Read 286041 times

• SnackySnack
  • Veteran

• October 15, 2013, 07:46:34 am
    more
Re: What Books are you reading???? just curious!
« Reply #980 on: July 07, 2017, 09:12:14 am »
Not in order of importance:
1. Improv Wisdom: Don't Prepare, Just Show Up by Patricia Ryan Madson
2.  The Compound Effect by Darren Hardy
3. Lean for Life by Louise Parker
4. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (re-reading)
5. Maid for Love by Marie Force  (re-reading)
6. Everybody Yoga by Jessamyn Stanley
Save 5% off your next iherb order! (New and returning customers^^) https://iherb.co/2pwkd6cb

• denimdaze
  • Expert Waygook

• December 30, 2010, 04:46:58 pm
    • USA
« Reply #981 on: August 10, 2017, 08:51:20 am »
I'm expecting a delivery of books today.  Among them are Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury, and A Climate of Fear by Fred Vargas. 

• CJ
  • Super Waygook

• November 15, 2010, 08:11:00 am
    • Down south
« Reply #982 on: August 10, 2017, 09:06:53 am »
I've got two on the go depending on my mood:

A Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde

The Moaning of Life - Karl Pilkington

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #983 on: August 10, 2017, 11:18:49 am »
Tad Williams -- he dude who more or less invented the gritty/realistic fantasy genre and who writers like George Martin, Joe Ambercrombie, Patrick Rothfuss, etc credit as their source of inspiration -- has finally released a sequel to the Memory, Sorrow, Thorn trilogy that he wrote nearly 20 years ago. They were awesome books, and really helped transition me away from those insipid Drangonlance books (sorry tanis62458) to quality literature.

So yeah, I'll be reading The Witchwood Crown after I finish up the the last of those The Expanse novellas (Strange Dogs was my favourite of the bunch. Very dark.)

Daniel Suarez - Daemon and Freedom
Peter Watts - Rifter's trilogy and Blindsight
Richard Russo - Ship of Fools
John Steakley - Armor
Arthur C. Clarke - Childhood's End
Cixin Liu - The Three Body Problem trilogy
Alfred Bester - The Stars My Destination
Linda Nagata - The Bohr Maker
Robert Reed - Marrow
Alastair Reynolds - Pushing Ice
Peter F. Hamilton - Chronicle of the Fallers

That's an awesome list! I've read quite a few from it. I especially enjoyed the stuff by Peter Watts: as you said, he's very technical and darkbut his books are still full of interesting ideas and philosophical exploration.

That other Peter guy I could never get into. I really tried, but many of his characters all come across as incredibly sappy to me.  :sad:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 01:37:14 pm by kyndo »

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• September 16, 2015, 02:23:16 am
    • Korealand
« Reply #984 on: August 31, 2017, 09:48:16 am »
Lol feels like everyone's reading intellectual fare while I just ordered some old Nintendo (Choose your own) Adventure books off of Ebay.  Something reminded me that these existed when I was a kid and I'm indulging in the nostalgia.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #985 on: August 31, 2017, 10:05:42 am »
Not a massive book reader but have been really enjoying The Angry Chef.

He has a website, http://angry-chef.com/ where he exposes the nonsense of pseudoscience with food and health blogs.  All the nonsense of detoxing, Paleodiets, myths about the dangers of sugar, alkaline diets, 'clean eating' is a particular massive pile of bollocks, gluten-free diets, his massive distaste for the horsecrap that Gwyneth Paltrow and her goop website display, and most importantly, antioxidants. 

I just finished the very emotive chapter about cancer and the Gerson Therapy and how these diets are making millions of dollars off people who are dying, by luring them to these restrictive diets.  When really the best thing cancer sufferers can do is to keep eating normally.  Scientifically, there are no restrictive diets that help you fight cancer.  He goes into great detail about how these 'restrictive diets' are making people very rich when they are essentially nonsense and usually based on nothing. 

All very interesting.

Cue #basedcowboyshirt turning into just #basedcowboy

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #986 on: August 31, 2017, 10:39:34 am »
The Stone Raft. it's incredible reading. It's rare to read so much detail that is interesting and most importantly the sentences flow on and on. The premise may seem like fantasy: the Iberian peninsula slowly breaks away from mainland Europe but it reads more like a realistic portrayal of human nature in the face of a geological event. I think it'd make a good film, especially with all the relationships between events and people being represented by cutaways in a movie, but the beauty of the writing style of Saramago would be lost. The Spanish vs. French perspectives are funny!

« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 10:41:32 am by VanIslander »

• Lurch
  • Expert Waygook

• September 05, 2011, 08:31:17 am
    • Chungju
« Reply #987 on: August 31, 2017, 11:54:04 am »
Re-reading Neal Asher's Polity books. They're something like James Bond in space with horror trappings. I read them a long time ago, but had a hankering to put myself through it all again before getting into his new trilogy.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #988 on: August 31, 2017, 12:06:02 pm »
Finished Down and Out in PAris and London (Orwell) and a book on Canadian history over the vacation.

I thought it was fascinating about being poor, that it wasn't the hunger, or the desperation or need of shelter. Orwell said it was the boredom. There is simply nothing to do for 12 hours a day except wait for the next shelter to open up.

I just started Purity by Johnathan Franzen. I loved Corrections and Freedom. Looking forward to this one.

I bought Lolita and The Brothers Karamazov too.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• travelinpantsgirl
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #989 on: September 19, 2017, 01:57:40 pm »
Actually my advanced students have to read novels in my yuhak classes so I am reading:
Slaughter House Five...weird book...lol
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #990 on: September 19, 2017, 02:23:36 pm »
Actually my advanced students have to read novels in my yuhak classes so I am reading:
the Tralfamadorians are the best bit

• travelinpantsgirl
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #991 on: September 19, 2017, 02:25:42 pm »
We've just barely gotten into that part...we'll see how it goes. 
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• September 16, 2015, 02:23:16 am
    • Korealand
« Reply #992 on: September 19, 2017, 02:34:18 pm »

I rather enjoyed that book. Need to read some more Kurt Vonnegut. He also had a pretty funny lecture on the shapes of stories.

• denimdaze
  • Expert Waygook

• USA
« Reply #993 on: January 03, 2018, 03:11:06 pm »
I just finished Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. 

I've already watched parts of the movie.  I liked the book better.

It would be a good read for a book club or discussion.

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #994 on: January 03, 2018, 03:22:29 pm »
on book one of the Wheel of Time series. it's massive. only 10 books to go. decent enough so far though

anyone read em?

I read the first one and really enjoyed it but never got further in the series. It's a monumental undertaking.  From the research I've done, you're in for a real slog from books 7-11.  He's quite verbose and then he died before he could finish so Brandon Sanderson wrote the last few books I believe.  Also there are 14 books! That's gonna take a while.
i agree. 7-11 were....good (except the book without Mat, which was painful), but i was trying to get through them so i could read sanderson's books. wow! those last three were great- especially the last one! overall it's still a great series and still found myself wanting more

spaeking of sanderson, i'm currently reading stomlight 3. great stuff so far (i love this series)

• denimdaze
  • Expert Waygook

• USA
« Reply #995 on: February 08, 2018, 10:48:19 am »
I just finished "The High Window" by Raymond Chandler.  It features the detective Philip Marlowe.

Next up is "Y is for Yesterday" by Sue Grafton.  I was sorry to hear of her death, and that there won't be a Z book.

• HaLo3
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 02, 2014, 08:19:08 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #996 on: February 09, 2018, 09:09:49 am »
I just finished the Tearling series and am starting on The Art of Racing in the Rain.

• Godot
  • Explorer

• March 02, 2017, 08:33:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #997 on: February 09, 2018, 12:23:50 pm »

I rather enjoyed that book. Need to read some more Kurt Vonnegut. He also had a pretty funny lecture on the shapes of stories.

Try Breakfast of Champions. 

• shostager
  • Super Waygook

• November 06, 2012, 06:08:10 am
« Reply #998 on: February 27, 2018, 01:32:00 pm »
Just started reading "Monkey: A Folk Novel Of China", but its original translated name is "Journey to the West." I got into it because my boyfriend and I started watching "Korean Odyssey" on Netflix, and he told me that the show, as well as Dragonball Z (where he gets most of his knowledge of this story from), are based on that novel.

Loosely based, as far as I can tell, but I've only gotten about a quarter of the way through it, and this translator cut out a lot (each chapter is fairly episodic, apparently).

Also kind of interested in trying The Three Kingdoms, but last time I did that, the one I found was really really dense. Is that how it always is?

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #999 on: February 27, 2018, 01:34:42 pm »
I'm about halfway through 12 Rules for Life and I'm thoroughly enjoying it, for a strange reason though.

It's making me really mad at myself. I have a lot of potential but I take the easy way out every time. I'm a good person but I don't do the right thing. I'm well liked but I don't really like myself too much.

It's not about punishing yourself. It's about getting better. And I will.

Also wanna read The Subtle Art of Not Giving a ****.
The joys of fauxtherhood