Read 1750 times

Anyone ever been to Daegwallyeong Sheep Farm (대관령 양떼목장)?  I guess it's in Pyeongchang, Gangwon-do. I guess more importantly, has anyone been in the general area? 

Someone told me about the place and I saw a few pics.  Looks really beautiful and it seems quite high up.  So, maybe sunny and cool in the summer? 

http://map.naver.com/?query=%EA%B0%95%EC%9B%90%EB%8F%84+%ED%8F%89%EC%B0%BD%EA%B5%B0+%EB%8C%80%EA%B4%80%EB%A0%B9%EB%A9%B4

• yiting91
  • Waygookin

• March 03, 2014, 09:11:53 am
    • Seoul
Re: Anyone ever been to Daegwallyeong Sheep Farm (대관령 양떼목장)?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 10:03:56 am »
I went there during summer vacation - we drove there so it wasn't much of a hassle going to the area.

You can't just go straight to the sheep, you have to walk up the hill, and at the end of the path is the area where you can feed the sheep. ^^

During the summer it was rather sunny and breezy, so it was a  nice hike/ walk up the hill.

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 01:13:10 pm »
i've been there. it's easy enough to get there via public transport. you need to take a bus to Daegwallyeong-myeon. you might have to travel to Gangneung first, then change buses at the bus terminal there to get to Daegwallyeong-myeon.

once in Daegwallyeong-myeon, you can catch a shuttle bus to the sheep farm. and then back again.

the sheep farm itself is pretty underwhelming. it's just sheep, basically. and you can feed them. it's a nice walk but will only take about 30mins - 1 hour, if you go slowly.

there are a lot of nice hiking trails around there though. best thing to do is hit the sheep farm and then go hiking.

and yeah it can get really chilly there - more than you would think. went there from Gangneung in the autumn and it was fairly warm in Gangneung, but a lot colder in Daegwallyeong.

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 01:37:56 pm »
Heh went there a few years ago on a long weekend trip to Gangwon. It's interesting in that there's not much of stuff like it in Korea, but it has all the same problems as everything here--it's crowded, it's dirty and everything is a bit shabby, and the sheep are pretty neglected--it was a warm sunny day in May and they still hadn't been shorn yet (great job Korea!!!) and they were staggering around panting in the heat...

But it was fun feeding the sheep and it was a pretty area. If you go before May it will probably look gray and grim but at least the sheep will probably be happier. But we had a car, othwrwise we wouldn't have bothered.

You can also go to the town of Daegwallyeonmyong proper...hopefully they are getting it ready for the Olympics because when we were there it was just a typical dirty crappy small Korean town.

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 01:59:33 pm »
Ok, I was less interested in the sheep but more in the area as some of the pictures with wind turbines and rolling fields looked nice.  I was hoping in summer where it was higher up it would be cooler than the rest of Korea.  Was wondering if it would be worth it to go there for a long weekend in summer or if it would be snowy in winter due to the higher elevation. 

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 02:48:57 pm »
yeah those wind turbines are part of the general hiking areas. i wouldn't go there just for the sheep farm. my advice would be to do it as a day trip from a trip to Gangneung during a long weekend in the summer.

that way you can chill on the beach as well, and explore Gangneung and its surrounds too. maybe check out that ship hotel in Jeongdongjin. Hasseula Art World is not bad either.

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 10:23:57 pm »
Feel free to go to Gangwon but honestly I found it pretty drab, but definitely a bit prettier and way less overdeveloped than most places here. Koreans talk up every province here while ignoring the fact that pretty much any other country worth going to is way more scenic and less polluted.

Check out doing a railbike trip, I did the one in Jeongseong which was fun, but like everything here the tix are hard to get. It's run by Korail so go to your local train station and go to the tourism office if there is one and get them to reserve tix for you. I can't imagine getting to the railbike without a car though. You just sit ona railbike and pedal a bit througj the hills, nothing spectacular and it's over quickly but it's more fun and charming than 99% of touristy things here.

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 02:50:50 am »
Is it cooler there in the summer?  Is there less smog there too?