Read 3678 times

Re: Advice for Keeping Warm
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2016, 09:19:13 am »
A lot of people here have already given great advice, and I probably will not be adding anything new to the conversation, but just to let you know what I do. I come from a pretty cold and snowy state back home, but I'm still really sensitive to the cold. I'm quite thin, so I don't know if that will make a difference (I don't know your body type).

Anyway, some people here have been saying not to do too many layers and not to wear double socks, but I personally don't sweat that much in the winter even when it gets really stuffy and warm with heaters blasting, so if you're similar to me in that regard, I suggest layers. I will be the first to admit that I don't wear puffy coats  because I don't like how they look lol I wear pea coats, but since I'm quite thin, I have a bit of room so I layer up with: tank top (this will prevent the itchiness from some sweaters), a thin, form-fitting, long-sleeved shirt, sweater (preferably turtle-neck), and maybe an over-sized cardigan that will go over the sweater, and then obviously the coat. Then, depending on how thick and snug the turtle-neck is, I may or may not wear a scarf. I don't wear earmuffs, but they would definitely help. Gloves for sure.

As for socks, my feet don't sweat much in general, even in the summer, and I buy my boots a half-size larger. I wear tights under my pants, and then wear one or two socks over them depending on how cold it is that day. I have a friend whose feet sweat quite a bit and they get irritated, so she can't do the double sock thing, but if your feet are fine, this is what I suggest. Stay warm!! :-*

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
Re: Advice for Keeping Warm
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2016, 09:23:45 am »
  The part of my trip I was most concerned though about is Sapporo. But mostly I'll be in Tokyo and Kyoto. I actually didn't realise that it wouldn't be that cold. For some reason I was under the impression that Japan was colder than Korea.
Just follow the advice from the posters above (layers etc) and you will be fine. It won't be much colder than what you're currently experiencing in Korea. The biggest difference will be that in Hokkaido there will be crap tonnes of snow, so bring boots if you have them.

Enjoy your vacay!  :smiley: