Read 2186 times

• DaStrongOne
  • Moderator LVL 1

• December 01, 2015, 08:59:17 pm
    • Korea
Help with EPIK hiring timeline
« on: December 16, 2015, 04:57:02 pm »
This is my first post here and I've searched the site and others, but couldn't find the answers I'm looking for.

I want to start in Korea for EPIK ASAP. I've submitted an application through Korean Horizons and he told me that there are a three provinces that start on April 25th. Currently, I'm teaching in Thailand and my contract is up March 31st. I'm planning to go visit Canada for two weeks (could be less, see below) to see family, get a CRC and my documents notarized.

Now it only takes 3-4 days to get a CRC in Canada and another to get it notarized. Then I just gotta go to the embassy in Vancouver to get it authenticated (by April 8th, I hope to have it all done).

I'm hoping some people can tell me how quickly the next couple phases can be done.

From what I've gathered:
- I have to mail all documents to Korea
- They review and then mail the contract to sign and make an appointment for the visa
- I go to an embassy or consulate to get a visa issued

*I can get the contract mailed to Thailand and do the visa here, if needed*

And I have to be in Korea one week early for orientation, so the three things above need to be done BEFORE April 15th.

Is it possible to get all that done in one week?! I've been told yes, but lets hear some other opinions..

Thanks
ESL in the ROK - 19 games for any lesson - simply enter your data/choose a lesson and play

Re: Help with EPIK hiring timeline
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 08:10:35 am »
EPIK requires all those documents before they send you a certificate of employment which you can then bring to the Korean embassy in Canada and apply for a visa.

Back in the 2000s, this timeline could have worked. But now? Seems a little tight.

Did you talk to your coordinator? He would have a better idea for timelines than anyone here.

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 08:20:07 am »
I came to Korea from Canada in September and also worked with Korean Horizons.

Are you sure you looked into the right CRC? New this year, it is required to be a national check done with fingerprints. I had mine done by the RCMP in May and the processing time was 6-8 weeks.

After I had all my documents ready and notarized by the Korean consulate in Vancouver, I then had to mail them to Korea, which took about a week. It was about another week to get my notice of appointment in the mail and then 7 business days for the consulate to process my visa. I went in person to apply for and pick up my visa, but if you are mailing it in then you will need to allow for extra time there as well.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 08:23:49 am by courtneym »

• tamjen
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 19, 2013, 08:08:14 am
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 09:00:54 am »
See the "CRC Fingerprints for Canadians" Sticky at the start of this forum and check what I wrote. I believe I attached the RCMP form as well.

I am in Korea and had my RCMP w/ prints CRC done just a few months ago. I printed out the form, went to a local cop shop in Korea and had prints taken and had it signed and stamped, then couriered it to a company in Montreal who then sent ti to the RCMP in Ottawa. The check was done and the RCMP sent it back to the company in Montreal who then couriered it back to me in Korea. The entire process took a few business days. I can't recall, but it was very quick considering the machinations. 8 - 10 days total or something. It all depends on money, speed and time-savings cost.
Hail Caesar

• DaStrongOne
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Korea
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 09:41:48 am »
I've spoken with Alistair and he said there should be enough time, but I've worked in Asia long enough to know recruiters lie. Although, most people have good things to say about him and he's been very helpful so far.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/processing-time-criminal-record-and-vulnerable-sector-checks
If you get electronic fingerprints taken at a local RCMP (already confirmed the station I'm going to has them) it takes 3 days or less.. If it takes any longer then I'm screwed

I'm planning to come back to Thailand before going to Korea, so I want to get my NOA sent to my Thai address. Hoping that speeds up the process a bit *fingers crossed*
ESL in the ROK - 19 games for any lesson - simply enter your data/choose a lesson and play

• DaStrongOne
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Korea
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 09:46:17 am »

Are you sure you looked into the right CRC? New this year, it is required to be a national check done with fingerprints. I had mine done by the RCMP in May and the processing time was 6-8 weeks.

After I had all my documents ready and notarized by the Korean consulate in Vancouver, I then had to mail them to Korea, which took about a week. It was about another week to get my notice of appointment in the mail and then 7 business days for the consulate to process my visa. I went in person to apply for and pick up my visa, but if you are mailing it in then you will need to allow for extra time there as well.

Is there more than one CRC? I'm basing my info off this site:
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/processing-time-criminal-record-and-vulnerable-sector-checks

So it takes 7 business days for the Consulate to process the visa? Did you have to do an interview too?

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 09:55:59 am »
I've spoken with Alistair and he said there should be enough time, but I've worked in Asia long enough to know recruiters lie. Although, most people have good things to say about him and he's been very helpful so far.

If you get electronic fingerprints taken at a local RCMP (already confirmed the station I'm going to has them) it takes 3 days or less.. If it takes any longer then I'm screwed

I'm planning to come back to Thailand before going to Korea, so I want to get my NOA sent to my Thai address. Hoping that speeds up the process a bit *fingers crossed*

At least in my experience with Alistair, I found him to be very up-front and straightforward. If he says there will be enough time, then I'd believe him. Also, he has no reason to lie about that because if there isn't enough time then he won't have filled the position and won't get his recruiting fee.

Ah, now that you mention it, I remember my local RCMP saying they didn't have electronic fingerprinting available yet, so I had to go the paper route and it took forever!

I hope everything goes smoothly for you with your documents :)

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 10:00:01 am »

So it takes 7 business days for the Consulate to process the visa? Did you have to do an interview too?

You can also get CRCs from your local police department, but they are not always national and not many offer fingerprinting. It seems like you'll be fine with the electronic printing via the RCMP!

You can check current processing times on the consular website: http://can-vancouver.mofa.go.kr/english/am/can-vancouver/visa/info/index.jsp
If you click on the option for E2 Visa it currently says 'minimum 7 business days' for an in-person application.

I didn't need an interview or anything. I just went, dropped off the application, NOA, and copies of supporting documents along with payment (cash only). They gave me a pick up slip and told me to come back in the afternoon on the date that was listed (it was exactly 7 business days). On the day of, I was in and out in 10 minutes to pick it up.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 10:03:08 am by courtneym »

• DaStrongOne
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Korea
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 10:43:30 am »

You can also get CRCs from your local police department, but they are not always national and not many offer fingerprinting. It seems like you'll be fine with the electronic printing via the RCMP!

You can check current processing times on the consular website: http://can-vancouver.mofa.go.kr/english/am/can-vancouver/visa/info/index.jsp
If you click on the option for E2 Visa it currently says 'minimum 7 business days' for an in-person application.

I didn't need an interview or anything. I just went, dropped off the application, NOA, and copies of supporting documents along with payment (cash only). They gave me a pick up slip and told me to come back in the afternoon on the date that was listed (it was exactly 7 business days). On the day of, I was in and out in 10 minutes to pick it up.

Thanks for both your replies. You had me worried with the CRC, so I'll follow up to confirm it's a national one.

• DaStrongOne
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Korea
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2015, 10:47:30 am »
Has anyone ever been sent the contract and NOA without sending the notarized documents ahead of time?