Read 2866 times

• Somebody
  • Super Waygook

• May 04, 2012, 01:55:20 pm
    • Suwon
Goshiwon
« on: December 14, 2015, 12:34:02 am »
Does anybody know if a goshiwon as a housing contract is acceptable for an E2 visa by immigration? I've read that it is. But I would like to hear people's experiences with this.

• outsider
  • Veteran

• July 03, 2014, 04:19:05 am
    • Bucheon
Re: Goshiwon
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 02:18:01 am »
Are you planning on living in a goshiwon and taking the housing allowance?

I havent had an E-2 for a couple of years but, if your contract states that a housing allowance is provided you could claim to be living with friends and just bring a copy of their housing contract and have them sigb a form.  I did that a couple of years ago

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 07:48:13 am »
Depending on where you are employed it may not be that easy. A lot of contracts stipulate "up to..." so if your housing is cheaper then they pay less.

Also, they may already have housing for you that you have to accept.

But, if those above factors aren't an issue, then yes it would be considered housing. You just need a contract

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 09:24:47 am »
A friend of mine lived in a goshiwon while under an E2 visa. However, I think he chose to live in a goshiwon (i.e. the goshiwon wasn't the housing provided by his employer), so I think he probably just took the housing allowance from his employer (a hagwon) and used it toward living in a goshiwon while pocketing the leftover housing allowance money.

• bjinglee
  • Expert Waygook

• March 10, 2011, 10:29:48 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 10:54:48 am »
I've known a few people who've lived in goshiwons under an E2 visa, and I've known people who were given a 2 story loft apartment under an E2 visa. It's all luck of the draw.

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 04:00:29 pm »
Anyone know if a Goshiwon is acceptable for an address of residence when trying to get a D10 visa?

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 12:27:57 am »
My first public school provided apartment in Seoul was basically a goshiwon, so it can happen.

The building has since become a Hotel KP, so these pictures should give you a good idea of how tiny the place was.

It was pleasant enough, but I don't think I could put up with such a 'cosy' set up again.

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 08:03:58 am »
My first public school provided apartment in Seoul was basically a goshiwon, so it can happen.

The building has since become a Hotel KP, so these pictures should give you a good idea of how tiny the place was.

It was pleasant enough, but I don't think I could put up with such a 'cosy' set up again.

Actually those hotel rooms in the pictures look around the same size as most of the one bed apartments teachers post on youtube.

This would be more my idea of a typically sized goshiwon (which she still managed to talk about for nearly 9 minutes!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYY_X0bidjw
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 08:12:54 am by eggieguffer »

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 02:29:14 pm »
Anyone know if a Goshiwon is acceptable for an address of residence when trying to get a D10 visa?

Yes, a Goshiwon address is acceptable for a D10 Visa. I had a D10 Visa before while living in one.