Read 286040 times

Re: What Books are you reading???? just curious!
« Reply #700 on: February 26, 2013, 03:52:43 pm »
Has anyone read "Please Look After Mother" translated from the Korean novel by Kyung-Sook Shin?

I read that! But I feel like some things got lost in translation. Was missing something for me

• kelsini
  • Explorer

• March 07, 2011, 11:06:56 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #701 on: February 26, 2013, 05:03:03 pm »
I've just finished 'Range of Ghosts' by Elizabeth Bear (always nice to see a fantasy novel that doesn't lift off of medieval Europe for a setting) and 'Doctor Who: Shada' by Gareth Roberts (something's got to fill the void until the next half of the season starts up!) As to what I'll start reading next? My email has informed me that 'Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency' has just been delivered to my Kindle, so I'll take that as a sign that I'm supposed to re-read it.

« Reply #702 on: February 27, 2013, 07:32:23 pm »
I have read it before, but I am re-reading "The Alchemist"
It's a pretty fast read, but a good book to think about.

• FalseFace
  • Super Waygook

• November 04, 2012, 05:25:02 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #703 on: March 05, 2013, 09:15:22 am »
I plan to finish "The Souls Of Black Folk" this week.
"We're entrusted with the same tomorrow..."
-- El-P

• gclancy
  • Veteran

• March 27, 2012, 12:37:57 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #704 on: March 06, 2013, 08:36:28 am »
If you read Underworld then you should read White Noise too. Cosmopolis could also be read in a weekend, with some dedication. Delillo is one of the better American novelists, IMO

Just finished my first Delillo, "White Noise". Great book, very disturbing with some of the subtlest black humour I've ever come across in a novel, a hasty reader could miss it easy enough.

Before that I'd finally gotten around to reading som Sherlock Holmes, and was surprised to find he's a coke fiend, a racist, a misygonist and he makes some very suspect remarks about the working class also...

Currently I just got my hands on a copy of George Orwells war-time diaries. The guy pioneered media analysis decades before it even became a thing. Highly, highly recommended for the most honest account of what it was really like for a Briton during the Blitz.

• Harpoinseoul
  • Expert Waygook

• March 23, 2011, 06:49:03 pm
    • Coquitlam, BC
    more
« Reply #705 on: March 07, 2013, 10:51:11 pm »
Just started Jon Meacham's biography of Thomas Jefferson, so far very interesting. Also working on David Simon's "Homicide.." which was the basis for the TV show "Homicide: Life on the Street" also an excellent read.

Somebody told me "The Wire" was also based on a book he wrote, need to find that
"The Wire" is an awesome show! I'm hoping to read some of David Simon's books.
Skype Video Counselor in Coquitlam, BC

Make the best use of what's in your power; take the rest as it comes.

The thing that upsets people is not what happens; but what they think it means.

Epictetus (55 - 135 C.E.)

Inter-faith spiritual counselor
http://www.harpo.ca

• Jrong
  • The Legend

• April 28, 2011, 12:52:32 pm
    more
« Reply #706 on: March 09, 2013, 10:19:32 am »
Bossypants by Tina Fey. She's hilarious.

The Future by Al Gore. I may change my mind but right now I'm loving it. I want to cry at how much smarter he is than that  :lipsrsealed: who became president instead of him.
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

• Frozencat99
  • The Legend

• October 09, 2011, 04:31:36 pm
    more
« Reply #707 on: March 20, 2013, 08:37:30 pm »
Bad Science by Ben Goldacre.

Wonderful so far. If more people read books such as this one, society would be less reliant on prescription meds and homeopaths would be out of work (as they should be already).
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

You can leave your heterophobia behind.

• gclancy
  • Veteran

• Seoul
« Reply #708 on: March 21, 2013, 11:19:23 am »

Wonderful so far. If more people read books such as this one, society would be less reliant on prescription meds and homeopaths would be out of work (as they should be already).

Read it, amazing book! Taught me so much, possibly the best popular science book I've ever read, along with Dawkins - The Ancestors Tale
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 03:23:45 pm by gclancy »

• gtrain83
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 27, 2011, 10:26:20 am
« Reply #709 on: March 21, 2013, 01:03:40 pm »

This sounds good. Available at Kyobo by chance?

Any one read The 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene? Thinking of getting it soon.

« Reply #710 on: March 25, 2013, 10:57:12 am »
If anyone has any good history book recommendations, send them my way! I'm not a big history buff, but I love historical novels (both set in the past, and written in the past).
[/quote

I liked James Micheners books - They are works of historical fiction.  I've read  "Hawaii","Alaska" , "Chesepeake", "Centennial" (about Colorado) "Texas" & "Poland"

I also liked James Clavells books - "Shogun" " Gai Jin" , "Noble House" & I know I'm missing one in the series ... "Tai Pan " maybe ? -  his books follow a fictional family set around Japan & or Hong Kong throiughout several centuries.

