Read 2775 times

Public school renewals: what's required for you?
« on: February 06, 2016, 10:58:10 pm »
I'm asking what hoops you have to jump through for renewal.  I will have to do a lengthy 3 or 4 person panel interview.  A buddy in another province says they all have to do demonstration teaching in front of a panel and then go through a lengthy panel interview like me.  Is this crap all over Korea or just in some places?  It use to be: "You wanna renew?"  Me: "Yup".  Them: " 'K, we'll let you know in a couple of weeks."  Me:  "Sweet."

Seriously, makes me want to either go to another province or China, or whatever. 

Re: Public school renewals: what's required for you?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 11:20:38 pm »
It use to be: "You wanna renew?"  Me: "Yup".  Them: " 'K, we'll let you know in a couple of weeks."  Me:  "Sweet."

In my case? Same. Nothing. No hoops, no bs just sweet sweet renewal.

For the record I'm in Gyeongsangnam-do. Ulsan city.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 11:23:02 pm by DMZabductee »

• nomadicmadda
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 01, 2014, 06:49:40 am
    • Seoul, formerly Boseong
    more
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 03:37:39 pm »
Which POE are you employed by, if you don't mind me asking?  I'm with JLP and we pretty much just fill out paperwork and submit. :huh:

• Imogen1991
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 18, 2015, 12:26:47 am
    • Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 03:46:59 pm »
Which POE are you employed by, if you don't mind me asking?  I'm with JLP and we pretty much just fill out paperwork and submit. :huh:

Yup, this. I think my co-t, vp and principal also did an evaluation (against my knowledge, just based on my work throughout the year i guess) and as long as you pass that you can renew. 80% means a renewal at the same school, 90% or more means you can transfer if you want to.

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 10:47:31 pm »

Yup, this. I think my co-t, vp and principal also did an evaluation (against my knowledge, just based on my work throughout the year i guess) and as long as you pass that you can renew. 80% means a renewal at the same school, 90% or more means you can transfer if you want to.

Dang, I think I'm switching locations.  This is BS.  I like making 3 million a month and a pay cut isn't to my liking.  But, this is ridiculous.  It's only a few education offices to my knowledge.  But, a friend in another province says they are doing it for the entire province at the Provincial Education Office. 

Those who work in JLP, is it the EPIK pay scale?  I'd prob have to take a pay cut and work my way back up again.  Yikes!!

• Imogen1991
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 12:47:53 pm »

Dang, I think I'm switching locations.  This is BS.  I like making 3 million a month and a pay cut isn't to my liking.  But, this is ridiculous.  It's only a few education offices to my knowledge.  But, a friend in another province says they are doing it for the entire province at the Provincial Education Office. 

Those who work in JLP, is it the EPIK pay scale?  I'd prob have to take a pay cut and work my way back up again.  Yikes!!

I couldnt say because I dont know what the EPIK pay scale is

For most, 1st years get 2.3 million, 2nd years 2.5 and 3rd years 2.7 (i think)
There is also the opportunity to earn more through online teaching too, as well as some schools who offer afterschool classes.
We also get 8 days paid vacation in Summer and 24 in winter, not sure how that compares to EPIK

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 03:34:11 pm »
are those 8 and 24 calendar days, or working days? because most other provinces offer 8 working days in summer, and 10 working days in winter. so 18 total. works out to about 1 month of calendar days leave, so about the same as the guys in JLP then if you peeps in JLP are talking about calendar days of vacation. maybe a little more in JLP actually, but it's pretty similar.

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 03:36:49 pm »
I'm asking what hoops you have to jump through for renewal.  I will have to do a lengthy 3 or 4 person panel interview.  A buddy in another province says they all have to do demonstration teaching in front of a panel and then go through a lengthy panel interview like me.  Is this crap all over Korea or just in some places?  It use to be: "You wanna renew?"  Me: "Yup".  Them: " 'K, we'll let you know in a couple of weeks."  Me:  "Sweet."

Seriously, makes me want to either go to another province or China, or whatever.

damn man what POE/MOE is that? a panel interview just for another 1 year contract is ridiculous. honestly i'd tell them to go shove it. jobs here in SK have gotten a little tighter but there are still jobs to be had.

• Imogen1991
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 03:37:25 pm »
are those 8 and 24 calendar days, or working days? because most other provinces offer 8 working days in summer, and 10 working days in winter. so 18 total. works out to about 1 month of calendar days leave, so about the same as the guys in JLP then if you peeps in JLP are talking about calendar days of vacation. maybe a little more in JLP actually, but it's pretty similar.

calendar days, so yeah about the same i guess! you can plan it quite well though if you just make sure theres a weekend at the beginning and end of your vacation  :wink: with seollal too i have friends who have been away for the entire month this winter

• tomoakleaf
  • Veteran

• September 22, 2012, 03:38:47 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 04:01:04 pm »
I've found that even if you do a great job as a teacher it's not what the school is mostly concerned with. With JLP for most teachers they've probably got nice VP and P who see that you do great work and contribute to the school.  Sadly, I was in a school and the V and VP were not very nice people.  Actually, I should say that is was mostly the VP.  She had a personality problem and all the staff in the school hated her guts.

EPIK is a nice job but sometimes if you work alongside the wrong type of Korean then it can be miserable.

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 05:38:22 pm »
I worked a school near Soerae Village (Express bus terminal). Renewals were straight forward.

Open class for P/VP/Co-teachers/Other teachers.
Meeting/Yearly review with P/VP/ Head Co-teacher

Most of it seemed like going through the motions (SMOE had clear instructions for renewals)

It would have been nice to just sign a paper and be done with it but meh....

It's funny when people complain about going through an actual renewal process. Korea is a kiss ass culture. Gotta play it.

China is not as bad but still a 'save face' culture as well.

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 07:02:03 pm »
I'm with JLP so I can't speak for EPIK. But here it's really up to the school's P/VP. If they like you then its going to be a simple "Do you want to renew? Ok sign this" and it's done. However if the P/VP doesn't like you, or if they need to appear "tough" for some political reason, or if you haven't had an open class recently, then they will do the evaluation.

Your chances of actually getting rejected are pretty much slim to none. It costs POEs a lot of money to cycle in new teachers every year, so there's a strong financial incentive to keep you around even if you're not very good at teaching.

If you switch between EPIK and JLP then yeah you lose all your experiential pay. In the Korean mindset, you get pay raises for being loyal and sticking with your employer. It doesn't have anything to do with your increased performance on the job, like it would in the west.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 07:06:47 pm by robobob9000 »

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 09:56:17 pm »
When I renewed they asked 'Are you going to renew?'

I said yes.

They said 'Sign this then'

That was that.

• yfb
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2010, 11:50:12 am
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 08:37:05 am »
What was required?

Aside from the required immigration documents, it was yet another health checkup and drug test. Small price to pay for an awesome school though. No interview or anything of the sort.