Read 4055 times

• Toshiba
  • Super Waygook

• December 15, 2011, 02:18:45 pm
    • not good!
After-school jobs and...vacation.
« on: February 05, 2016, 09:48:05 am »
Wow, after-school positions don't offer much vacation time do they? Ten days! Can we at least take them together for a trip home, or are these ten days divided between summer and winter?

Most of us need to get home to visit family.

Re: After-school jobs and...vacation.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 10:19:36 am »
Wow, after-school positions don't offer much vacation time do they? Ten days! Can we at least take them together for a trip home, or are these ten days divided between summer and winter?

check your contract? That's the most reliable source of information. Also check if its 10 days, or 10 working days.
Open your mind.

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 10:26:03 am »
Typically no, the school decides when you take them. Many will just put them on top of public holidays, which sucks because then you're competing with the entire country for vacation plans. Hagwons need to be open all year long because that's where kids go when they're on vacation from public school. So they need people who can work all year long.

If you want vacation time then you need to look at public schools. The pay will be lower, and you'll need to accept a more rural location, but you can get significantly more vacation time.

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 11:05:42 am »
I second the suggestion to check your contract.

I've taught in the after-school program for two years. My experience has been that you have a full ten working days. Usually the summer days are the last week of July into the first week of August. Winter vacation varies, but normally coincides with New Years.

Alot of it though has is up to the school you work at. Although my contract specifically states 10 days it usually works out to about three or four weeks. I had a weeks off in the beginning of may, July, Chuseok, New Years, and Lunar New Year.  The May week was just because of scheduling. Children's Day and Buddah's birthday fell within a few days of each other, and as a result they just gave us two extra days off.  Last year they also canceled desk warming when my daughter was born.

• donuts81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 20, 2010, 10:23:37 am
    • Korea
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 02:42:12 pm »
Their vacation operates the same way as many hogwans. 10days and the school decides when, 5 in summer and 5 in winter.

For my contract I negotiated 15days paid vacation where I can choose to add the extra 5 days to winter or summer vacation. I was lucky though and most companies aren't going to extend your vacation, especially on your first contract.

Also, don't come in until 12pm (lunch) and try to get paid 2.5mil - 3mil+, plus housing (excluding any airfare, which they don't usually give). Salary mostly depends on your experience and visa type.

Oh, and I've seen a few after-school jobs advertised on here for terrible money and crap conditions. Don't believe them. The contract is fully negotiable when it comes to salary and starting time.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 02:48:17 pm by donuts81 »
"You can't hurt me now, Mr Lee. I've lost all feeling"

• Fanwarrior
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 06, 2011, 09:19:35 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 04:08:35 pm »
The labour law says you can take your vacation whenever you want but your company is allowed to veto the time if they can prove there is a better, economical, time for you to take it. In this case most schools will completely close for a week during the summer and winter vacations and they will schedule your vacation during that time because otherwise they'd have to hire a substitute. Keep in mind that in the second year, they're technically supposed to give you more vacation days than 10, but you'd have to fight for them.

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 08:10:46 pm »
You're basically giving up cushy public school vacations in exchange for making public school money while working like 4-5 hours a day instead of 8.

Also folks should keep in mind that after-school programs aren't the same as hagwons, they're usually some kind of private company that sends teachers to public schools to teach kids who can't afford hagwons.

The hours must be nice but there are some SHADY companies that do these programs. I applied to one last year and the recruiter was so sketched out after she met the mafioso "director" ajeossi that she recommended I didn't take the job.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07 pm
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 12:14:54 pm »
Anyone have an after-school company recommendations? Most of the ones I've seen listed don't sound much better than a hagwon.

• Fanwarrior
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 06, 2011, 09:19:35 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 10:41:29 pm »
Anyone have an after-school company recommendations? Most of the ones I've seen listed don't sound much better than a hagwon.

Even at the lower end they're better than hagwons. After school is 6 hours working time max. Some 5. At the lower end their base pay is the same as a hagwon, and they often give a little more housing allowance.

So you're already saving 2-3 hours a day, a lot of hagwons are 9 hours (including 1 for lunch). At the more average range of 2.4-2.5ish for base salary you're making out better than a hagwon and working less. I honestly do understand how some places think they can get away with paying people 2.1 for 9-10 hours a day when there are jobs out there like that.

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 11:52:00 pm »

Even at the lower end they're better than hagwons. After school is 6 hours working time max. Some 5. At the lower end their base pay is the same as a hagwon, and they often give a little more housing allowance.

So you're already saving 2-3 hours a day, a lot of hagwons are 9 hours (including 1 for lunch). At the more average range of 2.4-2.5ish for base salary you're making out better than a hagwon and working less. I honestly do understand how some places think they can get away with paying people 2.1 for 9-10 hours a day when there are jobs out there like that.

