Read 1646 times

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
Medical checks!
« on: January 13, 2016, 02:28:42 pm »
Anyone have any horror stories? I just did mine and I'm worried about my liver enzymes.........
ETA 2day 4hour 45min to next reboot.
DO NOT UNPLUG

• tamjen
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 19, 2013, 08:08:14 am
Re: Medical checks!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 03:10:54 pm »
Anyone have any horror stories? I just did mine and I'm worried about my liver enzymes.........

When I arrived in Feb. 2011 I was met at the airport, taken to a place with a room full of newbies where we met our co-teachers. Then we hopped in her car and drove straight to the hospital for my medical check. My liver was a mess. They said it was 100% fatty.

I went back the next day and had to drink a small bottle of stuff, about the size of those Vitamin C drinks they give. Then I had to sit around for 3 hours and they checked my blood again and my liver was fine. Clearly whatever they gave me didn't dissolve 1/2 my liver away, all it did was chemically mask the problem.

Afterwords I was good to go.

Lesson is, if they can cover it up, they will. Drugs are another thing.
Hail Caesar

• gurudanny98
  • Veteran

• September 10, 2010, 02:01:11 pm
    • Busan South Korea
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 07:13:34 pm »
I got the same results one time. My school suggested I go to another hopital which I did and the cleared me

• Hot6^
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 14, 2014, 02:46:01 pm
    • Bucheon
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 07:08:34 am »
Could have been worse.

I heard stories of some people going, and get hep C, or even worse, MERS.
What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 09:20:31 am »
My favourite medical check story is actually from a few years ago, immediately uni.

I had been taking a number of bio-chem courses that had extensive lab classes. One of the last labs included looking at the production and breakdown of lactic acid during exercise. I was generally the lab rat for that class, so I was stuck on a treadmill having my blood drawn at 5 minute intervals. This lasted about an hour, so I had more than dozen samples taken. Even though they were drawn by a licenced nurse, my veins were a mess after all that (they some reason, they wouldn't use a shunt).

Fast forward a week or two, and I had to do a medical check. They get to the "we need your blood" part and so I obligingly roll up my sleeve. The nurse just sits there eyeing my rather impressively bruised arm and the beautiful track marks decorating the centre of it.

I got a nice long lecture about the perils of needle sharing, and was strongly urged to phone up some druggie help line.  :rolleyes:

Second favourite: EPIK orientation in Jeon-ju is usually at the local university, and is concurrent with the graduation ceremony. After having peed in a cup, I had to weave my way through a jostling crown of rowdy grads to hand it over to the desk. I may have overfilled the cup a bit and due to my poor collision avoidance skills, accidentally splashed some about. Ah well.  :undecided: