Read 3160 times

EPIK Medical Exam Spring 2016 HELP!!!!!
« on: January 17, 2016, 05:55:07 am »
I'm heading to Korea for the Fall 2016 intake, but I'm a little worried about the medical test when I get there. I have a liver condition that causes trace amounts of protein to show up in my urine when it is tested and forces me to take medication. The condition has zero practical effect on my day-to-day life or ability to teach, I live a healthy active lifestyle, and I am always full of energy. Do any of you know anyone who has been sent home after failing the medical exam? Am I screwed?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 09:39:02 am by jaysinflight »

Re: EPIK Medical Exam Spring 2016 HELP!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 12:14:04 pm »
I would say just tell your coordinator now.  If they don't know and find out during orientation, that is grounds for dismissal because it is a false statement on your application but if you let your coordinator know, they will probably just ask for a doctors note or let it go.  I know people who are taking medication for HBP, put it on their application form, and they are in the EPIK program now. Just let them know and it will be a non-issue.

• Eros
  • Super Waygook

• September 01, 2010, 02:43:24 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 12:30:17 pm »
If you disclose it on your app and get refused, then you've lost only a bit of time. If you try to hide it, get to Korea and are found out, you lose a lot of money (flight) and more time. So you should have mentioned it. As for your present circumstances, best to ask the EPIK peeps before you fly out.

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 02:18:05 pm »
I don't know much about medicine. If a doctor were testing your urine for traces of marijuana and they found protein instead, would that be cause for alarm? Finding protein in the urine...what would that mean? It doesn't seem like a reason to get sent home. I wouldn't worry about it.

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 04:27:51 pm »
Is there a NON-plant-based vegan diet?  :laugh:

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• December 27, 2010, 09:14:44 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 06:36:42 pm »
Jays,

A simple way to solve your health problem without taking medication and to guarantee you will pass your exam...do a water fast.

Read up, get educated, and take control.

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 09:23:06 pm »
Is there a NON-plant-based vegan diet?  :laugh:

There are plant-based diets that include pus and carcass.  :rolleyes:

Also people can eat a high fat vegan diet, including lots of processed food and oils which is not healthy.

Why are you rolling your eyes at me? What did I do?

High fat vegan diet doesn't necessarily mean it's not plant-based, either. You new to this or something?

EDIT: Can people please not give medical advice in this thread? I'm sure the OP knows what's going on with their own health better than internet randoms.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 09:25:54 pm by meepmoopimmarobots »

• Zaiterade
  • Super Waygook

• September 08, 2015, 07:36:23 am
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 08:11:36 am »
Basically if the exam finds illegal drugs or some serious chronic disease you didn't disclose, you have no chance of staying. If they find something else, it depends. Does the national health insurance agency want to insure you? Or do they not? If it is expensive and chronic or contagious and chronic, the answer is also no.
If they don't want to insure your pre-existing condition you can't legally work here without their insurance. So EPIK asks in advance to save you the hassle of being denied. But if you ask EPIK now, they will think you are a liar. If you come and they discover it, you are much less likely to be sent home. Hardly anyone mentioned they wear eye-glasses, if it's a common problem with a cheap fix, it is not a big deal.
Pretty much this. I came here with EPIK 6 months ago and I remember freaking out about having pretty high blood pressure. I went to the doctor a week before I flew to Korea and he told me it's been elevating because of stress....otherwise i'm a normal, healthy 24 year old. When I took the medical test I was a little worried....my first BP result was high, but the girl tested my other arm, I took deep breaths and relaxed, and got a healthy result.

The point i'm trying to make is to not worry. I've never heard about proteins in urine being a big deal, and they really won't care about your BP unless it's chronically high, or if you appear to be old, obese, out of shape, etc. if what you're saying is true and they say something, you can relate it to recent stress of traveling to Korea. Just relax and keep taking care of yourself.

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 08:26:34 am »
From the EPIK application form:
"⑧   Do you have any visual or hearing impairment (excluding those that are easily corrected with glasses or contacts) or any physical disability?"

They specifically ask you not to mention glasses on the application form and so that is why people don't mention it.

I would say the medical assessment could be a for a wide variety of things and to not risk it.  Just because if you fly to SK and they don't like the test results, they can send you home.  Then you have paid for all your documentation, flight there, flight back, and have no job.  That is a lot of money out the window.

I don't think his situation is the same as someone who isn't taking medication.    So it would be the proteins and the medication that would show up.  It would be the medication that sets things off, not the cuff test.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 08:30:03 am by pizzaman »

• poppy
  • Veteran

• May 07, 2010, 12:33:32 pm
    • Daejeon
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 01:03:04 pm »
I wouldn't worry about it.  They are only going to send you home if you fail the drug test or have HIV or some transmittable disease.  On my medical between my first and second year traces of protein were found in my urine.  The doctor wrote a comment that I should get it checked and that was it.  I know many people who have had high bp and some taking medication for it and no one cared.  They will tell you to keep an eye on it and that's it.  They only care about those two little boxes that indicate whether you passed or failed the drug and HIV test.  It's a hassle for them to send someone home as well and then have to replace them with a late arrival so they won't do it unless they have to.