil and a week vacation OR the 1.3mil exit allowance.. I believe if you check the renewal section of your contract it will say this.
ESL in the ROK - 19 games for any lesson - simply enter your data/choose a lesson and play