Read 6965 times

The Winter Blues (Survival, Killing Time -- What do you do?)
« on: January 19, 2016, 03:36:24 pm »
This is a pretty broad subject and probably could apply to some other topics, but I thought I'd just zone in on one thing here -- how do you get through the winters?

This one in particular for me is miserable. I went home for Christmas for 2 weeks and coming back has been a nightmare. It was cold back home in the US, but it feels like there is at least some moisture in the air. But this winter here is so dry and sharp -- I don't know how anyone can stand it.

The moment I step outside, my knuckles begin to crackle so much, the slightest physical interaction with something can draw blood. Today, during the LUNCH HOUR, the wind was blowing so strongly a metal trashcan fell over -- not to mention it was almost literally slicing my ears off. Even with proper bundling and lotion, this place is almost alien to me -- it feels like I've crash landed on some distant moon with the grey skies, heavy air and cold everything.

I drive home to my one room and feel the heated floor, but it seems to take hours before feeling comes back to my body. Yesterday, I wrapped up in a massive winter coat, sitting in a 5,000 won lawn chair I bought from EMart Traders watching John Oliver while drinking a beer and eating from a can of peanuts like a proper goon. I don't know what monster I've become.

I told myself, "I'm gonna warm up, then take my laptop to a coffee shop and do something productive. Maybe I'll throw my gym bag in the car and go there instead." But the thought of going outside brings agony.

Not to mention the darkness.

It really is no wonder Koreans have such stress and depression issues -- the weather here for almost a third of the year is miserable.

I've been here collectively for 4 years, but this winter in particular seems to be the worst.

During the day, I make these plans of doing something productive for the distant future -- buying a bike carrier for for the spring months or taking a road trip -- but the warm(ish) weather seems so far away.

As expensive as it's going to be, I think I have to buy a plane ticket somewhere outside of Korea for the New Year's next month.

I went out last weekend and I have no idea how. Even now, I'm just dreading the walk outside my building.

I plan on this will be my last full year in Korea, but it feels like the country is properly trying to kill me from the inside before I get the chance to leave.

Sorry for the lost and somewhat pointless post...but what do you all do to get through the winter?

Re: The Winter Blues (Survival, Killing Time -- What do you do?)
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 03:44:45 pm »
This is a pretty broad subject and probably could apply to some other topics, but I thought I'd just zone in on one thing here -- how do you get through the winters?

This one in particular for me is miserable. I went home for Christmas for 2 weeks and coming back has been a nightmare. It was cold back home in the US, but it feels like there is at least some moisture in the air. But this winter here is so dry and sharp -- I don't know how anyone can stand it.

The moment I step outside, my knuckles begin to crackle so much, the slightest physical interaction with something can draw blood. Today, during the LUNCH HOUR, the wind was blowing so strongly a metal trashcan fell over -- not to mention it was almost literally slicing my ears off. Even with proper bundling and lotion, this place is almost alien to me -- it feels like I've crash landed on some distant moon with the grey skies, heavy air and cold everything.

Wow.

It doesn't seem that bad to me. Try the winter of 2013, it was minus 20 at midday.

Hm. Be sure to get exercise frequently. Wear thermal undergarments. Use hand cream. Not sure what else to suggest.

Are you from a tropical climate?

Creating shared values

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 03:53:13 pm »

Wow.

It doesn't seem that bad to me. Try the winter of 2013, it was minus 20 at midday.

Hm. Be sure to get exercise frequently. Wear thermal undergarments. Use hand cream. Not sure what else to suggest.

Are you from a tropical climate?

No, not a tropical climate. It definitely snows where I'm from, but I don't think I've experienced such dry air as the past few days. It was just hard to be outside in.

I was in Korea in 2013 and I remember it being bad, but somehow this one just seems more punishing.

It just seems so much harder to get outside in this weather than it used to, even with a car.

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 04:10:51 pm »
there's a low-pressure system coming in from China at the moment, which is why this week in particular has been so windy and cold.

regardless of that, it seems like you're woefully underprepared for winter. buys some frikken gloves man! use hand cream to stop your knuckles from getting dry.

buy those earmuffs to stop your ears from getting cold. buy a down jacket, wear some thermal underwear from Uniqlo.

if i went outside without gloves and ear muffs on today i'd probably also think it sucked. today has been pretty windy but really, it's not as bad as you make it out to be.

