Read 2451 times

Something wrong with paypal?
« on: January 24, 2016, 02:48:30 am »
Something wrong with Paypal?  I tried to order something off G Market and the site even gave me the option of using Paypal, but then Paypal blocked me and said I couldn't use it in Korea.  Really, stupid!  I had to order using my Credit Card instead.  It seems G Market and Paypal should get together and figure this out, otherwise, G Market should quit offering Paypal and being a tease. 

• solveit
  • Super Waygook

• December 09, 2014, 03:52:02 pm
    • Korea
Re: Something wrong with paypal?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 11:30:22 am »
Was it a Korean paypal account? I can use my Korean PayPal account (which is linked to my Korean debit card as foreigners can't link their Korean bank accoutns), but I can't use my UK PayPal account to purchase items on Gmarket - the reverse has also been true for me, I tried to use my Korean PayPal on a UK website and it was declined.

I used PayPal on Gmarket yesterday just fine - normally I just do a wire transfer because it's a little cheaper, but I couldn't find the card to use my online banking.

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 02:04:33 pm »
I only have an American PayPal account that is connected to my Korean bank account. It somehow works just fine. I bought things in America without a hitch.

• Fanwarrior
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 06, 2011, 09:19:35 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 07:26:37 pm »
I only have an American PayPal account that is connected to my Korean bank account. It somehow works just fine. I bought things in America without a hitch.

No you don't. You might have your Korean credit card or debit card connected to a paypal account so that you can withdraw funds through that, but you do not have your actual bank account tied to your American paypal account.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 08:28:27 pm »
I have had mixed success with using a Canadian Paypal account to ship things to Korea.  It seams that US vendors are the least likely to accept this combo.

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 10:05:47 pm »

No you don't. You might have your Korean credit card or debit card connected to a paypal account so that you can withdraw funds through that, but you do not have your actual bank account tied to your American paypal account.

Oh, I'm confused. I started my PayPal account in America before coming here. I somehow added my Korean bank account as the only account to withdraw funds from. When I go on a website like say, KIVA, it takes money out of my PayPal account. Are we saying the same thing but, differently?

• solveit
  • Super Waygook

• December 09, 2014, 03:52:02 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 10:35:40 pm »
If your bank account is attached to PayPal, you can withdraw and transfer money to and from your Korean bank account. Foreigners can't attach their bank account directly to PayPal. They can link their Korean bank card to their PayPal account and use that for payment, but not to transfer money to the bank account.