Read 105261 times

• J4MES
  • Explorer

• March 09, 2011, 09:31:11 am
    • Busan
Re: Grade 5, Lesson 9 - Whose Boat is This? (2011, Merged with old)
« Reply #180 on: September 08, 2011, 12:42:40 pm »
Ok... MASSIVE thank you to Nina for the initial upload!  Brilliant work.

I've changed it slightly so it's more like a Bomb Game.  Added a menu and opening screen.  To reveal the answers just click on A,B,C and D like before.  Then once the S's have guessed, click on any white part to reveal the answer - it displays a picture of the group/singer and completes the sentence.

Tested it on my grade 3 after school class and they went mental!  Asked to do it again and again.

• jennykim
  • Explorer

• November 20, 2010, 07:41:59 am
    • seoul
« Reply #181 on: September 08, 2011, 01:06:19 pm »

Here's lesson 9 teaching material.
The video clip is very cute!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWxrJI_Tna8
Enjoy~

« Reply #182 on: September 08, 2011, 02:47:29 pm »
Here is some material we used to teach this chapter. We told a story about poop, which was  total hit. "Whose dung is this?" And we also put together a PPT to help with comprehension after  (though we didn't end up using it!). And then we did a fun game using our personal items. Whose is it. Students were split itno four groups. Each group is given one small whiteboard and marker. We have our students numbered in each group from best English skills to worst (they don't know that), so that the best students sit next to the ones who are struggling. Then all the number 1 face off and have to answer the question, "Whose is it?" The must write in a full sentence, "It's Sarah Teacher's." They get a point if they're right.

• gaewoong
  • Adventurer

• October 07, 2010, 01:18:28 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #183 on: September 08, 2011, 03:27:07 pm »
Here is a powerpoint I made for Period 5 Story Time - Hamin's Songpyeon Part 1. It's the one where students read the story from Level 1 through Level 5, each time with more words missing from the story. Thanks to foreverJ and tmmoe for their previous powerpoints as I was able to use some of your pictures/slides for this powerpoint. Enjoy! :D

• thankQ
  • Adventurer

• May 30, 2011, 01:17:38 pm
    • South Korea
Whose is it? Reading game (PPT and handout)
« Reply #184 on: September 08, 2011, 03:58:44 pm »
I made this as a game for the reading portion of chapter 9, 5th grade. I've attached the PPT and the handout. Just click through the slides in a reasonable amount of time then go through and check the answers with them. I hope you can have some fun with this!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 04:03:30 pm by thankQ »

• thankQ
  • Adventurer

• May 30, 2011, 01:17:38 pm
    • South Korea
Reading speed game
« Reply #185 on: September 08, 2011, 04:00:45 pm »
I made this as a game for the reading portion of chapter 9, 5th grade. I've attached the PPT and the handout. Just click through the slides in a reasonable amount of time then go through and check the answers with them. I hope you can have some fun with this!

« Reply #186 on: September 08, 2011, 09:31:57 pm »
Here is the rewording game for the chapter! My class went pretty well with this game. It was a good review for the kids.

Just cut into pieces and hand 3 sentences (blue, red, green) per two students.
If you want to challenge them, you can make everything in black ink!
For my kids, they thought it was pretty easy.

After they made sentences, I asked them to put sentences in order, and made them read it to the class!

« Reply #187 on: September 09, 2011, 09:41:32 am »
I'm not clever enough to know how to reply to specific people, but I want to say thanks to the people who made the "Whose song is it?" powerpoint game and to whomever made the whiteboard game. Both have gone over superbly with my classes today and I really appreciate it!

• Anna v W
  • Explorer

• March 16, 2011, 12:17:32 pm
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #188 on: September 09, 2011, 09:59:10 am »
I made this extra activity for Whose boat is this? story time.
My kids like it when we play games like this, it makes story time less tedious.

• Kimmi
  • Explorer

• June 02, 2011, 01:36:57 pm
    • Busan
« Reply #189 on: September 09, 2011, 10:17:38 am »
I made a powerpoint where the kids have to roleplay different scenarios and then come to the front of the class and stand in a position indicated by a stick figure. Try making really ridiculous positions for the students and they'll all laugh and have a great time. It seems to work really well and is super easy to make. It only takes 5 to 10 minutes and you definitely don't need a template.

Re: "Whose is this?" - Possessives activity!
« Reply #190 on: September 09, 2011, 12:51:25 pm »
Directions:
Materials needed: chalk, candy/reward, PEOPLE cards (6), & OBJECT cards (1).
Write down responses, including my phrase, on board.
Tell students directions: “Ok, class! Divide into 6 groups, please!” (Wait until they have done that and gain their attention). “Now I’m going to explain the rules of our activity! I am going to pass out 9 cards to each group. Each card has a different person on it doing a different job. For example: Pilot, Doctor, etc… Now I have 9 objects, each one goes with one of your people cards. What I want you to do, as a group, is when I say ‘Whose      is this?’ you will hold up the card with your answer on it. I will call on the first group that holds up their answer and they will tell me ‘It is the       ‘s.’. Each group that gets the answer right gets ONE point. The group that gets the answer first gets TWO points. (COMP CHECK) “Ok, who can tell me what you will have on your cards?” “What about my cards?” “Do you work in a group or individually?” “When I say ‘Whose BUS is this?’ what will your group do?” “What about if I say ‘Whose GUITAR is this?’” “OK! Let’s get started!” Pass out the People cards and start the game!

First off, this is a great idea!  I made added more jobs and changed the rules to allow more involvement.  My kids loved it.  They're generally low to mid level students, but they concentrated really well because they each had individual responsibility in this game.

I used 12 jobs & the Korean translations (firefighter, police officer, actor, singer, cook, doctor, computer programmer, soccer player, teacher, soldier, musician and scientist).   I printed and laminated the cards, so they wouldn't be destroyed.  I also made a PPT to explain the game, since i don't have flashcards.

My kids were in groups of 6, so each got 2 job cards that *they* were responsible for.  This way, *everyone* has to pay attention lol.  It worked really well.  Individual responsibility ftw.  Once the cards were passed out, i reviewed the jobs once more - students raised their cards to show that they knew what they were doing. 

I wrote the sentence form on the board and read the questions.  The first group to raise their card made their sentence.  The entire class repeated the sentence, so it's not just me talking at them - they're listening to each other.

Note:  Just make sure that *only* the group who raises the card first, reads first.  Otherwise you'll get an overwhelming cacophony of complaints... lol

• Nooners
  • Veteran

• September 06, 2011, 01:47:32 pm
    • Suwon
« Reply #191 on: September 09, 2011, 02:42:56 pm »
Does anyone have a good "project" to go with the review in the last lass of Lesson 9?
 My co-teacher reckons the one in the book is too easy... or hard.
 Actually, all I know is that she doesn't want me to do it...

• koggel123
  • Waygookin

• April 20, 2011, 01:13:39 pm
    • pohang, south korea
« Reply #192 on: September 09, 2011, 03:27:58 pm »
At the risk of this sounding increadibly stupid/lazy  -  I see so many of the posts here mention ppt's and games and worksheets. Well, um, do you use these in addition to the CD's that accompany the textbook, or do you often leave out some of the activities/songs/games in the textbook and replace them with your own ? I must say, I have often thought the ideas/activities of the textbook really boring or silly. Almost meaningless at times. And more often than not, the games are really no challenge at all, nor are they any fun . . .

• complex303
  • Featured Contributor

• December 02, 2009, 09:34:06 am
    • California
« Reply #193 on: September 09, 2011, 06:21:59 pm »
At the risk of this sounding increadibly stupid/lazy  -  I see so many of the posts here mention ppt's and games and worksheets. Well, um, do you use these in addition to the CD's that accompany the textbook, or do you often leave out some of the activities/songs/games in the textbook and replace them with your own ? I must say, I have often thought the ideas/activities of the textbook really boring or silly. Almost meaningless at times. And more often than not, the games are really no challenge at all, nor are they any fun . . .

This post is off-topic, so if you really want to talk about you should start a new thread on it.

To answer your question, I don't use the book at all.  I have a rotating schedule, so I only see the 5th graders every other week. When my co-teachers teach alone, they teach from the book, but they speed through it because it the kids find it boring.  We all usually find better games to replace what's in the book.

« Reply #194 on: September 12, 2011, 11:53:37 am »
pictures for the project

« Reply #195 on: September 12, 2011, 11:57:17 am »
this is the game(practice) of the possesive

« Reply #196 on: September 14, 2011, 02:55:59 pm »
who hums this unit's song at least once a day? sadly I'm guilty of this...

I hear you... this gets song gets stuck in my head almost as often as "Nobody but you" by the Wonder Girls... :P

• TrentPayton
  • Explorer

• August 25, 2011, 04:03:00 pm
    • Ulsan, South Korea
« Reply #197 on: September 14, 2011, 04:22:55 pm »
The Song game was amazing, the students got really excited as the subject matter was something they could relate to. I found it quite difficult to make the game really competitive as they are getting the answers correct, but all in all a perfect lesson activity for grade 5's!! thanks!!

« Reply #198 on: September 15, 2011, 11:12:08 am »
the kpop guessing game worked out perfectly. i was surprised with the kids and how much they know about the idols and songs!

• ladymp22
  • Adventurer

• June 15, 2011, 09:01:48 am
    • Ansan, South Korea
Whose boat is this? Grade 5
« Reply #199 on: September 15, 2011, 11:16:02 am »
Lesson plan for Lesson 9 ppt included