Read 286061 times

Re: What Books are you reading???? just curious!
« Reply #720 on: April 18, 2013, 08:16:06 am »
Just finished romance of the three kingdoms! next is ... "built to last" ~~~

« Reply #721 on: April 18, 2013, 08:23:25 am »
I'm reading The Singular Mark Twain, a biography. Before that was a trio of Haruki Murakami novels. Next... No idea. :huh:

• BTeacher
  • Expert Waygook

• May 26, 2012, 07:21:01 am
« Reply #722 on: April 26, 2013, 01:49:09 pm »
I'm reading through River of Gods by Ian McDonald. It's over 500 pages and taking forever. I keep falling asleep after reading only a page or two. Not that it's particularly boring or anything; I just read late, and in bed, so it's a bad habit I've developed.

It has moments of brilliance, but I can't quite recommend it over some other modern sci-fi I've read recently. It has a lot of characters and is a bit hard to know what is going on all the time. (Though I'm sure my fragmented reading of it hasn't helped in that regard either.) I'll reserve my final judgement of it until I finish, but right now, I'd recommend Neuromancer or Perdido Street Station long before River of Gods.

• flasyb
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 30, 2010, 12:10:03 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #723 on: April 27, 2013, 12:05:17 am »
Going to have to recommendBad Science again, even though I'm only 50% done. It mops the floor with a lot of false nutritional claims, some that I believed for years and that many people (likely iherb frequent customers) still do.

It's... it's just an all around assassination of bad studies and correlations, whether its about homeopathy, naturopathy, vitamin pills, antioxidants, big pharma...

The chapter on the placebo effect has made me want to reconsider medical school, too.

Brilliant book!

A must for anyone who doesn't understand basic scientific principles and how they're applied (or should be) but also a nice bit of reinforcement for those who do.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

« Reply #724 on: May 07, 2013, 10:14:46 am »
I just finished, or rather caught up to the present point in the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin. I read through A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons both at the same time, following the reading list here: http://boiledleather.com/post/25902554148/a-new-reader-friendly-combined-reading-order-for-a

The pacing was much better this way than reading the books in the published order, because there were no very long stretches between POV characters. Anyway, I'm very happy that I'm finished, because there are so many dang spoilers all over the interwebs about this grand story.

Next off the shelf will be Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House.
Dropbox is the BEST way to coordinate files between home and school. Click here to get it --> https://db.tt/JSMXsrdm

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
« Reply #725 on: May 08, 2013, 09:07:44 am »
it took me a while, but i finally finished 1Q84. i liked the ending.

i read tina fey's "bossypants" right after, as a change of style. that was a nice quick read - very funny!

just finished "a game of thrones" last week. i'm going to wait a few weeks before i start "a clash of kings" because i want to pace myself with the books, otherwise it'll all bleed together. plus i want to wait until the current season is finished.

so to fill time, i'm reading "i am number four" which is so light and vapid... just filling time. the story is interesting though.

i'm really looking forward to dan brown's new book "inferno". i read the "the lost symbol" last year and really enjoyed it.
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

« Reply #726 on: May 10, 2013, 12:59:24 pm »
just finished "a game of thrones" last week. i'm going to wait a few weeks before i start "a clash of kings" because i want to pace myself with the books, otherwise it'll all bleed together. plus i want to wait until the current season is finished.

Yeah, I've only just read all the Game of Thrones books for the first time myself. Actually, I found that A Clash of Kings was the most difficult to slog through for some reason -- perhaps because I had just finished the TV series. The story really picks up in A Storm of Swords, which is what the current TV season is based on. I really would recommend reading A Feast for Crows and A Dance of Dragons both together though, because otherwise it's like reading half a story. I'm actually more excited about where the story is going than where it has been, so I hope that more reading material comes out before the TV series catches up to the book's present time.
Dropbox is the BEST way to coordinate files between home and school. Click here to get it --> https://db.tt/JSMXsrdm

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• daejeon
« Reply #727 on: May 12, 2013, 09:57:53 am »

Yeah, I've only just read all the Game of Thrones books for the first time myself. Actually, I found that A Clash of Kings was the most difficult to slog through for some reason -- perhaps because I had just finished the TV series. The story really picks up in A Storm of Swords, which is what the current TV season is based on. I really would recommend reading A Feast for Crows and A Dance of Dragons both together though, because otherwise it's like reading half a story. I'm actually more excited about where the story is going than where it has been, so I hope that more reading material comes out before the TV series catches up to the book's present time.

