Read 286085 times

Re: What Books are you reading???? just curious!
« Reply #940 on: January 31, 2017, 03:13:33 pm »
Joe Abercrombie. "First Law Trilogy"

« Reply #941 on: January 31, 2017, 03:39:40 pm »
'The Art of the Deal'

By some guy

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #942 on: January 31, 2017, 04:05:37 pm »
I gave up on both The Dark Tower and The Expanse series. The former suffers from a terrible finale (the last three books even) and the latter suffers from it-became-popular-so-it's-never-going-to-end-itosis a la GRRM.

The Expanse isn't finished yet though, so it has a chance to get back on track. That first book was pretty great.
It's Ironic that the "Expanse" series is following the same pattern as the "A Song of Fire and Ice" series, considering that the former is written by the editor and assistant of the latter.   :lipsrsealed:

i actually just finished reading all of the released books The Expanse series. good reads if for those that like sci-fi

from doing a bit of research, they seem to be consistent and release one a year, so it doesn't look like it 'will do a GRRM'

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #943 on: January 31, 2017, 06:51:12 pm »
I gave up on both The Dark Tower and The Expanse series. The former suffers from a terrible finale (the last three books even) and the latter suffers from it-became-popular-so-it's-never-going-to-end-itosis a la GRRM.

The Expanse isn't finished yet though, so it has a chance to get back on track. That first book was pretty great.
It's Ironic that the "Expanse" series is following the same pattern as the "A Song of Fire and Ice" series, considering that the former is written by the editor and assistant of the latter.   :lipsrsealed:

i actually just finished reading all of the released books The Expanse series. good reads if for those that like sci-fi

from doing a bit of research, they seem to be consistent and release one a year, so it doesn't look like it 'will do a GRRM'
Some of the recently released short stories in the Expanse series are also really good!  :smiley:

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Seoul
« Reply #944 on: January 31, 2017, 07:41:07 pm »
thanks for the suggestion!

anyone seen the tv show?

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul

• Skyehawks
  • Featured Contributor

• January 29, 2016, 08:36:35 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #946 on: February 01, 2017, 12:29:32 pm »
To be honest I have read about a hundred books since December 1st. Granted some of the books I shall not say what they are about as my school knows I use waygook. But for the others I have been reading a mixture of YA fiction and paranormal fantasy/romance. Amazon Kindle for the win. If you would like a complete list, feel free to PM me and I can recommend about 20 books at least to start with.

• Loki88
  • Expert Waygook

• July 25, 2014, 08:41:07 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #947 on: February 01, 2017, 12:33:33 pm »

Some of the recently released short stories in the Expanse series are also really good!  :smiley:

Thank you. I didn't know these existed. Gonna buy em all tonight.
The Expanse is an awesome series.

« Reply #948 on: February 01, 2017, 01:41:40 pm »
thanks for the suggestion!

anyone seen the tv show?

TV show is great - bit of a slow burner I thought - took me a few eps to get into it, but it's good.  Looking forward to the next season.  Perhaps I should look at the books too

• ksmtw
  • Newgookin

• February 07, 2017, 09:02:39 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #949 on: February 12, 2017, 10:13:15 pm »
One of my favorites I read recently was The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender.

• Lurch
  • Expert Waygook

• September 05, 2011, 08:31:17 am
    • Chungju
« Reply #950 on: February 13, 2017, 08:31:01 am »
I'm reading Discworld in order of publication. All of it. I've ready maybe a half dozen of them over the years, but completely forget which.

I'm up to the tenth book: Moving Pictures. It's really making me reconsider reading them all back to back. It's the longest so far, and the first that I feel falls flat. It's an overt parody of the movie industry and Hollywood in general and feels unfortunately shoehorned into Pratchett's Discworld. It still has its moments, but it's the weakest book yet by a wide margin. Especially disappointing after Guards! Guards! which was one of the best. (Eric only half counts it being so short and illustrated and all.)

• hippo
  • Veteran

• July 16, 2011, 11:28:36 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #951 on: March 07, 2017, 06:19:51 pm »
Insane Clown President by Matt Taiibi

« Reply #952 on: March 07, 2017, 07:19:58 pm »
Just started reading The Leftovers by Tom Perrotta. Series three of the tv show starts soon I think. I'm obsessed with it!

« Reply #953 on: March 07, 2017, 08:22:32 pm »

Pleasantly surprised to see that, not that I've read it but I enjoy Matt's writing generally. Haven't really heard of him outside of Twitter before.

As for me I've been slowly getting through Half of a Yellow Sun, a very old book called 'Through African Eyes' and a tiny little book about the French Revolution by Eric Hobsbawm.

Next up will be a brilliant little book I found in a second hand shop in England, which is about the history of every letter of the alphabet.

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Seoul
« Reply #954 on: March 07, 2017, 08:23:23 pm »
on book one of the Wheel of Time series. it's massive. only 10 books to go. decent enough so far though

anyone read em?

• hippo
  • Veteran

• July 16, 2011, 11:28:36 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #955 on: March 07, 2017, 09:53:27 pm »

Pleasantly surprised to see that, not that I've read it but I enjoy Matt's writing generally. Haven't really heard of him outside of Twitter before.

As for me I've been slowly getting through Half of a Yellow Sun, a very old book called 'Through African Eyes' and a tiny little book about the French Revolution by Eric Hobsbawm.

Next up will be a brilliant little book I found in a second hand shop in England, which is about the history of every letter of the alphabet.

I love Hobsbawn.  It's been awhile since I read anything by him but I read his accounts  of world history initially for college but then just for fun.  You know you have to be a damn goodhistorian to be respected across so much of the political spectrum while being a literal card carrying member of the Communist Party through 1991.   Are you talking about the Age of Revolution? 

« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 10:24:18 pm by hippo »

« Reply #956 on: March 07, 2017, 10:15:49 pm »
I love Hobsbawn.  It's been awhile since I read anything by him but I read his accounts  of world history initially for college but then just for fun.  You know you have to be a damn historian to be respected across so much of the political spectrum while being a literal card carrying member of the Communist Party through 1991.   Are you talking about the Age of Revolution?

He came up a few times during my uni studies but, for shame, I really barely took any of that seriously until my final year so I didn't develop any great feeling for his writing at the time. I've checked & you are right - this is a strange little Phoenix booklet literally just called The French Revolution, but it's an excerpt of 23 pages from The Age of Revolution.

The only writer I really came away from my studies with a particular love for was an Iranian guy named Hamid Dabashi.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #957 on: March 08, 2017, 09:54:39 am »
Does it include the letters that have recently (ish) been dropped from the alphabet?
I miss ampersand.  :sad:

• denimdaze
  • Expert Waygook

• December 30, 2010, 04:46:58 pm
    • USA
« Reply #958 on: March 29, 2017, 12:01:32 pm »
I've read Nine Coaches Waiting by Mary Stewart.  I guess you could call it gothic suspense.  I've ordered a few more of her books. 

• alexrathy
  • Adventurer

• August 28, 2009, 01:39:22 pm
    • Suncheon
« Reply #959 on: March 29, 2017, 12:51:22 pm »
Tackling "London Fields" by Martin Amis at the moment. About 100 pages in and it's been really really good.