Read 105252 times

• kirstenw
  • Waygookin

• December 15, 2010, 10:40:33 am
    • wasu-ri, gangwon-do
Re: Grade 5, Lesson 9 - Whose Boat is This? (2011, Merged with old)
« Reply #160 on: September 06, 2011, 10:30:58 am »
those 'whose song is this' powerpoints are both brilliant.
just a quick note: check them before you use them, it's not a big deal but 4minute is spelt wrong at one point and i would suggest changing the black eyed peas photo..  in the current one fergie has a lot of cleavage out which is something we might not noticed but the kids do..  definitely change the one of rhianna

thanks for all the posts, perfectly happy to have one less powerpoint to make

and if you want to play heads down thumbs up here's a powerpoint (i stole it and modified it slightly from some else who posted it in 4th grade lessons)..  it explains it pretty well but uses "is this yours?"  - easy to change though...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 10:39:24 am by kirstenw »

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• September 21, 2010, 10:28:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #161 on: September 06, 2011, 12:53:47 pm »
They're back!

Sentence Search Worksheet for Whose Boat is This?

If the worksheet looks dull and dry, its because I hate finding clipart so just scribbled some hint pictures around the edge and in the gaps prior to photocopying. Basic premise is that there are some sentences (5 to be precise) hidden in the grid, and they're arranged head-to-tail, weaving about like a little snake. As this particular snake does not loop back on itself in a circle, I've noted the start and end points. Students find and circle the sentences and transcribe them down using proper punctuation. The sentences form somewhat of a conversation. Naturally with any such wordsearch or crossword style worksheet, student completion times vary significantly, so there is a bonus utilising the spare letters as padding. Contains the word purple which I find students often cannot spell. Perhaps write it on the corner of the whiteboard discreetly prior to handing out the page.

The bonus secret message utilising the spare letters is read L->R, T->B.

Equivalent worksheets exist for Grade 6, Unit 9 as well as roughly half of the remaining topics for the 2011 school year (from 2010).
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 01:00:48 pm by Paul »
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• September 21, 2010, 10:28:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #162 on: September 06, 2011, 01:34:03 pm »
I need game ideas for this lesson..something to allow students to practice mine, yours, his, hers, ours, theirs.  Thanks.

As this is beyond the scope of the book (oddly enough), we're going to be teaching it at the end.

Attached is a Battleships Gameboard.

Has the students practice all the above language and also match them up in pairs (ie: Is this our ['-']? -> Yes, it's ours. / No, it isn't.) The reason for only reiterating the question in case of the less common positive response is to keep the students on their toes and prevent them from getting lazy, burning out and dropping down to just Yes and No. The gameboard is 6x5 and entirely Star Wars themed. Yes, I had more fun than adult should making it.

Print one page per student, but they play in pairs. It is best to have the students all fold their boards in half (the lower half of the board is kept hidden) and then hide their fleet of spaceships together. Then once they do that, stress the importance of keeping the lower half secret and guide them through the steps by example.

It is recommended that you have your Korean co-teacher explain in Korea why "your [._.]" and "my [._.]" are muddled around (because you're speaking to each other) because it is likely different from what they'd have in their notes.

Two versions exist in the file. One has a humourous 5th piece of vocab, the other one is suitable for schools where family may be a sore point. A PPT version exists so you can demonstrate on the big screen, or just edit in your own vocab.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 02:45:44 pm by Paul »
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

« Reply #163 on: September 06, 2011, 01:40:35 pm »
My kids loved this ppt

• obnavox3
  • Adventurer

• June 15, 2010, 01:48:52 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #164 on: September 06, 2011, 01:41:02 pm »
How I will play, I've got some classroom themed magnetic cards so I'm using those:   

First, let’s look at these cards as I put them on the board.
   I will choose 2 students to come the board..
   Everyone else, heads down and thumbs up!
   The 2 students will quietly walk around the room and will touch your thumb and give one card to you.
   After that, the 2 students come back to the front.
   I will say, “HEADS UP SEVEN UP!”
   The students that had their thumbs touched and received cards must guess who touched their thumb.
   For example, Ji-won:“Minhee, is this your pencil?
        Minhee: No, it’s not mine.
   Since Ji-won was wrong, they must change places.  If Jiwon was right, then the students don't change spots.

