Read 3474 times

Should I stay or go?
« on: January 21, 2016, 03:22:06 pm »
Not sure if this is the right thread for my post as it covers a lot.

I have been in Korea since September, teaching in an elementary school (EPIK). The school/job is fine- not great but not awful either. The thing is, I am a qualified/certified elementary school teacher in my home country too and I have 6 years teaching experience there. I still have my old job- I'm on a career break and I have to let them know in the next 3 weeks whether or not I am coming back after 1 year or if I want to extend my career break for a second year. I don't know what to do.

My job is better in my home country with a lot more vacation time. However, here, I have more fun at the weekends and it's more of an adventure. I also like having my own apartment, something which I can't afford at home. I know there are international schools in Seoul, but the thing is that I'm not American/Canadian/British- and most of the international schools seem to only be interested in people from these places.

Has anyone been through a similar dilemma? Is the 2nd year here much more boring? Does the novelty wear off quickly? Btw, I am in my early 30s so I feel like this is my last big adventure before I settle down.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 09:24:56 pm by kimchiyum »

• pjst
  • Veteran

• April 30, 2013, 02:02:07 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
Re: Should I stay or go?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 03:35:43 pm »
For IS's, what matters most is 1. Are you certified in an English-speaking country? and 2. do you have experience? For you, it's yes to both questions. 6 years of experience is a good selling point, plus you're already in-country so easier to interview/hire.

Check out https://www.tieonline.com/ - it's a subscription service, but $39 gets you a year of access. I've seen several jobs for elementary school teachers on offer here in Korea for next school year.

If you're interested, get on there now - hiring season is in full swing and elementary school jobs get filled very quickly. You'll also see other jobs from all over the world, if you're open to leaving Korea...

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 03:51:52 pm »
Thanks for that link, I'll check it out. Just 1 thing- my EPIK job ends in August, do International Schools (in general) hire throughout the Korean school year?

• tamjen
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 19, 2013, 08:08:14 am
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 05:09:26 pm »
You're in your early 30's and this is your last big adventure?

Excuse me, but it's gonna take me a while to wrap my head around that.

I'm 55 and looking for to my next big adventure. Actually, I feel sad for you for thinking so small. LIfe is an adventure. Not some of it, not half of it, not most of it...ALL of it. Don't sell it short.
Hail Caesar

• pjst
  • Veteran

• April 30, 2013, 02:02:07 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 05:31:12 pm »
Thanks for that link, I'll check it out. Just 1 thing- my EPIK job ends in August, do International Schools (in general) hire throughout the Korean school year?

They don't hire throughout the school year - they hire in January for an August start. If you apply to a school, ask when their 1st day of classes is - most of them are in early August, but different dates for each school. Good luck!

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 05:39:46 pm »

I'm 55 and looking for to my next big adventure. Actually, I feel sad for you for thinking so small. LIfe is an adventure. Not some of it, not half of it, not most of it...ALL of it. Don't sell it short.

It definitely is my last big "travel" adventure. I will always go on holidays but I probably won't ever live and work in a foreign country again. And that's not me thinking small. That's me doing what I want to do. So you don't have to feel sorry for me. Not everyone is thinking small because they aren't choosing the same path as you.

• tamjen
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 07:17:26 pm »

It definitely is my last big "travel" adventure. I will always go on holidays but I probably won't ever live and work in a foreign country again. And that's not me thinking small. That's me doing what I want to do. So you don't have to feel sorry for me. Not everyone is thinking small because they aren't choosing the same path as you.

I don't recall saying that you had work or live in a foreign country again to have a big adventure. There goes those critical reading skills again - or lack thereof.

I had a very big adventure when I was 46 years old, likely 10+ years your senior now. I went to university and got a degree. I'd say that's a pretty big adventure.
Hail Caesar

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 07:31:32 pm »

I don't recall saying that you had work or live in a foreign country again to have a big adventure. There goes those critical reading skills again - or lack thereof.

I had a very big adventure when I was 46 years old, likely 10+ years your senior now. I went to university and got a degree. I'd say that's a pretty big adventure.

I don't know what you want from me?? A pat on the back? I don't really care about your life story. You have an aggressive tone in your posts, maybe your latest adventure isn't going according to plan?  :cry: So now you're venting on a forum. Good for you  :cheesy: Just choose someone else's topic to ruin next time.

• tamjen
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 08:05:42 pm »

I don't know what you want from me?? A pat on the back? I don't really care about your life story. You have an aggressive tone in your posts, maybe your latest adventure isn't going according to plan?  :cry: So now you're venting on a forum. Good for you  :cheesy: Just choose someone else's topic to ruin next time.

Okay then, go! How's that?
 ;D >:( 8) :P :-[ :-* :laugh: :cry: :shocked: :lipsrsealed: :undecided: :evil: :smiley: :wink: :cheesy: :huh: :rolleyes: :sad: :afro: :police: :azn: :blank: :angel:
Hail Caesar

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 08:14:38 pm »
Wow, what a loser!

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 08:19:27 pm »

He's just messing with ya. He's a good guy from what I've seen. Don't take it too seriously.

Back to your original topic. Yeah, it can get old pretty fast. Enjoy it while it lasts... Stick around another year, build up some cash, travel the rest of Asia, have a few flings, then go home and do the family/house/car/dog thing.

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• December 27, 2010, 09:14:44 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 08:31:09 pm »
Are you a Saffie?

Before I send you away with an answer to "stay or go?", it'd be best to know WHERE.

If it is South Africa, I would never go back.  However, if you are an Aussie or a Kiwi, I would leave immediately and resume your teaching career, though not sure why you wold say you can't live on your own there.

BTW, no need to be rude to people who are taking the time to offer you their advice.

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 08:50:47 pm »
I wasn't being rude to him. He was being quite condescending. But I've seen a lot of it on this site, people seem to burn out I guess and they become bitter when someone new to the game asks newbie questions.

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 09:04:42 pm »
Go

• tamjen
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 09:21:21 pm »

He's just messing with ya. He's a good guy from what I've seen. Don't take it too seriously.

Back to your original topic. Yeah, it can get old pretty fast. Enjoy it while it lasts... Stick around another year, build up some cash, travel the rest of Asia, have a few flings, then go home and do the family/house/car/dog thing.

I am a good guy. Check out the solid advice I give especially about contract and legal issues. I'm just a drunk, hopefully I'll get better when I get outta Korea. I wasn't a drunk when I got here but this place has been hard on my mind.

Advice: Go while you still have your mid intact. I may very well be a lost case.
Hail Caesar