Read 1210 times

• mr
  • Veteran

• October 31, 2012, 07:47:33 am
    • Seoul
reference letter
« on: February 03, 2016, 01:03:41 pm »
Hello people,

I asked two of my coteachers who I have taught with over tha last 3 years for a reference letter. They said I can write the letters and they will sign it. No problem.
Two questions :
1. At the end,  under their signature, what is their title? Teaching partner? Co-teacher? Supervisor? The letter I got from my hogwon before this job said academic director.

2. For those of you who had received reference letters from a public school, could you get it with the school's letter head or school stamp or something official looking. Somehow my coteachers seem reluctant to agree to a school stamp or letterhead.

• nomadicmadda
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 01, 2014, 06:49:40 am
    • Seoul, formerly Boseong
    more
Re: reference letter
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 02:11:28 pm »
1. At the end,  under their signature, what is their title? Teaching partner? Co-teacher? Supervisor? The letter I got from my hogwon before this job said academic director.
It should be their position in the school, not their work relation to you.  Their relation to you should be explained in the beginning paragraph of the letter.  For example, one of my CT's is the head of the English department at my school, so he would sign his:

김범수
English Department Head
XXX High School

2. For those of you who had received reference letters from a public school, could you get it with the school's letter head or school stamp or something official looking. Somehow my coteachers seem reluctant to agree to a school stamp or letterhead.
My VP wrote me one last year and just typed and printed it.  Letters of reference aren't as big of a thing here, so I don't think the letterhead is going to make a massive difference.  They likely feel weird because it makes it seem like some huge official document to do so.

I had my VP write mine in Korean, so she could really express herself freely.  I plan on taking all letters of rec. that I have and having them professionally translated for use outside of Korea, but I think the fact that they're written in Korean will speak enough of their authenticity if I apply at other schools.

• mr
  • Veteran

• October 31, 2012, 07:47:33 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 02:25:58 pm »
Thanks Nomadicmadda ;D
What would you say is the title of a regular korean teacher, though? My one CT is the English Dept. Head, but the other one is just a regular teacher.

• nomadicmadda
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 01, 2014, 06:49:40 am
    • Seoul, formerly Boseong
    more
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 02:46:13 pm »
Thanks Nomadicmadda ;D
What would you say is the title of a regular korean teacher, though? My one CT is the English Dept. Head, but the other one is just a regular teacher.
No problem.  I know they're a pain in the ass for us, and are even more overwhelming for Koreans since they don't really do them.  For your regular teacher:

Kind regards,

[Signature Here]

Beom-su Kim (김범수)
English Teacher
XXX High School

If you're planning to use this only in Korea, I would actually get in written in Korean and make sure to put the name, title, and school in Korean followed by English in parentheses.  If you're using it internationally, I would write it as above.  That's not some official format though, that's just my personal preference as to what sounds and looks professional and polished.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 02:51:43 pm by nomadicmadda »