My coteacher and I decided it would make more sense to first practice, then start with 2 students, then 3, 4, 5, etc as necessary.  We also switched the consequences of getting the answer right or wrong.  I think if the kid in the seat with the card gets it wrong, he should have to change places.  This would ensure the students change places more. 

« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 02:06:41 pm by obnavox3 »

• Nooners
  • Veteran

• September 06, 2011, 01:47:32 pm
    • Suwon
« Reply #165 on: September 06, 2011, 02:17:07 pm »
Hi!

I have a simple PPT for the 1st class, using this TL:

"Whose _____ is this"?
"It's mine".

• Nooners
  • Veteran

• September 06, 2011, 01:47:32 pm
    • Suwon
« Reply #166 on: September 06, 2011, 02:19:04 pm »
I also have a PPT game and accompnying worksheet for the 2nd class.

Enjoy!

• A_Z
  • Waygookin

• October 27, 2010, 07:23:04 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #167 on: September 06, 2011, 02:46:27 pm »
Adamzero, you really need to get a sense of humor. Good luck getting your kids to actually respect you without one.  Also, where did you go to school? I went to really conservative private schools for 13 years and never would have gotten a call home over this story. I suppose you want to put "Everyone Poops" on the banned book list, too.  How about "Hop on Pop" for inspiring violence against fathers?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 02:51:50 pm by A_Z »

• Helena S
  • Waygookin

• March 06, 2011, 10:09:37 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #168 on: September 06, 2011, 03:21:57 pm »
A pretty easy writing activity, but I thought it was good practice for my kids. They write the answers in their notebooks.

• Nykeva
  • Waygookin

• December 28, 2010, 11:35:16 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #169 on: September 06, 2011, 11:07:39 pm »
Today for 5.9.2 instead of playing the game listed in the book....I played a game of Mafia with my students.  I gave all of them a card and replaced the words typically used in the game "Who do you think is Mafia?" with "Whose card is this?"  And used other target phrases.."Is this your card?"  "No, that's not mine./Yes,  that's mine."  Where they fit.  My kids weren't very good at the game...but they did have fun playing it.

• jhzang
  • Explorer

• August 31, 2011, 08:18:47 am
    • Ansan, Kyeonggi-do
Re: 5th grade Lesson 9: Whose boat is this?
« Reply #170 on: September 07, 2011, 09:31:13 am »
That song guessing PPT was awesome, so I made another one. 
This PPT uses English pop songs.  I'm pretty sure 5th graders know Michael Jackson and maybe the Beatles.  They'll have to guess on the rest of the songs.
If anyone's uncomfortable with letting 5th graders listen to rap, you can delete the last 2 slides.
It's so creative to use songs as material for possessive lesson. To use this, I need to teach students American songs in advance.

« Reply #171 on: September 07, 2011, 09:42:00 am »
lol. look like nearly everyone in Korean elementary schools used the 'Whose song is this?' game. it was awesome for class. i modified it so you can stop the song and make it more challenging and put the question 'whose song is this?'

hope this is useful. whoever made it orignally, great job

• ohherro
  • Veteran

• March 10, 2011, 07:43:35 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #172 on: September 07, 2011, 10:16:18 am »
Attached is a ppt to spice up the Look and Speak section.

I ask for a volunteer to say the correct sentence until we've gone through the slide.  Then I ask the students in each group to pick a role and practice speaking.  My kids are grouped into groups of 4, so each kid has a turn speaking.

Then, I ask for groups who want to speak it out loud to stand up and say the entire dialogue.

