Read 37481 times

• seantheman
  • Veteran

• June 25, 2013, 06:23:10 am
    • dublin Ireland
Re: Netflix Under Fire from Korean Media
« Reply #120 on: May 09, 2016, 02:07:18 pm »
I had introduced my girlfriend to 'An Idiot Abroad' and we were in the middle of season 2 when they decided to remove it from Netflix.

I still haven't found a decent 'free' proxy to get to watching US/UK/Canada netflix since they blocked Hola and others.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #121 on: May 09, 2016, 02:15:45 pm »

Finally, you must use a Korea card now.  :rolleyes:

Anyone trying to access it in Korea, or anyone who has a Korean address listed on their account details? I'm still paying with an American card using an account with my parents' address, and I'm still able to access it. I'm still limited to the Korea region selection and I get a "Travelling with Netflix?" message letting me know that not all of my shows are available here, but I haven't heard anything about needing a Korean card.

« Reply #122 on: May 09, 2016, 03:32:14 pm »
Public service announcement:

Better Call Saul season 2 is back! (watched the last 3 episodes on the pirate bay out of spite/frustration anyway)

For those that can't pass the date of birth bull shit. (not sure if they've fixed that/customer support told me it was impossible for foreigners)...Just ask any Korean,wife, gf, old lady off the street, your CT, whatever floats your boat.

Pretty sure they updated it so that your name is required to match your credit card when you try to verify your age. That's the case for me anyway. Not that I was having any luck with the BS verification system before anyway....

• Menlyn
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 02:10:21 pm
    • Suwon
« Reply #123 on: May 10, 2016, 07:58:26 am »

Better Call Saul season 2 is back! (watched the last 3 episodes on the pirate bay out of spite/frustration anyway)

For those that can't pass the date of birth bull shit. (not sure if they've fixed that/customer support told me it was impossible for foreigners)...Just ask any Korean,wife, gf, old lady off the street, your CT, whatever floats your boat.

Pretty sure they updated it so that your name is required to match your credit card when you try to verify your age. That's the case for me anyway. Not that I was having any luck with the BS verification system before anyway....

Nope. Not for me anyways. The account was made in my name, using my Korean credit card. When my many attempts to "age-verify" failed, I plugged in my wife's details, and it worked. So now the verification is in my wife's name, but the credit card is mine (and in my name).

« Reply #124 on: May 10, 2016, 08:13:59 am »
I had introduced my girlfriend to 'An Idiot Abroad' and we were in the middle of season 2 when they decided to remove it from Netflix.

I still haven't found a decent 'free' proxy to get to watching US/UK/Canada netflix since they blocked Hola and others.

It's the Korean tv ratings people. They've taken a load of stuff off until they give it their rating and then it will come back up. Can't beat a bit of Karl Pilkington.

• jeolla24
  • Waygookin

• September 15, 2015, 02:33:20 pm
« Reply #125 on: May 10, 2016, 10:40:10 am »
Second that--if anyone has a way to get the US Netflix, I tried several VPN's  :-[

« Reply #126 on: May 10, 2016, 10:48:13 am »
Second that--if anyone has a way to get the US Netflix, I tried several VPN's  :-[

I use Express VPN (paid, not free). Not all of its servers will work, but they do have servers that will. You've just got to switch around until you find one that isn't blocked by Netflix.

And if you can't, you can contact them and they'll tell you which ones currently work.

• seantheman
  • Veteran

• dublin Ireland
« Reply #127 on: May 10, 2016, 11:51:33 am »
Found this yesterday...

SMARTFLIX  (for PC though, not  Chromecast or your phone )

The first 7 days are free, you don't have to sign up or anything to try it out.

It allows you to view and watch the Netflix content of EVERY region, and has a nice interface to allow you to view all the content.
So instead of the small Korean library, you now have  US/UK/Canada/Germany etc etc all at a glance.
Works great too !
You don't need to install any other VPNs or Proxys or change DNS settings. You just open the program and away you go.

https://www.smartflix.io/

Enjoy ! :D

« Reply #128 on: May 10, 2016, 11:55:08 am »

Nope. Not for me anyways. The account was made in my name, using my Korean credit card. When my many attempts to "age-verify" failed, I plugged in my wife's details, and it worked. So now the verification is in my wife's name, but the credit card is mine (and in my name).

When did you verify your age? They updated it very recently (start of last week). Maybe they don't require you to verify again after an update. In my case, the error message now says that my date of birth does not match the name on my credit card. So it could be that the cause is still the same as before with a different error message....who knows. Netflix is clueless as well.

« Reply #129 on: May 10, 2016, 12:09:24 pm »

When did you verify your age? They updated it very recently (start of last week). Maybe they don't require you to verify again after an update. In my case, the error message now says that my date of birth does not match the name on my credit card. So it could be that the cause is still the same as before with a different error message....who knows. Netflix is clueless as well.

I made a deal with the woman selling lettuce on the street. I told her I'd buy some lettuce if she gave me the code that Netflix wanted to send to her phone.

