Read 105273 times

Re: Grade 5, Lesson 9 - Whose Boat is This? (2011, Merged with old)
« Reply #220 on: September 20, 2011, 04:01:38 pm »
An idea for "Is this yours?" "no mine is blue" based on the old famous person game.

Make a worksheet of 12 items (or however many 5th graders you have.) (i.e. a red ball, a blue book)  Cut them up and give one item to each 6th grader **but don't let them see their card**  Show the items on a PPt slide (12 + many more options that are not on people's cards) and make the group stand in a circle around the board.  The PPT is a reference, sort of like a word bank for the kids to refer to.  They each take their card, and stick it to their forehead, so everyone can see their card but they can't see their own card.

The first person guesses what their card is.  Let's say they guess "red ball."  Tell them to say 'is this red ball mine?'   The person they ask must say "no yours is...." and something describing their card like 'yellow' or 'no yours is big.' If they guess right obviously they win and the person being spoken to must say 'yes it is yours!'

• EvoNomis
  • Explorer

• August 27, 2011, 09:26:06 pm
    • Incheon
Re: 5th grade Lesson 9: Whose boat is this?
« Reply #221 on: September 21, 2011, 03:59:05 pm »
I want to ask how did u make the bomb game PPT. I want to do the action in which when u go back to the game board after finding out the points rewarded, the slide that was picked is now X'ed out or is gone. thanks! I can't figure it out.

Here's an illustrative PPT, a grid-based bomb game and a fill-in-the-dialog worksheet. You'll have to change the picture in the PPT :)

• prospybite
  • Explorer

• June 17, 2011, 05:56:56 am
    • Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #222 on: September 21, 2011, 07:06:20 pm »
I don't know why they keep erasing my posts... so...I'm never above the 5 posts limit. But... when I could download the file, I downloaded the Ghost Buster bomb game! I wanted to let you know that it was a success and wanted to thank you for it! I modified a few things, but.. the kids LOVED it! Wow. I grouped the kids into 5 groups (works out perfectly with the number of slides) and gave the winning team a stamp (I'm doing the stamp/sticker system! ^_^) THANKS AGAIN!

• ManFromScene24
  • Waygookin

• September 01, 2011, 10:39:15 am
    • Chungcheongbuk-do, Eumseong-gun, Keumwang-eup
Grade 5 Lesson 9 Crossword Puzzle (possession)
« Reply #223 on: September 21, 2011, 10:04:26 pm »
Hey all,

Here is a crossword puzzle for Grade 5 Lesson 9: Whose Boat is This?
It's good for a review day. Just make sure they know the meaning of "belongs to _____."
Also, apostrophe ['] is a valid character for use in the spaces (i.e. it's mine)

Enjoy!

« Reply #224 on: September 22, 2011, 03:39:59 pm »
Here is - a matching memory game with written vocabulary (to help with reading)

- a review ppt with images from the "Whose puppy is it" video (among other things). The word is written on the screen and students are asked which of three possible pictures it might be (A,B,C). There are also some other bits of review from other peoples ppts squeezed in as well.

- an intro ppt introducing Simpsons characters by name and then shots of only their hair and the question "Whose hair is it?" for the students to answer.

« Reply #225 on: September 23, 2011, 12:52:39 pm »
Does anyone have any good suggestions for Grade 5-6 gifted class?

« Reply #226 on: September 23, 2011, 02:03:52 pm »
a fun activity i did with this was to have items at a pretend lost and found counter. students can practice the target language with "no thats not mine' "mine is blue."

« Reply #227 on: September 23, 2011, 04:18:52 pm »
information gap

• Robotka
  • Veteran

• October 05, 2010, 01:05:29 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #228 on: September 26, 2011, 03:23:17 pm »
My co-teacher and I made a blazing pens style Quiz Game.  She wrote the sentences in Korean (2-3 sentences per slide), and the students had to figure out the correct English translation. 

We used mini white boards, 1 per team, and they passed them to the next student for each question.  5 points if they got everything perfect (including spelling, punctuation, and especially correct pronoun - most students had trouble with this/that/it, these/those/they).  Minus 1 point for each mistake.

The first day we played the game, it took about 20 minutes for the first 6 questions, so we split it into two parts and played again the next day.  The students really enjoyed it, and it's a great way to get them thinking about correct grammar, etc.

Since the game comprises two ppt files and a midi sound, I combined them into one zip file.

