Read 286065 times

• hangyul
  • Adventurer

• March 22, 2017, 10:42:38 am
    • Gyeonggi-do South Korea
Re: What Books are you reading???? just curious!
« Reply #960 on: March 29, 2017, 12:52:59 pm »
I've read Nine Coaches Waiting by Mary Stewart.  I guess you could call it gothic suspense.  I've ordered a few more of her books.

What website do you use to order books?

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• September 16, 2015, 02:23:16 am
    • Korealand
« Reply #961 on: March 29, 2017, 01:06:46 pm »
I know it's not ideal for everyone (I prefer hard copies of books myself), but if you have a card for a public library back home (or if you've someone back home with whom you can share), it's possible you have access to OverDrive. 

I've found OverDrive to be a pretty great resource for ebooks, audiobooks, and even some graphic novels (the selection will depend upon your library).  It's been a boon while living in Korealand. 

« Reply #962 on: March 29, 2017, 01:17:21 pm »
I've read Nine Coaches Waiting by Mary Stewart.  I guess you could call it gothic suspense.  I've ordered a few more of her books.

What website do you use to order books?

I don't know about those books but I use book depository to order books - shipping is free.  It's now owned by Amazon but the prices are often better than on the amazon site, mostly because of the shipping costs.  I also check What the Book to compare prices, and sometimes they are cheaper and still free shipping.

« Reply #963 on: March 30, 2017, 07:26:10 am »
on book one of the Wheel of Time series. it's massive. only 10 books to go. decent enough so far though

anyone read em?

I read the first one and really enjoyed it but never got further in the series. It's a monumental undertaking.  From the research I've done, you're in for a real slog from books 7-11.  He's quite verbose and then he died before he could finish so Brandon Sanderson wrote the last few books I believe.  Also there are 14 books! That's gonna take a while.

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #964 on: March 30, 2017, 08:02:48 am »
I've heard. I really like Sanderson though, and I've read everything else by him.

On the third book currently and still really enjoy it

« Reply #965 on: March 30, 2017, 08:08:03 am »
"Zombies and Shit," by Carlton Mellick III.

I don't usually like his stuff, but I like this. Mostly because Mr. T is in it.

• VXRider
  • Adventurer

• March 29, 2017, 08:36:23 am
    • San Diego CA
« Reply #966 on: March 30, 2017, 09:07:05 am »
Hey there everyone.
I'm currently reading "Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus".
This book totally rocks.
I'm almost done reading this. Can anyone suggest a good book? :)

• HaLo3
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 02, 2014, 08:19:08 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #967 on: March 30, 2017, 09:12:31 am »
on book one of the Wheel of Time series. it's massive. only 10 books to go. decent enough so far though

anyone read em?

I read the first one and really enjoyed it but never got further in the series. It's a monumental undertaking.  From the research I've done, you're in for a real slog from books 7-11.  He's quite verbose and then he died before he could finish so Brandon Sanderson wrote the last few books I believe.  Also there are 14 books! That's gonna take a while.
Are there 14? I thought there were only 13.

I started reading them back in college, and I loved them. I read the first 4 pretty quickly, then started alternating. One WoT then one other book. But oglop is right, it gets rough towards the end. I still haven't finished. I plan on it sometime, but my book clubs keep me busy, and some of the characters are just so hard to read through now.

Right now I'm reading the Brief but Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao.

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #968 on: March 30, 2017, 10:04:56 am »
there's 13 books, and one prequel

• HaLo3
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #969 on: March 30, 2017, 10:36:37 am »
there's 13 books, and one prequel
Ohhh, ok. That's right, I forgot about the prequel.

• Loki88
  • Expert Waygook

• July 25, 2014, 08:41:07 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #970 on: March 30, 2017, 11:08:23 am »

anyone read em?

I started reading them back in college, and I loved them. I read the first 4 pretty quickly, then started alternating. One WoT then one other book. But oglop is right, it gets rough towards the end. I still haven't finished. I plan on it sometime, but my book clubs keep me busy, and some of the characters are just so hard to read through now.

I've finished WoT. Great books, solid ending. The author passed away and someone else finished the series (last 3?) and frankly I think he was a better writer. There was a point in the middle where it go a bit repetitive.

• HaLo3
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #971 on: March 30, 2017, 12:01:29 pm »

anyone read em?