I had a look at the site you posted, and the combined reading method looks like it's miles better. is it okay for a first-timer?

« Reply #728 on: May 13, 2013, 04:15:49 pm »

I had a look at the site you posted, and the combined reading method looks like it's miles better. is it okay for a first-timer?

Yes, it is fine for a first-timer, but make sure you follow the 'new reader-friendly combined reading order' to avoid certain spoilers.

« Reply #729 on: May 14, 2013, 12:13:59 pm »
I recently read "I, Robot" by Issac Asimov - (it's a collection of short stories and not a full length novel). Really interesting and forward thinking.

I just finished "Escape from Camp 14" which is by Blaine Harden. It's extremely fascinating story about a man who was born in a North Korean prison camp and his life growing up there.

I'm in a book club and our next book is my choice "The Casual Vacancy" by JK Rowling.  I'm not very good about reading outside my comfort zone so the book club is going to be a good challenge for me! So far, every book has fallen into it! (both books above are book club books, we limit to around 500 pages)

I also have a few other books lined up to read - "A Thousand Splendid Suns" and the first "Game of Thrones"  book.

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• daejeon
« Reply #730 on: May 15, 2013, 10:43:15 am »

Yes, it is fine for a first-timer, but make sure you follow the 'new reader-friendly combined reading order' to avoid certain spoilers.

awesome, thanks! it'll be a while before i get there though, so i will bookmark it until then!

« Reply #731 on: May 16, 2013, 10:24:28 am »

• snowpony
  • Newgookin

• August 06, 2012, 01:12:00 am
    • Ulsan, South Korea
« Reply #732 on: May 16, 2013, 01:01:09 pm »
I've just read The Gone away world by Nick Harkaway. It's really excellent. You can get it for Kindle and Kobo too if you have one.

http://www.amazon.com/Gone-Away-World-Vintage-Contemporaries/dp/0307389073/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1368680320&sr=1-1&keywords=the+gone+away+world

• snowpony
  • Newgookin

• August 06, 2012, 01:12:00 am
    • Ulsan, South Korea
« Reply #733 on: May 16, 2013, 01:05:17 pm »
I've also just started this great comedy book called Mystery man by Colin Bateman about a Irish guy who is bored so he moonlights as a private detective. It's pretty funny if you like really dry humour.

http://www.amazon.com/Mystery-Man-Bateman/dp/0755346750/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1368680610&sr=1-2&keywords=mystery+man

• JMW
  • Adventurer

• April 14, 2013, 11:27:50 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #734 on: February 13, 2014, 12:32:25 pm »
I've been on an epic Steampunk genre kick.
Mystery, monsters and crazy machines.

• wizall
  • Veteran

• May 01, 2012, 09:23:53 am
« Reply #735 on: February 13, 2014, 12:36:58 pm »
I recently finished up "The Secret Pilgrim," the last of the George Smiley series by John le Carré. Essentially eight quality reads.

I'm now onto "Cloud Atlas" and while it has enjoyable parts, other bits are making it a slog. I'll finish it, of course, but not without a bit of effort. Two weeks of desk-warming should help.

• BTeacher
  • Expert Waygook

• May 26, 2012, 07:21:01 am
« Reply #736 on: February 13, 2014, 12:41:16 pm »
I'm currently reading Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. Cyberpunk comedy. It's awesome.

• RoseLinda
  • Veteran

• March 05, 2013, 02:07:17 pm
    • Gangwon-do
« Reply #737 on: February 13, 2014, 12:42:05 pm »
John Milton - Paradise Lost.
iherbs promotion code;  WTL910 .
New customers will receive $10 off their first order of $40 or more, or take $5 off orders less than $40

« Reply #738 on: February 13, 2014, 12:54:18 pm »
oh yes.  revive this thread because I need new book recommendations.

I've recently read all of John Green's novels.  The Fault in Our Stars was the best in my opinion but only read it if you want to cry for like... years and years.

I also read Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood and I loved it.  Looking forward to reading the other books in the series (I think there are 3 in total).

• 한소로
  • Expert Waygook

• March 20, 2012, 07:50:46 am
    more
« Reply #739 on: February 13, 2014, 01:01:44 pm »
I've recently read all of John Green's novels.  The Fault in Our Stars was the best in my opinion but only read it if you want to cry for like... years and years.

I tried, I really did. I couldn't read it. Maybe my attention span was too short for it.

I'm reading Scott Pilgrim now..