Yeah I'm at an afterschool now. Got my F visa last year and applied for one right away.The hours are the best plus for me. Even when when we have to start earlier because of school vacation, I like that because I'm done by 1:25.

I thought about applying for a public school, but even with more vacation, I'd rather take the 3.0 from and after school rather than take 2.2 with public.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 07:01:14 pm »

Yeah I'm at an afterschool now. Got my F visa last year and applied for one right away.The hours are the best plus for me. Even when when we have to start earlier because of school vacation, I like that because I'm done by 1:25.

I thought about applying for a public school, but even with more vacation, I'd rather take the 3.0 from and after school rather than take 2.2 with public.
you get housing too?

• Lawrence
  • Super Waygook

• March 06, 2013, 10:59:23 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 11:16:37 pm »

No they don't but instead of asking people that have no idea about your situation how about asking your employer. The boss or someone in the office can give you a definite answer, people on Waygook can't because we don't know what your contract says and we have no power over your schools to negotiate.

• Toshiba
  • Super Waygook

• December 15, 2011, 02:18:45 pm
    • not good!
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 01:59:13 pm »

No they don't but instead of asking people that have no idea about your situation how about asking your employer. The boss or someone in the office can give you a definite answer, people on Waygook can't because we don't know what your contract says and we have no power over your schools to negotiate.

I'm not working at an after-school job (as of yet) and therefore do not have a contract to consult. I'm just going by the information I see on adverts for after-school jobs on this site. They usually say just "ten days vacation" without offering further information.

• outsider
  • Veteran

• July 03, 2014, 04:19:05 am
    • Bucheon
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 08:34:06 am »
Outside of public schools, universities and, international schools 10 days vacation is standard.

You do end up with a lot more days off in an ASP than in a hagwon.  But, your unlikely to get more than 1 full week off at a time to take a trip home.

• ThulsaDoom
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• December 08, 2009, 09:03:06 pm
    • Busan
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 02:00:25 pm »
I had to make up my vacation time with extended classes later.  Also, our school took a day off during the school year yet that counted against my vacation days despite much protesting on my part.  I really need to go back to university and get a job where I don't have to grovel for one vacation day that I am owed.  :laugh:

After school programs and the companies are a joke here.  The only good thing about them, in my experience, is the working hours and possibly your co-teacher.  Everything else was pretty awful (but that could be dependent on the area I worked and the company I worked for) from very rude students and some with severe behavior problems, my manager deciding to take away my health insurance, etc.

Subsequent interviews didn't go any better with some of the really dodgy companies out there from one manager cursing out his employee as I sit at the table waiting for the interview to start, one interviewer asking me why I'm not married yet, another after school company essentially promising me a job that I was told was open then telling me "Oh so sorry.  The current teacher wants to renew." and one smug jackass who asked me more questions about my then current after school company than about teaching. 

• Horus
  • Expert Waygook

• March 22, 2011, 08:15:24 am
    • Korea
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 02:21:53 pm »
Anyone wish to begin a list of the after-school companies to avoid?

• donuts81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 20, 2010, 10:23:37 am
    • Korea
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2016, 03:55:38 pm »
I'm not working at an after-school job (as of yet) and therefore do not have a contract to consult. I'm just going by the information I see on adverts for after-school jobs on this site. They usually say just "ten days vacation" without offering further information.

Ten days is standard, but be careful of some of the jobs advertised on here. I've seen a few lately that have terrible hours and low pay.

I had to make up my vacation time with extended classes later.  Also, our school took a day off during the school year yet that counted against my vacation days despite much protesting on my part.  I really need to go back to university and get a job where I don't have to grovel for one vacation day that I am owed.

That's basically because of how the system works. If the after-school doesn't fill 20 working days a month then the PS can put pressure on them by either forcing them to refund the students' money or telling them their contract won't be renewed. Most after-schools will then extend classes by 5-10 mins until you payback the time (some just say they will but ignore it). No big deal. The problem comes in when you have a difficult principal or VP who doesn't want your school to do that and goes on some power trip trying to cut your vacation. That's when you are going to either have to eat a Saturday or have your school find another solution. They aren't going to want to, but usually will bend if you stay strong. Of course, you may need to go nuclear and say you'll find another job.

Anyone wish to begin a list of the after-school companies to avoid?
Could be all of them :laugh: Almost every after-school is going to have some sort of issue and if you don't know what to expect or how the system is run then they will probably try to take advantage of you. You really need to have a good idea of what you are doing, what you're worth and be able to stick up for yourself. You can get lucky, but there are a lot of shady(ish) outfits in the market. On the positive side, you can have a great opportunity to negotiate and generally have more flexibility than at a hagwon or PS.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 03:29:28 pm by donuts81 »
"You can't hurt me now, Mr Lee. I've lost all feeling"