Read 3013 times

• Trina
  • Waygookin

• March 20, 2012, 03:14:42 pm
    • seoul
Hi,I was wondering for those that work with SMOE?Do you know already what school you will teach this coming year?Did they tell you your school?

• nomadicmadda
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 01, 2014, 06:49:40 am
    • Seoul, formerly Boseong
    more
Re: SMOE?Do you know already what school you will teach this coming year?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 09:50:33 am »
Your poll options say "Yes" and... "Yes" :laugh:

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 09:59:53 am »
Typically you won't even know which part of the city you'll be in until the final day of orientation.

EPIK are now dividing up successful applicants into their final destinations ahead of time, not sure about SMOE.

• Trina
  • Waygookin

• March 20, 2012, 03:14:42 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 10:06:11 am »
Okay thanks guys!!  ;)

• mr
  • Veteran

• October 31, 2012, 07:47:33 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 11:24:37 am »
Im leaving SMOE and my coteach already told me the name of the person who is replacing me. The new teacher is a transfer though and not fresh off the plane

• jomi
  • Veteran

• April 07, 2015, 02:07:46 pm
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 11:46:25 am »
SMOE told me one place literally the day the guy got back from his vacation and I called them freaking out because my school seemingly thought I couldn't renew at all but I've apparently ended up at a different school. I'm not bothered either way. But yes I do know where I'll be transferred to.

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 04:17:56 pm »
The only applicants who will know of their school prior to the final day of orientation will be those at special schools (i.e. SGHS, SEEC, SETI). SMOE/EPIK knows already where everyone is going (or at least almost everyone) but won't tell you until the afternoon you get on a bus.

Of course, through "unofficial" channels (like what mr said), sometimes you can find out earlier.
I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• September 21, 2010, 10:28:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 08:45:40 am »
I was told a while back that the school receives two pieces of information prior to your arrival: your payscale and your email address. Some take the initiative to get in touch prior (as my awesome co-teacher did when I first arrived in Daejeon) but sadly most do not.
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 08:46:11 am »
Im leaving SMOE and my coteach already told me the name of the person who is replacing me. The new teacher is a transfer though and not fresh off the plane

Wouldn't happen to be a woman with initials A.P.? ;) I'm desperate to unofficially find out my placement. Lol
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 09:17:29 am by AnaTeacher »

• jomi
  • Veteran

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 10:24:41 am »

Wouldn't happen to be a woman with initials A.P.? ;) I'm desperate to unofficially find out my placement. Lol

I'm also desperate lol I know the school but i'd love for the person I'm replacing to contact me so i can find out about the workload and housing condition since I got told yesterday I'm being forced to move.
so if any of waygook in in south west seoul being replaces by a female with initials G.B......

• mr
  • Veteran

• October 31, 2012, 07:47:33 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 11:32:10 am »
I'm desperate to unofficially find out my placement. Lol
It's not AP or GB, and count yourself lucky. I feel quite sorry for the poor woman who will replace me.

I understand though that my replacement  knows that she will come here. Aparently she will come next week to meet the principal. And I know that my coteach had spoken to the replacement's coteach, so perhaps ask your handler where you are transfering to.

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 12:06:02 pm »
Trick poll, which yes stands for the positive and which yes stands for the negative? If I vote both would two positives become a negative? Or would that mean that I just voted yes twice like a complete and utter fool?! Agghhhh I can't take the suspense in not knowing!

Is it yes? or yes?!

Actually I'm not with the SMOE, but when I first came here 7 years ago they cut me at the last minute along with 120 other teachers due to overhiring, so I thought I'd chirp in.

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• December 27, 2010, 09:14:44 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 12:47:12 pm »
i'd love for the person I'm replacing to contact me so i can find out about the workload and housing condition since I got told yesterday I'm being forced to move.
It sounds like you are working in the public school system.  If you are, you would know that this is now the END of the school year, not the beginning.

There is no way of knowing what next year's "workload" is going to be, so no one would be able to answer that question.

As for the housing condition, it's doubtful you would be able to change it, so you are merely setting yourself up for disappointment.

The sooner you remove these expectations from your mind, the better off you will be when you start anew in March.

Stay positive.

• jomi
  • Veteran

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 12:56:39 pm »
i'd love for the person I'm replacing to contact me so i can find out about the workload and housing condition since I got told yesterday I'm being forced to move.
It sounds like you are working in the public school system.  If you are, you would know that this is now the END of the school year, not the beginning.

There is no way of knowing what next year's "workload" is going to be, so no one would be able to answer that question.

As for the housing condition, it's doubtful you would be able to change it, so you are merely setting yourself up for disappointment.

The sooner you remove these expectations from your mind, the better off you will be when you start anew in March.

Stay positive.

Yes I am aware it's the end of the school year not the start. I'm in school currently. Why are you assuming I am stupid?
Anyone that has been working there for a year or more will know the general size and the kind of schedule I can expect. By workload I mean I currently see 24 classes once a week in grades 4-6. The new school might not be as big, I might see grade 3-6 in the new school, I might see classes twice a week not once.  The person leaving the school is going to have more of an idea than I will, they can let me know what their schedule was like this year, likely the next school year will be similar.

I'm already unhappy with the fact I have to move. Because of the area I'm moving to I'm frankly expecting a total hovel. I'm not setting myself up for disappointment, I want to know what I'm moving in to so I can prepare for it. I'm aware I can't do much to change because I've been fighting to keep my current apartment the past two weeks or so.

I don't see what is so wrong with wanting more than a day or two to prepare for a new working and living environment.

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• December 27, 2010, 09:14:44 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 01:04:55 pm »
Well, why don't you contact him, instead of waiting for him to contact you?

You said you know where it is, why not leave early today and drop by your new school?

If it's important to you, why would you not?

I hope you like what you find out.