Read 2499 times

• absurdjoy
  • Adventurer

• November 25, 2010, 12:00:14 pm
    • Seoul
Afterschool class Payment
« on: April 22, 2011, 10:49:33 am »
For those of you who teach afterschool classes....

How often are you paid for these? Do they pay you on your regular payday or with a separate payment? Is it monthly, yearly, what?

I teach 6 afterschool classes a week which all qualify as overtime. I was told I would be paid the regular overtime payment for these classes so I assumed it would be on my monthly stub.  I understand now that these classes must come from a different budget and have to be approved each month. When I asked my head teacher when I could expect to be paid I got this message:

"hm mm ~~

The teacher  in charge is getting  a green light ,

I think  you  recieved your pay , next week ~

We  pay  you  once  per   four weeks,  from  3/21 to 4/15   

wait please~~  You'll  pay,  soon. "

Anyone had a similar experience? Also, is there a way to easily get a bank statement without actually having to go to the bank?

Re: Afterschool class Payment
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 10:56:54 am »
My experience is the same as above, I get paid when the term is finished. Our term is 10 classes, 2x a week, so every 5 or 6 weeks.

• centaurpede
  • Explorer

• September 08, 2010, 10:03:08 am
    • incheon, south korea
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 11:00:03 am »
I also teach 6 after school classes a week. I get my overtime pay same as you, once every four weeks or every 8 lessons. This is the same way I was paid last semester. From my understanding, it's pretty normal...either you get paid once every 4 weeks, or you get paid at the end of the semester. Personally, I prefer the regular payments.

• asabranca
  • Veteran

• October 05, 2010, 08:55:29 am
    • Gangwon-Do
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 11:06:19 am »
I was told that I will receive my money in as a lump sum in July.   ???

Does that sound normal to any of you?

• absurdjoy
  • Adventurer

• November 25, 2010, 12:00:14 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 11:06:58 am »
Thanks everyone. I've been told I might be paid on the 27th so heres hoping:)

• glb0b
  • Expert Waygook

• July 06, 2010, 03:02:56 pm
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 05:07:13 pm »
Yes, for overtime at my last school I got paid intermittently (when the co-teacher remembered to do the paperwork!), usually a month or two after the classes (so in July for May classes). At my current school it looks like I am going to be paid for each months classes shortly after the month is finished. Yeah!

And you can update your bank book using the ATM anytime so you don't have to go during banking hours. Put your bankbook in the machine and it will print all transactions for you.

• Taya
  • Veteran

• December 14, 2010, 07:59:09 am
    • Changwon, Korea
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 10:29:44 pm »
I was assuming I would get paid for my afterschool classes when I get paid on the 25th or whenever. If I'm not getting paid until the end of the term, I'll fight it. I really don't want to do these classes anyway.

• Taya
  • Veteran

• December 14, 2010, 07:59:09 am
    • Changwon, Korea
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 10:53:03 pm »
I was assuming I would get paid for my afterschool classes when I get paid on the 25th or whenever. If I'm not getting paid until the end of the term, I'll fight it. I really don't want to do these classes anyway.

What difference does it make? The Korean teachers probably get paid at the same time. If you don't want to do it, you don't have to.
I was never asked if I wanted to do the afterschool classes. They just said "your afterschool conversation classes start next week. Have fun." I was afraid to rock the boat by refusing and figured if it gets me some extra cash I might as well do it.

The main reason is that I likely won't stay until the end of the term.

• Khuli
  • Explorer

• June 09, 2010, 07:14:36 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 01:39:42 pm »
Wow..thats a lot of afterschool that you got going on! It depends from school to school. The money does def come from a different budget. I get paid at the end of every month....roughly 3days after pay day.
A friend of mine only gets paid at the end of her contract...so she will be receiving a cool 2MKRW