Read 1009 times

• Horus
  • Expert Waygook

• March 22, 2011, 08:15:24 am
    • Korea
Apostilled degrees - is there a time limit?
« on: January 26, 2016, 05:04:53 pm »
I had three copies of my degree apostilled a few years' back when they introduced this new requirement. I've used only one since I stayed at one school for two years then did the D-10 visa thing between two jobs. But now I plan to take a month or two off from Korea to collect my pension. I know I'll have to get a new criminal background check while I'm home and take it to the Korean embassy for a stamp. But will my apostilled degrees still be okay? They were apostilled about three years ago. Is there a limitation on how old the apostille can be. Once I'm back in Korea and offered a new job will some clown at immigration see my new CBC and notice that its not the same year or month as the apostille on my degree and cause some stupid headache? Kimmi has a notorious reputation for a good reason, so I'm trying to preempt any nonsense after I return with my new CBC.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Apostilled degrees - is there a time limit?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 08:22:51 pm »
Well, it seems that you've been in Korea long enough to know how things work here. You can NEVER trust anything with the immigration system in this country. Yes, some yahoo working there could make a problem for you if they see an apostilled degree from a few years ago. Absolutely could happen. Your best bet is to just get your university degree apostilled again when you go back home. That is the safest bet. Doesn't take long and is cheap to do(unlike that lovely pain in the ass CBC). I also have an extra apostilled copy of my degree just in case, but I think if I ever went home for an extended period of time, like 2-3 months, I'd just get a new one. But, it is up to you. Immigration is like roulette...you might get someone who won't bat an eye at it, but you might also get one of these immigration dudes who doesn't like foreigners and is just begging for anything to make life hard for anyone not Korean.

• Horus
  • Expert Waygook

• March 22, 2011, 08:15:24 am
    • Korea
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 10:44:09 am »
Well, it seems that you've been in Korea long enough to know how things work here. You can NEVER trust anything with the immigration system in this country. Yes, some yahoo working there could make a problem for you if they see an apostilled degree from a few years ago. Absolutely could happen. Your best bet is to just get your university degree apostilled again when you go back home. That is the safest bet. Doesn't take long and is cheap to do(unlike that lovely pain in the ass CBC). I also have an extra apostilled copy of my degree just in case, but I think if I ever went home for an extended period of time, like 2-3 months, I'd just get a new one. But, it is up to you. Immigration is like roulette...you might get someone who won't bat an eye at it, but you might also get one of these immigration dudes who doesn't like foreigners and is just begging for anything to make life hard for anyone not Korean.

Yeah, that's my concern. There never seems to be a procedure that is universally followed by immigration officials - and by Koreans generally. An absense of consistency in how things are done here, and an agreed procedure that is both knowable and adhered to, is one of my biggest gripes about this country. Talk to three different people at immigration (or anywhere) and get three different answers.

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 12:04:38 pm »
Maybe it would be okay, but to be safe, it might be a good idea to get a new one, if it's not too much trouble. I submitted a copy of my degree with an apostille that was over a year old when I applied to my last public school job, and it was accepted by my then-MOE/POE, no problem. That was a few years ago, though.

• vietpham
  • Super Waygook

• April 28, 2012, 08:33:18 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 12:08:24 pm »
This is only GOE but yes it is okay.