• jeolla24
  • Waygookin

• September 15, 2015, 02:33:20 pm
« Reply #130 on: May 10, 2016, 12:28:48 pm »
Thanks for the new ideas. I'll try those VPN's tonight!
Smartflix sounds awesome

• seantheman
  • Veteran

• dublin Ireland
« Reply #131 on: May 10, 2016, 01:03:17 pm »
Thanks for the new ideas. I'll try those VPN's tonight!
Smartflix sounds awesome

It is, it's really what Netflix should/would be if every country and TV station different have different licencing deals. You basically have access to ALL of Netflix's library in 1 easy to use/browse program.

If I can't keep re-signing for the free week, I may even pay for it....it's that good.

« Reply #132 on: May 10, 2016, 01:32:01 pm »
I used another VPN until it got blocked.  Contacted them and tried to work through it, but couldn't get back into Netflix. 

Switched to ExpressVPN and it works well with only one hitch - to use Netflix, you must be connected to the Denver server.  Somehow Netflix blocks other locations, but not Denver.. :)

Re: THE NETFLIX KOREA THREAD
« Reply #133 on: May 10, 2016, 03:10:56 pm »
I originally started this thread. The discussion has diverged from what the thread was originally about, so I've now changed the title to more accurately match the discussion on the last 3 or 4 pages, which is more general discussion about Netflix Korea.

also, it will make this thread easier to search for using google for anyone who wants to find info about Netflix Korea in the future.

I'm going to ask a mod to move this thread to the IT section or Life in Korea section of the site too, as it probably doesn't belong in 'Korea Newsroom' anymore.

Just in case anyone was wondering.

• pyeager
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• January 19, 2010, 08:19:14 am
    • Korea
« Reply #134 on: May 10, 2016, 10:50:24 pm »
I've been using Getflix, which I saw a special for a few months ago on digg. I think I paid $30 for a lifetime subscription. It's not a VPN, but some kind of IP duper. There are a lot of similar services out there. I never had good experiences getting full HD over a VPN, even when I paid for it. You have to change your DNS settings, but I've had no issues getting awesome quality. It also works for Pandora and a lot of the major TV networks.

Smartflix does sound really cool tho...

« Reply #135 on: December 27, 2016, 08:33:55 am »
As my one month free subscription draws to an end, I'm leaning toward not renewing with Netflix Korea. Their search function allows you to search for audio and subtitle languages, but not at the same time, which is a bother. I was hoping be able to watch Korean movies with English subs, but I've only been able to turn up about five titles that fit those rather minimal criteria, none of them titles I'm all that interesting in view in the first place.  And as was said before, their library just isn't that extensive, for English nor Korean titles. A search for 'Christmas movies' yielded something like 6 results; not even White Christmas, though 'Christmas Vacation', 'A Christmas Story', and 'Elf' were much appreciated! 'A Very Murray Christmas', too, though at this point I'd say the Bill Murray shtick has about run its course.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 08:36:14 am by donovan »

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #136 on: December 27, 2016, 09:35:54 am »
As my one month free subscription draws to an end, I'm leaning toward not renewing with Netflix Korea. Their search function allows you to search for audio and subtitle languages, but not at the same time, which is a bother. I was hoping be able to watch Korean movies with English subs, but I've only been able to turn up about five titles that fit those rather minimal criteria, none of them titles I'm all that interesting in view in the first place.  And as was said before, their library just isn't that extensive, for English nor Korean titles. A search for 'Christmas movies' yielded something like 6 results; not even White Christmas, though 'Christmas Vacation', 'A Christmas Story', and 'Elf' were much appreciated! 'A Very Murray Christmas', too, though at this point I'd say the Bill Murray shtick has about run its course.
One of the weirdest things is why they dont have English subtitles for the Korean movies. There are quite a few I'm interested in watching. I understand it's developed for the Korean market, but surely they are showing some of those Korean titles around the world on different Netflixes. It cant be that much of a hassle to wrangle the English subtitles. They have them for everything else.
I never had Netflix in my home country so I have nothing to compare it to. But it seems pretty thin in some areas.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #137 on: December 27, 2016, 09:56:16 am »
One of the weirdest things is why they dont have English subtitles for the Korean movies. There are quite a few I'm interested in watching. I understand it's developed for the Korean market, but surely they are showing some of those Korean titles around the world on different Netflixes. It cant be that much of a hassle to wrangle the English subtitles. They have them for everything else.
I never had Netflix in my home country so I have nothing to compare it to. But it seems pretty thin in some areas.
Right. And it's just strange that they would provide English subtitles for but a handful of movies and not others. Not even for movies that gained some international recognition, like 'The Host'. Movies that do have English subtitles include 'Eungyo' and 'Concubine'; not exactly international blockbusters.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #138 on: December 27, 2016, 10:37:50 am »
My family is loving Kodi + Exodus since Netflix has stepped up the VPN blocking.

« Reply #139 on: December 27, 2016, 10:59:00 am »
My family is loving Kodi + Exodus since Netflix has stepped up the VPN blocking.

I know not of what you speak, though I've heard it tossed out on some threads before. It sounds illegal.  :sad: