Read 286049 times

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Re: What Books are you reading???? just curious!
« Reply #900 on: July 20, 2016, 09:39:17 am »

Also just finished Patrick Rothfuss' "A Wise Man's Fear" (sequel to "The Name of the Wind"). A well written, vaguely dark fantasy. Good stuff. Would recommend.
yep, this got me into Brandon Sanderson. really enjoyed the Mistborn series and his Stormlight series is really good too

« Reply #901 on: July 20, 2016, 11:37:00 am »
Currently trying to finish all of Haruki Murakami's works.  Currently trying to choose between Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World and Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage.

Murakami is great. Dance, Dance, Dance / Colourless / Kafka on the Shore are my favourites.

I am reading Mao II right now by Don DeLillo. I'm enjoying it and it references Korea

Yes!  Kafka is my second favorite so far.  1Q84 is my favorite.  I've also read After Dark and Norwegian Wood

• klx001
  • Adventurer

• February 05, 2016, 02:59:21 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #902 on: July 20, 2016, 02:51:17 pm »
I was discussing Gone Girl with one of my co-teachers and bemoaning the lack of literature in my life at the moment, and the next day she came to school with some similar books for me to borrow  ;D They're mostly beach-read types but one of the quickest ways to my heart is to buy me a book so I was really touched.

So right now I'm reading The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty.

oh! I read that!! It's interesting how they tied all the characters together.. but i was really just interested in the hubby's secret and kept getting frustrated when the chapter would end and I didn't know what it was yet. lol. took a lot of will power to not just jump forward to find out. lol
idk tho.

« Reply #903 on: July 20, 2016, 02:56:07 pm »
Dante's Inferno - it's a hell of a book.

• Lurch
  • Expert Waygook

• September 05, 2011, 08:31:17 am
    • Chungju
« Reply #904 on: August 31, 2016, 12:42:01 pm »
Reading the Witcher books. They're surprisingly well done for a universe better known for its video games. Maybe I'll get around to playing those sometime too.

« Reply #905 on: August 31, 2016, 01:48:16 pm »
I just finished the second book in The Southern Reach trilogy (Annihilation, Authority, Acceptance) by Jeff VanderMeer. It's a strange but well-written series about an area of land in a remote corner of the USA which has been quarantined by the government, ostensibly due to an unspecified environmental disaster. Each book (so far) is written from a different character's perspective. Book one: a civilian biologist employed to be part of an expedition to the area, book 2: the director of the agency in charge of investigating the area, book 3: ?

I'm hoping for a strong finish because the character development is strong and I'm really invested in their outcomes. There's enough mystery that I really have no idea how it will conclude. One of the things I'm really enjoying is that you don't know more than the characters. You can only see what they see. It's more eerie than action-packed but there's been a couple of moments of genuine horror.

• gnomon
  • Veteran

• February 05, 2014, 01:24:34 pm
    • Gunpo
« Reply #906 on: August 31, 2016, 02:29:49 pm »
I just finished the second book in The Southern Reach trilogy (Annihilation, Authority, Acceptance) by Jeff VanderMeer. It's a strange but well-written series about an area of land in a remote corner of the USA which has been quarantined by the government, ostensibly due to an unspecified environmental disaster. Each book (so far) is written from a different character's perspective. Book one: a civilian biologist employed to be part of an expedition to the area, book 2: the director of the agency in charge of investigating the area, book 3: ?

I'm hoping for a strong finish because the character development is strong and I'm really invested in their outcomes. There's enough mystery that I really have no idea how it will conclude. One of the things I'm really enjoying is that you don't know more than the characters. You can only see what they see. It's more eerie than action-packed but there's been a couple of moments of genuine horror.

I just read Annihilation last month. I liked it and look forward to book 2 (but come on, biologist, that's not a tower, it's a tunnel.)

« Reply #907 on: August 31, 2016, 02:34:37 pm »

I just read Annihilation last month. I liked it and look forward to book 2 (but come on, biologist, that's not a tower, it's a tunnel.)

The biologist doesn't care what you think, and that's why I love her  ;D

• denimdaze
  • Expert Waygook

• December 30, 2010, 04:46:58 pm
    • USA
« Reply #908 on: September 14, 2016, 08:53:14 pm »
Go Down, Moses by William Faulkner. 

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #909 on: September 14, 2016, 09:30:02 pm »
the dark tower series by stephen king is really great

• fishead
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 23, 2010, 07:58:05 am
    • Yangju Korea
« Reply #910 on: September 15, 2016, 12:14:01 pm »
The Little Red Book
Selected Quotes from Chairman Mao

• kengreen
  • Expert Waygook

• July 03, 2013, 11:30:02 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #911 on: September 15, 2016, 12:55:16 pm »
I've been watching Narcos. It's great.

« Reply #912 on: September 15, 2016, 03:41:30 pm »
The Automatic Detective, by A. Lee Martinez.

Good stuff.

• kengreen
  • Expert Waygook

• July 03, 2013, 11:30:02 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #913 on: September 15, 2016, 04:48:03 pm »
I've been reading a lot of stuff by Conn Iggulden. I'm currently on his Wars of the Roses series. I like historical fiction.

• denimdaze
  • Expert Waygook

• December 30, 2010, 04:46:58 pm
    • USA
« Reply #914 on: October 14, 2016, 08:17:00 am »
Dante's Inferno - it's a hell of a book.
I see what you did there.   :wink:

• HaLo3
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 02, 2014, 08:19:08 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #915 on: October 14, 2016, 08:21:34 am »
I just finished The Old Man Who Jumped Out of the Window and the first two books in the Cemetery of Forgotten Books series. And I am starting Wolf by Wolf now.

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• September 16, 2015, 02:23:16 am
    • Korealand
« Reply #916 on: October 14, 2016, 08:35:05 am »
I'm on the last Harry Potter audiobook. Great stuff.

• HaLo3
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 02, 2014, 08:19:08 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #917 on: October 14, 2016, 08:37:39 am »
I'm on the last Harry Potter audiobook. Great stuff.
Never done an audiobook, but yes they are.

• Whatgook
  • Super Waygook

• October 06, 2015, 11:46:12 am
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #918 on: October 14, 2016, 08:41:28 am »
Just finished Stephen King's 'under the Dome', great book, i wasn't keen on the ending. Now reading "Ready player one', so far superb!

• DeaneJames
  • Adventurer

• March 02, 2016, 10:41:26 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #919 on: October 14, 2016, 08:58:51 am »
Im on a Brandon Sanderson binge at the moment, busy reading Elantris.