I've finished WoT. Great books, solid ending. The author passed away and someone else finished the series (last 3?) and frankly I think he was a better writer. There was a point in the middle where it go a bit repetitive.
Yeah, I got to maybe... 10 I think and thats when I took a break. So close but so far. But you have given me hope! I'll have to pick it back up again when I finish these next couple of books. I thought the new author had only written the last one fully and half of the 12th. Buuuut again, it's been a while and I don't know for sure.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #972 on: March 30, 2017, 12:05:25 pm »
Re-reading Catcher in the Rye. Cliche, yes, but dammit it's a fine work or art. I read it every couple of years.
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #973 on: March 30, 2017, 12:09:58 pm »

anyone read em?

How is Oscar Wao ? I've put it on my 'to read' list from the title alone -- that's a damn good title.

Edit: I forgot to say what I've been reading.  Right now, it's Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World while holding out hope that I can work up the courage to finish 100 Years of Solitude (So boring for me, which is a disappointment because I really enjoy magical realism and the book is considered a classic).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 12:11:57 pm by turningsteel »

• denimdaze
  • Expert Waygook

• December 30, 2010, 04:46:58 pm
    • USA
« Reply #974 on: June 29, 2017, 02:24:35 pm »
I'm currently reading The Moonspinnersby Mary Stewart. 

It's set in Greece, and was made into a movie by Disney in 1964.

I've read mixed reviews about the movie, but I plan to watch it after I finish the book.

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #975 on: June 29, 2017, 04:40:45 pm »
I'm currently reading The Moonspinnersby Mary Stewart. 

It's set in Greece, and was made into a movie by Disney in 1964.

I've read mixed reviews about the movie, but I plan to watch it after I finish the book.

I saw that movie (rented it from Netflix a long time ago) although I don't really remember the plot. Also, I never knew it was originally a book.

• Tony Teacher
  • Veteran

• April 26, 2012, 10:10:52 am
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #976 on: June 29, 2017, 05:37:28 pm »
I'm reading "Tools of Titans" by Tim Ferriss. The book has a lot of good information and advice for entrepreneurs or people looking to develop themselves.
Business Consultant and Coach at www.entrepreneurkorea.com and www.hagwonstart.com

• kengreen
  • Expert Waygook

• July 03, 2013, 11:30:02 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #977 on: June 29, 2017, 07:38:19 pm »
I'm reading Volume 2 of A Marginal Jew. And it's fan-freaking-tastic. I recommend the tome to everybody.

• HaLo3
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #978 on: June 30, 2017, 09:10:24 am »

anyone read em?

How is Oscar Wao ? I've put it on my 'to read' list from the title alone -- that's a damn good title.

Edit: I forgot to say what I've been reading.  Right now, it's Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World while holding out hope that I can work up the courage to finish 100 Years of Solitude (So boring for me, which is a disappointment because I really enjoy magical realism and the book is considered a classic).
Missed this! Honestly, I was not a fan of Oscar Wao. It has so many awards and things, but... it would be a skip it from me. I was the only one in my club who actually finished it.

• Lurch
  • Expert Waygook

• September 05, 2011, 08:31:17 am
    • Chungju
« Reply #979 on: July 07, 2017, 08:47:59 am »
I don't even know where to begin. Since the last time I posted here, I've read:

• Daniel Suarez - Daemon and Freedom
  • Peter Watts - Rifter's trilogy and Blindsight
  • Richard Russo - Ship of Fools
  • John Steakley - Armor
  • Arthur C. Clarke - Childhood's End
  • Cixin Liu - The Three Body Problem trilogy
  • Alfred Bester - The Stars My Destination
  • Linda Nagata - The Bohr Maker
  • Robert Reed - Marrow
  • Alastair Reynolds - Pushing Ice

That's fifteen books in total. All sci-fi. Childhood's End and The Stars My Destination are classics of the genre for a reason and despite coming from the same period, are completely different and both worth reading. The Suarez books are modern Hollywood action movie in print format. Peter Watts is a very technical, very depressing writer. Blindsight is brilliant and dark, so very dark. Three Body Problem trilogy has some slow and outright terrible bits, but is overall pretty great. The rest are a mixture of stuff I thought would be OK, and all were. Pushing Ice might be my favorite, but it has a lot of problems. Reynolds really doesn't know how to end a story properly.

I've started Peter F. Hamilton's Chronicle of the Fallers duology and am enjoying it a lot.