Read 105271 times

• SoKo
  • Adventurer

• September 02, 2010, 12:19:22 pm
    • korea
Re: 5th grade Lesson 9: Whose boat is this?
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2010, 12:53:30 pm »
I used the 'whose song is this' ppt today.

Just wanna say thanks to those who came up with the idea, my students and co-teacher loved it :)

Thank you so much.

I <3 this site!

• s0nflwr
  • Waygookin

• June 25, 2010, 12:46:36 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2010, 01:39:36 pm »
@panda..

AMAZING! with the mp3 and the pictures are awesome..
I'm still new at trying to learn all the neat tricks to powerpoint, but I was wondering, how did you embed the picture and song together?? i've been trying to figure it out and for the life of me am clueless!

« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2010, 01:45:04 pm »
So pretty. I updated it a little. Basically I used mp3s instead of wav files as 45mb was kinda ridiculously big. I cut it down to 13MB and don't have the time to cut it down any further. It wouldn't be too hard as your 3000x2225 res images are possibly slight overkill unless you're showing this on a projector that displays at higher than 1080p resolution! Having said that, as I mentioned before it is so pretty!

In the future people should follow the very simple steps at http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/embed_mp3.html to trick powerpoint in to accepting mp3s instead of wavs. The one downside is that it may not work on a mac but then I've not seen a mac in a school. I guess if you're using your own Macbook then it's not a good idea but otherwise it makes the files much smaller.

When I downloaded your version, all but three of the links from the numbers to the songs didn't work.  The one I've uploaded, I did in a hurry so the numbers don't match formatting wise (for some reason the links that originally worked failed to work after I redid all of the links so I just grabbed three new number images). All of the links work and the numbers are set to dissolve away after being picked. 

I also removed the bomb screen and the bomb point system and made each question worth five points.  Teams could spend one point for each repetition of the song they needed, or three points to look at the picture of the band.  Misspellings also cost them a point so teams coud get 1-5 points depending on how well they knew the song.
Thanks to the original creator for this powerpoint and the revisor for the link on how to get ppt to embed mp3s.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 01:49:15 pm by danerdman1234 »

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2010, 02:16:12 pm »
I used the 'whose song is this' ppt today.

Just wanna say thanks to those who came up with the idea, my students and co-teacher loved it :)

Thank you so much.

I <3 this site!

LIKEWISE! This site is great...soooo much help. Also, my students loved doing this game

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2010, 02:47:52 pm »
Here's an illustrative PPT, a grid-based bomb game and a fill-in-the-dialog worksheet. You'll have to change the picture in the PPT :)

Hey Gillod! Where'd you get that comic for the dialog? Do you have more for the other lessons? Thanks!

« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2010, 09:39:03 am »
A game I played today in class that my kids loved:

I brought a bag (black so they could not see in it, but any color will do) and had everyone in the class put in one item of theirs. Then I pulled out the first item and asked different students "Is this yours?" and they had to answer "Yes, it's mine." or "No, it's not mine." After I found the person it belonged to, I gave them the bag and he/she had to pull out one item and ask whose item. To keep it quick, I played a timer for 20seconds. If they did not find the owner in that time, the owner had to come forward and say the item was theirs. This was great because everyone got a turn to practice.

• cathycat
  • Waygookin

• June 15, 2010, 02:31:10 pm
    • Pyeongtaek
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2010, 01:33:25 pm »
Thanks for the Kara song idea.^^  This video has larger subtitles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMSMiL7tSNk

I just played it at the beginning of my lesson and asked them what English words they heard related to our lesson.

• Beki
  • Adventurer

• June 06, 2010, 02:31:38 pm
    • Byeongjeom
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2010, 01:41:38 pm »
Thanks for the black bag game idea...I was scratching my head for one when I across yours!  Love it and hope my kids will too!

« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2010, 10:29:41 am »
I used the 'whose song' ppt yesterday, and classes were AWESOME! The kids loved the ppt!! Thank you for sharing!!

• krnpowr
  • Waygookin

• May 05, 2010, 08:29:30 pm
    • korea
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2010, 10:39:13 am »
BOMB GAME:

THE KIDS LOVED THIS.

The game is entirely self explanatory.
- Press the play button to play a sample of the song
- Click again to reveal an image of the group
- Click again to reveal the name of the group
- Click again to reveal the amounts of points won
- Click home to navigate back to the home menu

(You will have to write 1-20 on the board so students know what numbers are left to choose)

I took this presentation from jschering. I take no credit for the musicla content. Only the design)

Hope you enjoy it

So pretty. I updated it a little. Basically I used mp3s instead of wav files as 45mb was kinda ridiculously big. I cut it down to 13MB and don't have the time to cut it down any further. It wouldn't be too hard as your 3000x2225 res images are possibly slight overkill unless you're showing this on a projector that displays at higher than 1080p resolution! Having said that, as I mentioned before it is so pretty!

In the future people should follow the very simple steps at http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/embed_mp3.html to trick powerpoint in to accepting mp3s instead of wavs. The one downside is that it may not work on a mac but then I've not seen a mac in a school. I guess if you're using your own Macbook then it's not a good idea but otherwise it makes the files much smaller.

Loses on the first slide is misspelled.  It should be "loses", not "looses".

« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2010, 01:15:43 pm »
Hi, my first submission.
 Accompanying the PPT file is the story book file I made.  It's not exactly like the story, but 95% good.

Just cut the bracket line ONLY.  Then fold it, should have a diamond shape hole and try to line everything up with the first page (title and name).

Total time spent on story time reading and book was 25 minutes.  Kids stayed an extra 5 minutes to finished it, wouldn't leave.  Good lesson i guess.

« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2010, 03:29:48 pm »
Might be a bit late for some people, but here is a simple review worksheet I knocked up. Nothing fancy, just to the point!

• melissah
  • Veteran

• September 03, 2010, 07:54:54 am
    • Daejeon, South Korea
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2010, 12:36:12 pm »
My CT requested a reading and writing activity for the 3rd period of Lesson 9.

Here are two ppt's I created for them:

Around the World - One student stands behind another - first to correctly read the word on the board proceeds and stands behind the next student, game continues as long as you need it to... ;D

Write it Down - I tried to make an activity that would give some help to lower level students but hopefully also encourage higher level students to really think about what they know.

I figure, if they finish all of this plus the other pieces of the lesson then they earn the Kara video and they can pick out the key phrase - no problem!

Important Note:
I do all my PPT's in google docs so the youtube videos don't seem to be actually embeded once I download the lesson on to the desktop and rather they act as a link...so, sorry. I'm still not too hot on ppt (as you'll soon find out).

Best of teaching luck!

« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2010, 08:30:55 pm »
Here is a 15 minute guessing name I made including Korean celebrities. The kids went crazy over this.

- Students are divided into groups of 4-6 people.
- Each group is given a mini white board, board marker and eraser
- The teacher will reveal an image showing only part of a Korean celebrity
- Students repeat the question (Who's ____ is this?)
- Students have two guesses. Students should write 1 (Guess one) and their main guess. Then 2 (guess two) with their second choice
- Teacher reveals celebrity.
- If students guess correctly on their first turn then they receive 5 points. If they guess correctly on their second choice then they get 3 points.
- The team with the most points in the end wins.

P.S: One slide includes an Image of me and a Korean celebrity. His name is Son Ho Young and he used to be a member of JYP's 'G.O.D'

wow you really know your korean celebrities.  Great picture editing.  did you use photoshop?

« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2010, 08:52:14 am »
here are some instructions for the 'items in a bag' game that teacherjenni mentioned above.  would be helpful for introducing the game.

also, i'm attaching the 'whose song is this?' game that danerdman1234 last posted (it worked!), but with traditional points/red bomb/black bomb/thief bomb game format.

kids loved it.  also, one bomb game tip--start out with three points for each team so there's always something to lose.  :D

• melissah
  • Veteran

• September 03, 2010, 07:54:54 am
    • Daejeon, South Korea
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2010, 01:34:41 pm »
For Reading our students played this game of Around the World. They did well - I should have mixed the words up more - they started to memorize the order...I figured as much.  Anyway - if you haven't gotten to period 3 or need an idea of one more game/a easy and fun reading activity - check it out!

• whistle
  • Explorer

• September 11, 2010, 09:05:52 pm
    • gwangju
grade 5 lesson 9 "whose boat is this?"
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2010, 02:39:57 pm »
Pronouns and a song to the tune of "bingo" 
adapted from the utube pronoun video. 

• wajowens
  • Veteran

• September 01, 2010, 01:08:08 pm
    • Daejeon
Whose boat is this? - comprehensive typhoon game
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2010, 01:16:00 pm »
This typhoon game is adapted from a really nice template I found on here.

The slide at the end was written up on the board throughout, and I'd drilled it previously - it's only in this ppt for teacher reference.

This game's designed to practise both the formation of the question AND the response. They haven't learnt possessive pronoouns before which is why they need to be up on the board; I've varied them as much as possible through the game to make sure the full range is included.

I tried to include plurals as well (whose dogs are these?) - but it ended up with me drilling the verb "to be" along with "this / that / these / those" from scratch, as apparently "they don't learn plurals of verbs until middle school".

Thanks again to the creator of the template.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 01:18:00 pm by wajowens »

• kimjoohui
  • Veteran

• April 05, 2010, 09:22:43 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2010, 02:42:28 pm »
the "whose song" bomb game looks awesome! thanks for sharing it! :)

• gsjones
  • Explorer

• May 17, 2010, 06:52:48 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2010, 08:01:05 am »
Here is a 15 minute guessing name I made including Korean celebrities. The kids went crazy over this.

- Students are divided into groups of 4-6 people.
- Each group is given a mini white board, board marker and eraser
- The teacher will reveal an image showing only part of a Korean celebrity
- Students repeat the question (Who's ____ is this?)
- Students have two guesses. Students should write 1 (Guess one) and their main guess. Then 2 (guess two) with their second choice
- Teacher reveals celebrity.
- If students guess correctly on their first turn then they receive 5 points. If they guess correctly on their second choice then they get 3 points.
- The team with the most points in the end wins.

P.S: One slide includes an Image of me and a Korean celebrity. His name is Son Ho Young and he used to be a member of JYP's 'G.O.D'

wow you really know your korean celebrities.  Great picture editing.  did you use photoshop?

Yeah. I use Photoshop for the majority of my PPT's, worksheets, games and wall presentations. Although the kids really don't care about the graphics it definitely wins points with the teacher and school.