Read 105256 times

• yjlove31
  • Newgookin

• March 02, 2011, 10:00:41 pm
    • Inchon, Korea
Re: Grade 5, Lesson 9 - Whose Boat is This? (2011, Merged with old)
« Reply #120 on: August 31, 2011, 12:15:26 pm »
Here's a worksheet for lesson 9.
It is quite simple. I use it for students' homework and  test materials.

« Reply #121 on: August 31, 2011, 12:55:10 pm »
LOVE the ppt (Whose song is this), Nina!! Good stuff :) Will use it tomorrow. Good idea about breaking them up in groups.

• JC49
  • Featured Contributor

• July 18, 2009, 08:41:03 am
    • PYEONTAEK,SOUTH KOREA
« Reply #122 on: August 31, 2011, 01:19:30 pm »
Here is a vocabulay pp t for the stort :Where is the Dung?

Re: 5th grade Lesson 9: Whose boat is this?
« Reply #123 on: August 31, 2011, 02:37:38 pm »
does anyone know how to shorten the length of the song clips in the 'Whose song is this?' game.

My students got all of the right and I'd like to make it harder by making the clips only a couple seconds long.

Thanks, great game.

i know many people finished this lesson last semester but a quick fix to stopping the music on a powerpoint:

1. pick a shape, any shape
2. with the shape highlighted, go to insert > action
3. under action settings > mouse click, select 'play sound' > '[stop previous sound]' and 'highlight click' if you want
4. copy/paste this shape to all the slides

then when the song is playing, you can stop it at any time by clicking that shape.

• JC49
  • Featured Contributor

• July 18, 2009, 08:41:03 am
    • PYEONTAEK,SOUTH KOREA
« Reply #124 on: August 31, 2011, 03:03:44 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEm7xAirAzU

Another video on  possessive pronouns from GOGO'S ENGLISH

« Reply #125 on: August 31, 2011, 11:53:58 pm »
An idea for a game I use was handing out to teams of 4 a menu food item. Then printing off a picture of that item. I chose one ss to be the waiter and they have to ask "Whose _______is this?". They hand out all the pictures to each team accordingly. Then I collect the pictures again. Another ss becomes the waiter and uses their memory and the phrase "Is this your __________?" and the ss reply, it's ours/it's mine and get points based on memory. It worked pretty well!

« Reply #126 on: September 01, 2011, 08:05:26 am »
"Heads up, 7 up" ppt game explaination.  It's pretty self-explainatory and you can adjust it to your class level.  (For example, you could have the class say "That's her pencil" as a group, etc.)

I'll be honest, the black bag game is probably better for getting each kid to practice.  But in a class of 40, Heads up 7 up is an easy way to maintain order while keeping the kids engaged - i loved this game as a kid.  Just make sure you don't let the kids give their pencils to the same people over and over.

• cestaley
  • Adventurer

• September 01, 2011, 09:34:54 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #127 on: September 01, 2011, 09:54:34 am »
Cheers for all these great ideas. I am definitely going to find them useful! I was also wondering if someone might explain how any type of bomb game works? Thanks!

• cgerdsen
  • Waygookin

• June 30, 2010, 01:00:10 pm
    • Gwangju, South Korean
« Reply #128 on: September 01, 2011, 10:02:05 am »
Powerpoints to accompany Look and Listen and Listen and Speak

Pass the ball game included to substitute for Let's Practice 1

• adamzero
  • Adventurer

• November 12, 2010, 08:05:44 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #129 on: September 01, 2011, 10:47:45 am »
Here's a worksheet to go with the Whose Dung is This? story.

It gets the kids to identify each dung, using the target language of the chapter.
Wow... I must be more conservative than I thought, because it seems like alot of teachers on this site feel it is professionally acceptable to spend a class talking about fecal matter (even when it is only tangentially related to the topic in the book).

I know kids love 'dung'/ '똥' humor, and it's good to make things your kids can relate to, but I don't agree with pandering to the lowest common denominator to get a laugh.  Young boys also love extreme, graphic violence... should we start showing 'Happy Tree Friends' and 'South Park' in class now, too?

I know... if I don't like what's here, I can ignore it and make something myself.  But if you start the semester (and, for many incoming GETs, your year) with 'Whose dung is this?', good luck getting your students to even remotely respect you as an adult or a teacher in the future.

EDIT: I asked my new co-teacher about this and, of course, she said "Oh, I used that last year!"  [Facepalm]  Oh, well.  I knew Korean standards of acceptible classroom material were different, but this one just strikes me as scatalogically gross.  I guess I'm just thinking from an American point of view- the principal would be getting some phonecalls from parents if an elementary school teacher in Ohio used 'Whose dung is this?'.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 11:40:48 am by adamzero »

« Reply #130 on: September 01, 2011, 12:30:18 pm »
Remember Mad Libs? I made this for part 4 of lesson 9, but I think it could be applied anytime.