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 06:09:27 pm »
And here I'd been thinking this winter had been pretty mild thus far.  Now 2013, that winter sucked, so cold for so long.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 06:14:03 pm »
As the others have said, it doesn't seem that bad, at least round Seoul.

This winter has been quite mild.  Today was the first time I've worn my heaviest winter coat all season--a few years ago I wore it every day from mid-November to February. 

Ear muffs are particularly helpful in beating the cold.

And you should definitely go on vacation to someplace warm!

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 06:22:38 pm »
This week is the coldest and cold enough even for this Canadian.  It hasn't been cold too much until now.  It will warm up more next week and it seems most days in February will be at least a few degrees above 0.  Otherwise, dress warm.  Many Koreans will not do this and their coats will be unzipped and open as usual.  If you're in Seoul, there's plenty of places to visit to get out and stay warm.  Most years, my vacation has been during this time, the coldest part of the Korean year.  I have often spent a few years in Seoul during this time and hung out in book stores, indoor shopping malls, museums, other sites.  When you're walking in the cold, you're never in it for too long.  Subway trains have good heat and the body heat of the masses almost make it too hot.  If you're out in the provinces and working, stay at school, read a book, watch a movie, etc.  If you have warm gear like me, go out for short walks.  I'm fortunate enough to have clothing that will keep me warm until minus 20 or 30 or so, which it will never be in Korea.  (Though I believe Saturday night might be close to minus 17 or 18 overnight with the wind chills factored in.)  LL Bean is your friend.  I ordered a crap load of gear for winter over the past couple of years from them. 

• sapphirewind
  • Veteran

• May 18, 2015, 09:56:23 am
    • Anjung, Pyeongtaek, Gyeonggi
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 11:03:28 am »
I know how you feel. I have lived in Chicago and was miserable.... I think I have "Seasonal Defective Disorder" (a real thing...) .... I never want to go out. The dryness gives the back of my legs a red itchy rash. When I went back to America it went away and now it is coming back again. I am using aloe and moisture lotion to try and combat it. I got back from NY on Saturday and both monday and tuesday I got home early at three and fell asleep before dinner instead of hitting my gym. It could still be jet-lag but I believe I am depressed due to the weather.

• kjritchhart
  • Veteran

• September 12, 2013, 01:38:04 pm
    • Yeoju-eup
    more
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 11:09:29 am »
I make sure to stop at the gym and work out for a while, and afterwards I take a nice long hot shower.  The long showers make me feel so much better and the gym gets the blood flowing.

When I am outside in the cold (I walk to and from school: 30 minutes both ways), I make sure to bundle up.  Gloves, three layers, scarf, and hat.  I look like a loon but I am warm and don't freeze.

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 03:48:08 pm »
I make sure to stop at the gym and work out for a while, and afterwards I take a nice long hot shower.  The long showers make me feel so much better and the gym gets the blood flowing.

When I am outside in the cold (I walk to and from school: 30 minutes both ways), I make sure to bundle up.  Gloves, three layers, scarf, and hat.  I look like a loon but I am warm and don't freeze.

:huh: By both ways, do you mean 30 minutes a day to and from school or 30 minutes one way for a total of an hour a day?? It's not a long walk when the weather is nice, but this past week, even my seven minute commute to school feels like an hour because it's so damn cold and windy... :cry:

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 10:38:29 pm »
I know how you feel. I have lived in Chicago and was miserable.... I think I have "Seasonal Defective Disorder" (a real thing...) .... I never want to go out. The dryness gives the back of my legs a red itchy rash. When I went back to America it went away and now it is coming back again. I am using aloe and moisture lotion to try and combat it. I got back from NY on Saturday and both monday and tuesday I got home early at three and fell asleep before dinner instead of hitting my gym. It could still be jet-lag but I believe I am depressed due to the weather.
Affective.  Seasonal Affective Disorder.

I lived in Evanston two blocks from Lake Michigan, and that wind off the lake could be brutal.