After the last answer on the Part 2 ppt, I embedded a sound and used an animated gif for "The End."  If the sound isn't embedded properly after you download and unzip the files, you can re-embed it.  I'm including directions for how to do that in the Powerpoint 2003 Menus... document, as well as how to modify the timing of the transition after the gif played through once.  On some computers, the timing doesn't work out properly.  Also, screen shots are included in case your MS Office is in Korean.  I have Office 2003 in English, but I used to only have Korean so I know what a pain that can be!

• Robotka
  • Veteran

• Seoul
« Reply #229 on: September 26, 2011, 03:34:45 pm »
I loved the "Whose Dung is This?" Storybook, and so did the students.  Well, some of them freaked out a little, but it was funny.

I added animations and quote marks to the powerpoint that I downloaded.  The animations (actually just white rectangles disappearing) really made it that much funnier!  Also, I put a huge white rectangle over the title page so they couldn't read it when I first opened the file.  More surprising that way.

Then, I made another guessing type powerpoint of actual animal dung (African animals).  That one was made in about 5 minutes, so it's not the greatest style-wise.  I used it right before lunch in one class, and I'm pretty sure all the students lost their appetites...

• hmartin832
  • Explorer

• September 01, 2011, 09:11:00 am
    • Jeju, South Korea
Grade 5, Lesson 9 - Whose Boat is This?
« Reply #230 on: September 26, 2011, 08:46:46 pm »
This ppt is simple and gets the message straight to the students. I would only use it for the first time of teaching this lesson.

« Reply #231 on: September 28, 2011, 08:30:34 am »
face saviour trying to figure out WHOSE BOAT IS THIS? If not I guess I will have to provide a intro ppt. to see if anyone will claim it.

enjoy the INTRO PPT of this lesson. with some focus put on this/that (is) vs these/those (are).

• rkddmstlf
  • Explorer

• August 26, 2011, 08:45:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #232 on: September 28, 2011, 09:10:54 am »
5-9-4 reading and writing practice
I hope it will be very helpful to Ss.

• rkddmstlf
  • Explorer

• August 26, 2011, 08:45:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #233 on: September 28, 2011, 09:38:41 am »
5-9-5 story time

• Wendy88
  • Explorer

• September 17, 2011, 09:33:41 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #234 on: October 07, 2011, 12:26:50 pm »
A game you could use is where all students have to put an item of theirs in a box. They volunteer to come up to the front and pick an item out. Whatever they pick up, they have to ask the whole class 'Whose ____ is this?', and the person who owns that item have to stand up and say 'That ____ is mine'.  This can be repeated many times until the box is empty.

« Reply #235 on: October 10, 2011, 08:12:30 am »
This is the ppt that I used for the Story in this chapter.

I had two students come up and they acted out the story. One student was Hamin (or HaNam if the student was a boy) and one student was the mother/father. The kids always thought it was funny that the students were acting like parent and child.

It was cute. hope you enjoy

• Robotka
  • Veteran

• Seoul
« Reply #236 on: October 13, 2011, 12:50:21 pm »
I used the song someone else suggested, "Lupin" by Kara - "It's mine. This is mine".  I found a decent English cover version (the singer's not great, but passable): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3uFl_4bi7I

She didn't include the lyrics in that video, so I combined another video with her audio.  Here's the lyrics she said she used (but the audio track is the original Korean): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhnSRLxnuWY

The attached AVI file is the English audio from the first link above with the lyrics from the second.

*If you're interested in more K-pop songs with English versions, check out my new thread!  http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,23254.0.html

• jkelley
  • Explorer

• September 06, 2011, 01:21:28 pm
    • seoul
Re: Grade 5 Index L9-Whose boat is this?-"Whose Dung is this? PPT Practice"
« Reply #237 on: October 14, 2011, 11:38:14 am »
Great PPT for the lesson Whose Boat is this? .F\Very funny for the kids and offers good practice in a story format. Teacher reads story and students answer questions about the story later.

• mkilbride
  • Waygookin

• October 19, 2011, 09:32:20 am
    • Yangsan
« Reply #238 on: October 26, 2011, 01:52:33 pm »
For the additional activity listed at the end of the teacher's guide (worksheet pages 515-516), I'm adding a second page. The activity is basically they get answers and have to then supply the questions. Because the first time it may be a bit difficult for them to understand, I found having a second go-round was helpful.

« Reply #239 on: November 07, 2011, 03:12:47 pm »
Here are picture & sentence cards.