Read 3603 times

• eskimo6
  • Explorer

• March 28, 2011, 11:30:45 am
    • Seoul
Mystery Drawing Game
« on: April 22, 2011, 02:33:39 pm »
This is a fun activity that can be adapted to pretty much any lesson, or can just be a stand-alone game at the end of a class. Students need to be at a level where they can describe pictures in English, but they can get by with some basic vocabulary and directional words (in front of, next to, etc.) It takes 15 minutes or so.

To start, each student draws a picture without showing anyone else. It's best if you can get them to draw something funny/interesting/unusual, like a tiger surfing or a pizza slice holding a telephone.

Then, students pair off and sit back-to-back. They don't have to be back-to-back, but it's a good way to make sure they don't look at each other's pictures. One student starts, and describes his/her picture to his/her partner. The partner then has to draw the same picture on a new piece of paper, just based on the verbal description. You'll get some pretty hilarious results-- one boy drew an airplane flying over a tree, and the drawing his partner came up with was a tree with an airplane going straight through it.

Then they switch, and the student who described now has to draw the partner's picture.

To adapt it to a particular lesson, just limit the kinds of things they can draw-- food, hobbies, jobs, etc. This would also be a good activity for a lesson on "in front of," "between," etc.

• tanya12
  • Waygookin

• November 08, 2010, 09:09:56 am
    • seoul
Re: Mystery Drawing Game
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 02:30:37 pm »
Thanks for this idea. I'll use it in my lesson!

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 02:51:43 pm »
This sounds fantastic!
Definitely going to use this.

Thanks for sharing.

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 09:28:20 am »
I tried this and it was brilliant!
I love drawing- so I asked some students to explain their drawings to me, whilst drawing it on the black/white board. Its great for directions (up down, left right, size, colour, texture etc.)
WIN!

• Dabs
  • Explorer

• April 26, 2011, 01:50:48 pm
    • Seosan
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 10:27:31 am »
It was nice game, my kids had fun. Thanks for your input.