• blueyes9765
  • Adventurer

• September 06, 2011, 02:51:04 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #173 on: September 07, 2011, 12:34:38 pm »
Power point used for a pass the ball game similar to hot potatoe I used it in period 2.
Pass the ball to different teams when the music stops they have to make a sentence for the object whose_____ is this?

• Stephyc4
  • Waygookin

• August 30, 2011, 09:06:37 am
    • Daejeon
« Reply #174 on: September 07, 2011, 01:21:39 pm »
The bomb game is really well done. I'm planning on using bob's edit. I'm not sure of the exact way it was intended to be played. This is how I plan on using it:

I'm going to split the class into teams (most likely 6 teams of 4 players each). I'm going to point to one of the games squares. Teams have to discuss together, based on the squares location, what is the correct way to complete the target phrases. (Who's ______ is this, It's ________ boat.) The first team that raises their hands gets to answer. To try and include all the students, I will stress that the whole team must answer. I won't necessarily select the first team, if there is a team that rarely has an oppurtunity to answer.

I'm sure there are better ways of using this resource and I'd love to hear them.

• blueyes9765
  • Adventurer

• September 06, 2011, 02:51:04 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #175 on: September 07, 2011, 01:28:50 pm »
A Game that we played went like this:( It was my CT idea IDK where she got it from)
 Groups of six chose one object~ They go around and each say that it is theirs because. This pencil is mine because I love the color pink. The other teams have to figure out WHose object it is. They can also do the opposite... This isn't mine because I don't like pink. This isn't mine ( a phone) because I have an iphone. If they get it correct they get a point. WInner has the most points. No powerpoint or worksheets neeede

• wolftashie
  • Adventurer

• August 29, 2011, 08:28:27 am
    • Gaya-myeon, SOUTH KOREA
« Reply #176 on: September 07, 2011, 02:17:29 pm »
So here's an idea for a game I came up with.  It's a new twist on an old technique though.

I call it the Bomb / Duck and Cover game.

All you need is a box and 3 distinctive things.  (I use my deck of cards, an old watch, and a weird hi-liter.) You put your items in the box, then you go around the classroom and get one distinctive thing from each student.  Then you mix it up and have the students pull one item at a time out.  The whole class asks "Whose is this?"  Then the Student who owns it says "It's mine!"  The class says "It's __'s"  But when they pick up your item, you yell "bomb"!  :oAnd everybody ducks under the desk.  The last person under the desk is out.  When you get down to 3, they are the winners. :D
TEECHA! SONG TEECHA!

• Baedunmike
  • Explorer

• May 31, 2010, 07:21:14 pm
    • Goseong, South Korea
    more
« Reply #177 on: September 08, 2011, 04:37:28 am »
Here are two Korean Games From my Co-teacher some of you may like.

Mike

• jimiready
  • Adventurer

• October 14, 2010, 02:31:08 pm
    • Gyeongsamnam-do
« Reply #178 on: September 08, 2011, 09:51:44 am »
For this lesson I put the following on the board:

Whose boat is this?
Is this boat your boat?
No! This boat is not my boat. My boat is red.
This boat is blue so this boat is your boat.

Then I told the class that this was far too long. How can wee shorten it?
In each class, some bright spark was able to find at least one way:
Is this boat yours.  etc
And then the class gets the idea and soon they have reduced it all.

Whose boat is this?
Is this yours?
No!This is not mine. Mine is red.
This is blue so this is yours.

I rub the words out as we go and leave a red line in its place.
Then at the end I note the first mention of "boat" and do arrows from the red lined spaces back up to the original "boat" in the first line.
For the stronger students I talk about pronouns shortening nouns etc...

• Catherine
  • Explorer

• March 04, 2011, 09:47:11 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #179 on: September 08, 2011, 12:20:20 pm »
Here is a guessing game, designed with PPT.
By splitting the class into small groups, they had to guess which following objects they belonged to.