The first page is the story, the 2nd page are the words they can choose from. So one student reads the words from page 2, the the other student chooses which word they want, then the other student writes it down in the story on page 1.  After they finish, the can read the funny story together.

• Jrong
  • The Legend

• April 28, 2011, 12:52:32 pm
    more
Simple, clean review-sheet for Lesson 9
« Reply #131 on: September 01, 2011, 01:53:31 pm »
Here's a "Review" worksheet I was asked to create for Lesson 9 (to be used as homework). I gave it a nice clean look since I feel that form is as important as function. The design's not anywhere near amazing but it's decent and at least it won't hurt my eyes when I hand these out.

Sections (A,B,C,D) get progressively "harder" (my students are low-level). I borrowed "B-2" from somewhere...enjoy.
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

• MrMaggot
  • Waygookin

• March 05, 2011, 10:04:06 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #132 on: September 01, 2011, 02:27:27 pm »
Here's a worksheet for this lesson. The main focus of this worksheet is on the possessive pronouns.

If anyone has another worksheet for this lesson for the next period, I would greatly appreciate if you could post it on here as I'm in need of a good worksheet. It would be even better still if the worksheet focuses on this/that & these/those.

Many thanks...

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• September 21, 2010, 10:28:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #133 on: September 01, 2011, 04:17:47 pm »
Word Search for Grade 5 Unit 9 Storytime

Introductory activity for Hamin's Songpyeong. Has a secret code for those who finish early in the leftover letters. I go through the word list first with the students and get them to underline/highlight each word in the passage too. Secret message is a recipe overview.

An equivalent activity exists for Grade 6.

Edit: Typos in the romanisation fixed, reuploaded.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 11:49:55 am by Paul »
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

• carrie72
  • Explorer

• September 01, 2011, 02:49:26 pm
    • Ulsan
« Reply #134 on: September 01, 2011, 05:27:22 pm »
That youtube video of the Korean man singing is hilarious!   Has anyone actually used it in class?  Do the kids like it?

• prospybite
  • Explorer

• June 17, 2011, 05:56:56 am
    • Minneapolis, MN
Re: Grade 5 Lesson 9
« Reply #135 on: September 02, 2011, 12:46:04 am »
Hey guys, finally looking to give back:

For 9.2 instead of singing, i am planning on doing the powerpoint attached and instead of the guessing game i'm going to do the ghostbusters game attached

9.3 instead of look and listen i'm going to do pass the ball, but they have to pass it left and right and whatever row the ball lands on that entire row has to say what's on the screen. i made a pretty lazy version as you will see after downloading the 1st ppt, but you can easily add in a couple other pics.

also, for 9.3 game i'm going to have 6 groups. each group puts 2 items (erasers, pencils, etc) into a bag. 1 student chooses 1 item out of the bag and asks "is this yours" to 3 groups. if he gets it right on the 1st try-9 points, 2nd try-6 points, 3rd try-3 points

for 9.4 game i'm doing a very similar game where 1 person leaves the room and an object is given to 1 person. when he comes back in he says "is this yours" and the entire class says "no it isn't". the louder they say "no it isn't" the closer he is to finding the object. i usually time it and the fastest team wins.

Your ghostbuster game is so well constructed. My lesson went well! Thanks a lot! ^^

• vbee
  • Explorer

• September 01, 2011, 03:21:07 pm
« Reply #136 on: September 02, 2011, 08:19:59 am »
I saw a posting regarding a game for 9.4, having one person leave the room and having them find the object. The finder have to ask the a person in the class "if this yours" and the class answer "no it isn't. " The louder the closer the person is to finding the person with the object.

I think this is a fun and interactive game for the whole class. I actually done a similiar version of this game in the classroom with preschoolers and they loved it.

• mchau87
  • Explorer

• March 07, 2011, 02:35:54 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #137 on: September 02, 2011, 08:39:09 am »
Here's a very memory game ppt for the writing portion of this unit. Students have to memorize what belongs to who for points and etc.

grace 5 chapter 9 Body template
« Reply #138 on: September 02, 2011, 08:49:33 am »
This template can be used for the exercise on page 111.

« Reply #139 on: September 02, 2011, 12:48:07 pm »
I took pictures of a few students at their desks in each of my classes.  Then I put those pictures in a power point with an arrow pointing at thier pencil, pencil case, book, notebook, or bottle.  When presenting the power point I ask them: "Whose pencil is this?" Then move to the slide with the picture -- They start laughing, because it's one of their classmates! -- Then I guide them to say "Its......so and so's pencil."