Read 37345 times

Re: THE NETFLIX KOREA THREAD
« Reply #140 on: December 27, 2016, 11:01:55 am »
As my one month free subscription draws to an end, I'm leaning toward not renewing with Netflix Korea. Their search function allows you to search for audio and subtitle languages, but not at the same time, which is a bother. I was hoping be able to watch Korean movies with English subs, but I've only been able to turn up about five titles that fit those rather minimal criteria, none of them titles I'm all that interesting in view in the first place.  And as was said before, their library just isn't that extensive, for English nor Korean titles. A search for 'Christmas movies' yielded something like 6 results; not even White Christmas, though 'Christmas Vacation', 'A Christmas Story', and 'Elf' were much appreciated! 'A Very Murray Christmas', too, though at this point I'd say the Bill Murray shtick has about run its course.

If you want to watch Korean shows with English subs, you need to be accessing the US versio of Netflix.  They have an extensive catalog of both Korean movies and shows with English or Korean subtitles. The Korean netflix on the other hand has limited variety, even of Korean shows, and no English subs for the majority.  It makes little sense.

« Reply #141 on: December 27, 2016, 11:04:57 am »
As my one month free subscription draws to an end, I'm leaning toward not renewing with Netflix Korea. Their search function allows you to search for audio and subtitle languages, but not at the same time, which is a bother. I was hoping be able to watch Korean movies with English subs, but I've only been able to turn up about five titles that fit those rather minimal criteria, none of them titles I'm all that interesting in view in the first place.  And as was said before, their library just isn't that extensive, for English nor Korean titles. A search for 'Christmas movies' yielded something like 6 results; not even White Christmas, though 'Christmas Vacation', 'A Christmas Story', and 'Elf' were much appreciated! 'A Very Murray Christmas', too, though at this point I'd say the Bill Murray shtick has about run its course.

If you want to watch Korean shows with English subs, you need to be accessing the US versio of Netflix.  They have an extensive catalog of both Korean movies and shows with English or Korean subtitles. The Korean netflix on the other hand has limited variety, even of Korean shows, and no English subs for the majority.  It makes little sense.

that's bunk

« Reply #142 on: January 05, 2017, 10:27:58 am »
Apparently, to little fanfare, Amazon Video has also arrived in Korea.
www.primevideo.com

The lack of fanfare makes sense given its paltry selection. It makes Netflix's library look massive in comparison. For example, there are only 42 titles total that have Korean subtitles. They also only provide one week for a free-trial versus Netflix's full month. They probably figured that with any more time one would exhaust their library before the free trial was up. I was assured by the customer service chat representative that they're constantly adding new titles, however.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #143 on: January 05, 2017, 10:35:06 am »
Cool. Thanks for the heads up.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #144 on: November 03, 2018, 05:50:09 pm »
Does Netflix Korea offer English subtitles for all Korean content, and Korean subs for all English language content?

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #145 on: November 03, 2018, 07:44:59 pm »
Does Netflix Korea offer English subtitles for all Korean content, and Korean subs for all English language content?

Nope. There are definitely some Korean shows on Netflix that don't have English subs. Annoyingly, even in cases where the show has English subs if you watch it on US Netflix or whatever. Incidentally, if you watch something in a language that is neither English nor Korean, there's a chance it will only have Korean subtitles. I found that out when I tried to watch some anime and it didn't have English subs.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #146 on: November 05, 2018, 10:52:07 am »
My son told me this yesterday...

Apparently you can use a VPN to download content from Netflix in other regions, then put your device in air-plane mode to watch it.

« Reply #147 on: November 05, 2018, 01:42:20 pm »

It's about half and half. Newer and more popular/famous stuff most likely has English, but the other stuff probably takes more time to backup.

• ESLTurtle
  • Super Waygook

• October 25, 2017, 07:58:46 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #148 on: November 05, 2018, 05:53:55 pm »
It's all about the vampire diaries.  8)

« Reply #149 on: November 06, 2018, 12:43:06 pm »
My son told me this yesterday...

Apparently you can use a VPN to download content from Netflix in other regions, then put your device in air-plane mode to watch it.
On a computer, that probably doesn't work as the Netflix browser and PC apps only (AFAIK) do streaming. But on a phone, that could work if you connect to a VPN server that works with Netflix. I know that on PIA, not all of their US servers work with Netflix. I think it's because Netflix keeps lists of IP addresses for VPN servers and blocks them, since their licenses don't allow for viewing in other markets.

And that's why the subtitle availability is so variable between their markets. Watch a Korean show on Korean Netflix and there will usually be no English subs. Watch the same show in the US and you will often have the subs for English and Spanish for the same; the licensing agreement allows for them to be used in the US but not Korea.

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• June 02, 2018, 06:25:54 pm
« Reply #150 on: April 15, 2019, 03:32:46 am »
Will you guys be able to watch the new season of Game of Thrones on nf?
green everything

« Reply #151 on: April 15, 2019, 11:21:09 am »
no.  going to have to go into pirate mode for that

« Reply #152 on: April 15, 2019, 11:29:53 am »
Will you guys be able to watch the new season of Game of Thrones on nf?

hbo go for me