I'll have to check out that Pearl S Buck book -  thanks for the recommendation.

If you like historical books - maybe an biography would suit you? "Reach for the Sky" by Douglas Bader is about the life and adventures of a RAF pilot during WW2 mainly. A great read and such an inspiring man. Was one of my favourite books when I was younger - I've read lots of other works by his biographer Paul Brickhill who details some fascinating stuff about WW2.... also, I recommend any works by Alistair McLean. He's a fantastic author.

« Reply #711 on: March 25, 2013, 11:05:19 am »
Now reading the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. Fantasy and Detective Fiction wrapped into one....quite enjoyable

I love The Dresden Files...even if the last few books gave me something of a permanent squint (from side eyeing Jim Butcher). I actually got a signed copy of the last book BEFORE it came out at San Diego Comic Con last year. We took photos and everything LOL.

His Codex Alera series is amazingly good as well. I used to ignore the books because he would talk about them in his Dresden Author Notes but finally decided to read them when the 3rd book came out. The series was written on a bet that you can not write a good story based on a bad idea. Butcher said he would accept TWO bad ideas.  The bad ideas were Roman Legionnaires and Pokemon.

I need to get some more of these books ...I haven't been to What the book for a while ...Thanks for the other recommendations!

« Reply #712 on: March 25, 2013, 11:06:39 am »
Just finished Agatha Christie's The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. It's quite absorbing and gave me chills at the end.  Also currently trying to finish Moby Dick. Anyways it's nice to find out what everybody's reading. I'll definitely try some of the books mentioned above!

I've read all of her books - she is one of my favourite authors. That book always gives me the chills. If you want some recommendations for her books let me know !

« Reply #713 on: March 25, 2013, 11:13:23 am »
So have recently reread:
all 7 Harry Potters and will need to REREAD books 6 & 7 as I spent most of it crying!
all 7 Chronicles of Narnia
Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle

I have recently read for the first time:
Sum of All Fears by Tom Clancy - excellent
Patriot Games by Tom Clancy - this is my favourite of the 3 books I've read by him and it has a different style that is a little easier to follow.
I say No by Wilkie Collins  - WOW.

I have read others too but they aren't springing to mind -  I don't have my ereader to check against.

• Frozencat99
  • The Legend

more
« Reply #714 on: March 29, 2013, 10:36:47 am »
Going to have to recommendBad Science again, even though I'm only 50% done. It mops the floor with a lot of false nutritional claims, some that I believed for years and that many people (likely iherb frequent customers) still do.

It's... it's just an all around assassination of bad studies and correlations, whether its about homeopathy, naturopathy, vitamin pills, antioxidants, big pharma...

The chapter on the placebo effect has made me want to reconsider medical school, too.
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

• gclancy
  • Veteran

• Seoul
« Reply #715 on: March 29, 2013, 11:20:35 am »
Going to have to recommendBad Science again, even though I'm only 50% done. It mops the floor with a lot of false nutritional claims, some that I believed for years and that many people (likely iherb frequent customers) still do.

It's... it's just an all around assassination of bad studies and correlations, whether its about homeopathy, naturopathy, vitamin pills, antioxidants, big pharma...

The chapter on the placebo effect has made me want to reconsider medical school, too.

He had  an irregular column in the Guardian for quite some time too if you like him. He alsoappeared in Charlie Brookers Newswipe once!....  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ_T1p-C8fc

• Frozencat99
  • The Legend

more
« Reply #716 on: March 29, 2013, 12:20:58 pm »
His TED video is great, too! I'm definitely going to pick up his other book after this one.

A chapter that wasn't in the original British publication, due to him being sued, is available for free online for anyone who wants to determine if they should buy it (or if they should re-evaluate the mass "natural" supplements/vitamin pills they take)

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/02/uk-books/images/The-Doctor-Will-Sue-You-Now.pdf

• Jrong
  • The Legend

• April 28, 2011, 12:52:32 pm
    more
« Reply #717 on: March 29, 2013, 01:00:32 pm »
Behind the Beautiful Forevers

I'm still dwelling on it all. Raises some great questions.
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

• rocketeerjoe
  • Expert Waygook

• March 08, 2012, 07:52:35 am
    • Jinhae, South Korea
« Reply #718 on: April 09, 2013, 02:47:46 pm »
The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler; The Physics of the Future by Michio Kaku; When Asia Was the World by Stuart Gordon
"If you want to change your direction. If your time of life is at hand. Well, then don't be the rule, be the exception. A good place to start is to stand. Just put one foot in front of the other." - Rankin Bass Santa Claus

• Frozencat99
  • The Legend

more
« Reply #719 on: April 17, 2013, 08:39:31 pm »
Physics of the Future, though I've put it down because it's somewhat awkward.

You Are Not So Smart, which is a fun read but it's essentially a bunch of cleverly-edited Wikipedia articles disguised as chapters.