Read 13823 times

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
Re: Koreans in companies get insane amounts of money.
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2016, 03:08:02 pm »
Does making insane amounts of money make Korean workers any less miserable? Probably not!

Sure, I could make 100 million at Samsung Electronics or Hyundai Heavy but I would be putting in long hours just at the office; not to mention the company drinking nights out. Or the short holidays I could take because I am too "busy" I.e I have too much pointless work to do and nobody wants to take my workload.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2016, 03:43:31 pm »
I know a guy that worked for Samsung engineering about 3 years back. They must have spent over half a million dollars on the guy in the 3 years he was there.

They got him an apartment right on Gangnam station, full bonuses and the lot. What did they do with him? Stuck him in an office and had him do NOTHING the whole time he was there...literally and absolutely jack shit.

He tried several times to get them to give him something to do, but they just kept fobbing him off and telling him they would call him when they needed him.

He would come in, watch movies all day on his computer, and go (walk) home at 6pm. He eventually left for Qatar because the job was doing a number on his sanity.

Not saying all foreigner company jobs are like that, but mine definitely was...although my pay and benefits were significantly less than his (about 10X) due to age, expertise and experience.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2016, 06:46:22 pm »
^ yes.

Sometimes they are just a token westerner to pull out for clients to show that they are a global company.

• donuts81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 20, 2010, 10:23:37 am
    • Korea
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2016, 09:54:01 am »
A company worker, earning ~$40-50000 a year after working 10+ years isn't really insane amounts of money. By Western standards I'd say that is pretty poor. Granted the cost of living here is lower than many parts of the Western World.

Sure, you can add a bit for the larger chaebols... but I doubt some guy working for Apple/Google will be earning 50-60k after 10 years.

That's what I as thinking. The salaries are actually pretty sad especially when you think about years worked and hours put in.

The middle class is extremely compressed here with very little variation in salaries. Korea is not famous for (strong)workers' rights or (favorable)workers' conditions.
"You can't hurt me now, Mr Lee. I've lost all feeling"

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2016, 11:50:54 am »
Actually, Korea has very strong workers' rights...it's the reason why permanent positions are incredibly difficult to obtain here.

Companies don't want to make the commitment of being stuck with an employee for decades once they reach permanent status...so many exploit loopholes in the law - namely having employees quit right before they reach the required number of years to gain permanent status, and then re-hire the same employees on a different contract (or hire someone else completely).

There is talk of the government planning to make it easier to fire people in the near future. Don't know how that one will play out in the job market.

« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2016, 01:27:53 pm »
I know a guy that worked for Samsung engineering about 3 years back. They must have spent over half a million dollars on the guy in the 3 years he was there.

They got him an apartment right on Gangnam station, full bonuses and the lot. What did they do with him? Stuck him in an office and had him do NOTHING the whole time he was there...literally and absolutely jack shit.

He tried several times to get them to give him something to do, but they just kept fobbing him off and telling him they would call him when they needed him.

He would come in, watch movies all day on his computer, and go (walk) home at 6pm. He eventually left for Qatar because the job was doing a number on his sanity.

Not saying all foreigner company jobs are like that, but mine definitely was...although my pay and benefits were significantly less than his (about 10X) due to age, expertise and experience.

I would have loved to have his job.  I can get down with doing nothing.

• pkjh
  • The Legend

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2016, 09:18:10 pm »

I would have loved to have his job.  I can get down with doing nothing.
My dream job. Of course I'll probably have mental issues after a few years of just browsing fringe internet sites.

• pkjh
  • The Legend

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
    • Asia
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2016, 09:20:32 pm »
Actually, Korea has very strong workers' rights...it's the reason why permanent positions are incredibly difficult to obtain here.

Companies don't want to make the commitment of being stuck with an employee for decades once they reach permanent status...so many exploit loopholes in the law - namely having employees quit right before they reach the required number of years to gain permanent status, and then re-hire the same employees on a different contract (or hire someone else completely).

There is talk of the government planning to make it easier to fire people in the near future. Don't know how that one will play out in the job market.
A major reason for the recent protests they had here. PGH wants to get rid of a lot of the protections that unions have put here in the last 30 years. Perhaps if it were easier to fire workers, there would be more people in the large corporations that would be working until 65.

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2016, 11:46:57 pm »
Well, most Chaebols would need to be kept in check with some type of anti discriminatory laws such as asking about their family background, their age, the job photo, etc. 

As for making 40 to 50 K a year with the cheaper living costs and lower taxes, it would easily be 80 or 90 K a year or equivalent to that in a major western city.  (Same purchasing power I mean.)  This salary is not for managers or specialized positions like engineers, IT, etc.  These are your average office worker that have been on the job for a few years. 

« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2016, 09:47:44 pm »

See I don't get this.  It's in Japan too.  In Canada there's no permanent and temporary workers.  Well, not like here anyhow.  Most are permanent, though you can get fired quickly if you don't do your job or laid off if the economy goes bad.  But, it's easy to get a job.  Well in some places anyways.

About Japan, but similar to here?

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/community/2015/09/27/issues/legal-change-will-make-temp-purgatory-permanent-many-japanese-workers/#.VppJ6hFumM8

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2016, 02:56:04 pm »
In Canada there's no permanent and temporary workers.  Well, not like here anyhow.  Most are permanent, though you can get fired quickly if you don't do your job or laid off if the economy goes bad.

The difference is that workers here have very little protection when they start, but get many more vested rights when they put time in.

This *might* happen in Canada if you are part of a union, but the minimum rights you start with are much more.

• fullon1100
  • Explorer

• January 07, 2016, 09:33:57 am
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2016, 12:31:25 pm »
I work for a Korean company and I have full-time benefits.  I started as a part time for about 6 months, then was made a full-time employee with a contract. I get good private health insurance, a pension, Korean version of SS and benefits if I get injured on the job.

I was sent on a one month trip to the US to navigate a Korean around but I ended doing a lot of work; the job would have failed without my strong effort.

So at times, I know I am a token westerner for business marketing, I really don't care. As far as I am concerned, keep putting value on my surface value. No problem.  I have traveled to three different countries since being employed about 15 months ago.

If you are curious, I will answer questions (unofficial and off the radar).

I work for a growing middle small to middle sized company.  At times I do useful work, and at other times like right now I am making this reply and browsing various websites.  I do not make an insane amount of money, but it may increase and I do not have to come to the office on Saturdays; technically I work at home half a day.

« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2016, 01:36:27 pm »
Only people who work at certain factory jobs and at public schools get the strong worker protections...union ized car factory workers for Hyundai get ridiculous perks and have cushy pay and hours...and are notoriously unproductive.

Despite the notorious inability of public school employees to get fired, it's very rare to see teachers who aren't in their 20s or 30s.