• Embarr
  • Veteran

• August 11, 2013, 09:01:22 am
    • Daejeon, South Korea
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 02:55:56 pm »
I've avoided going outside as much as possible. This might be the coldest I've ever experienced, this winter, coming from a desert. It's bearable enough, walking to and from work, except my hands aren't easily kept warm. I also grouch about how much I hate winter as I walk.  :cheesy:

Counting down the days until I can escape this weather for vacation. Almost there.

In the meantime, I've managed to finish a book, watch a couple mini series and rearrange both my desk and apartment to distract me from the unpleasant weather.

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 03:04:44 pm »

I drive home to my one room and feel the heated floor, but it seems to take hours before feeling comes back to my body. Yesterday, I wrapped up in a massive winter coat, sitting in a 5,000 won lawn chair I bought from EMart Traders watching John Oliver while drinking a beer and eating from a can of peanuts like a proper goon. I don't know what monster I've become.

I told myself, "I'm gonna warm up, then take my laptop to a coffee shop and do something productive. Maybe I'll throw my gym bag in the car and go there instead." But the thought of going outside brings agony.

Not to mention the darkness.

It really is no wonder Koreans have such stress and depression issues -- the weather here for almost a third of the year is miserable.

I've been here collectively for 4 years, but this winter in particular seems to be the worst.

During the day, I make these plans of doing something productive for the distant future -- buying a bike carrier for for the spring months or taking a road trip -- but the warm(ish) weather seems so far away.

As expensive as it's going to be, I think I have to buy a plane ticket somewhere outside of Korea for the New Year's next month.

I went out last weekend and I have no idea how. Even now, I'm just dreading the walk outside my building.

I plan on this will be my last full year in Korea, but it feels like the country is properly trying to kill me from the inside before I get the chance to leave.

Sorry for the lost and somewhat pointless post...but what do you all do to get through the winter?

Man up.

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 07:59:55 am »
Man up?

Reminds me of my niece who thinks she has balls because she sees them on her brother and just thinks hers are to grow one day.

As for surviving this particular hellish winter...I look forward to leaving Korea come March. So, I have to pack a house full of things I'm not sure I want to take back to America. I've not even found a job yet.

However, I can't take the winters here anymore. Surviving 8 is enough for me.

Sleep...that's what this winter weather is for...hibernating. Become one with the bears...just sleep your life away til Spring comes.

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2016, 08:33:05 am »
I've avoided going outside as much as possible. This might be the coldest I've ever experienced.

I regard this winter as mild. There was one cold day last week, but aside from that its been warm.

Sounds like you guys need to get to the gym and get your blood flowing.
Creating shared values

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2016, 08:49:28 am »
I've avoided going outside as much as possible. This might be the coldest I've ever experienced.

I regard this winter as mild. There was one cold day last week, but aside from that its been warm.

It's true. This year's winter is so much more mild than all the ones I've experienced since 2009. The 2013 winter was the worst, but it was also the most beautiful one because I found it enchanting while out and about enjoying the snow.

Just this year's is miserable and, well, for me, lacks beauty to go outside and enjoy. The freezing cold wind does nothing for me even when I'm covered up from head to toe.

I have a home gym. Grateful for that!

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2016, 09:07:24 am »
Just this year's is miserable and, well, for me, lacks beauty to go outside and enjoy.

Its too grey and overcast, therefore depressing.

Normally I love the winter for the bright sunshine and blue skies but they have been lacking this year.
Creating shared values

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2016, 10:42:30 am »
Anyone who lets the weather affect their mood and feelings to a significant degree, or regards this weather as "hellish" needs a serious dose of reality and self-discipline. This weather ain't that bad as far as winters around the world go.  And don't be weak-minded and allow the weather to drastically affect your mood and decision making.

• Embarr
  • Veteran

• August 11, 2013, 09:01:22 am
    • Daejeon, South Korea
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2016, 11:16:30 am »

If you're going to quote me, please do so accurately. I'm from the desert, as I said in the part of the quote you edited out. I was mostly stating that this is the coldest I've ever experienced. If it got this cold where I come from, people would be concerned that it was the end of the world or something.

I can handle the cold, I just like to grouch during the start of my walks. I find it a great warming method. And I don't need a gym. I just dance like a mental patient in my apartment.  :P

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2016, 01:23:11 pm »
Become one with the bears

Personally i like to become one with the beers during winter.