Read 286048 times

• kschultz
  • Adventurer

• September 07, 2012, 01:15:57 pm
    • Osan
Re: What Books are you reading???? just curious!
« Reply #680 on: January 11, 2013, 12:56:19 pm »
I'm reading Collapse by Jarod Diamond and something about the urban decay of Detroit.  All very happy clappy stuff there.

I read some of his essays while in University, it was very insightful.

I'm currently reading Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman. And before that I read Under the Dome by Stephen King.

• Cards222
  • Waygookin

• October 28, 2012, 02:14:50 pm
    • Pyeongtaek
« Reply #681 on: January 28, 2013, 03:31:31 pm »
Currently reading A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson.  Basically explains deep sciencey stuff to not-so-sciencey people, great read. 

Devil in the White City by Eric Larson was great.  Perfect for history nerds but also had some good mystery.

« Reply #682 on: January 29, 2013, 03:14:47 am »
I've read part of Devil in the White City. It's an interesting read, though I feel that he overdoes it a bit on the narrative/conjecture. However, given that I'm reading it on my 5" device, it's a bit hard to see and obnoxious and have given it up for the moment. More obnoxious than hard to see, with the tool, that is, since I have it in pdf form. Meaning lots of swiping page left to right and back on the tool. Ugh.

I'm also in Malloy by S. Beckett. Probably contrary to many, and despite the sporatic aggravation, I'm finding myself enjoying the rambling, ranting, winding narrative, how time and place blurs into the next into the next into omg did u really just take the place a dog? etc. But, again, because of my 5" tool, it's either swipe or adjust to like 6-8 pt. font, something that can aggravate the aggravation, I think I'll wait until I can find a nice used copy to read.

Main point, I think I'll try out the epub format or something that fits the text to the screen

« Reply #683 on: January 30, 2013, 11:23:30 am »
I also liked James Clavells books - "Shogun" " Gai Jin" , "Noble House" & I know I'm missing one in the series ... "Tai Pan " maybe ? -  his books follow a fictional family set around Japan & or Hong Kong throiughout several centuries.

Check out "King Rat" too. Shorter and much less complicated than the others.
"Whirlwind" is the sixth.

• wrinklebump
  • Expert Waygook

• March 20, 2012, 01:31:12 pm
    • Ulsan, Korea via Detroit, Michigan
« Reply #684 on: January 31, 2013, 12:01:19 am »
Just finished my first Bronte novel, the entirety of which was read exclusively while pooping

It was aight

Prefer Austen among the proto-feminists

Livin in a pathetic epidemic with schizophrenics buyin synthetic bodies on credit

• singjapoe
  • Adventurer

• September 25, 2012, 09:13:14 am
    • Maseok, Namyangju
« Reply #685 on: January 31, 2013, 08:07:42 am »
I also liked James Clavells books - "Shogun" " Gai Jin" , "Noble House" & I know I'm missing one in the series ... "Tai Pan " maybe ? -  his books follow a fictional family set around Japan & or Hong Kong throiughout several centuries.

Check out "King Rat" too. Shorter and much less complicated than the others.
"Whirlwind" is the sixth.

I just finished Shogun.  I was surprised with how quickly I finished such a long book; I breezed right through it, it was so good.  Clavell puts so much cultural information into his books.  Really great stuff.
“Tourists don’t know where they’ve been, travelers don’t know where they’re going.”

« Reply #686 on: February 01, 2013, 10:35:37 am »
Am currently reading Cosmos by Carl Sagan and Far From the Tree by Andrew Solomon. 

« Reply #687 on: February 02, 2013, 12:31:53 am »
I'm reading Collapse by Jarod Diamond and something about the urban decay of Detroit.  All very happy clappy stuff there.

Cool, I'm reading one his as well, Guns, Germs, and  Steel: the Fates of Human Societies. So far , so good.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #688 on: February 02, 2013, 12:34:32 am »
There are those who read and those who talk about reading... rarely the two shall meet, and when they do, the readers get pissed off at the posers! (9 times out of 10, and you can smell it)

• dachiza727
  • Super Waygook

• June 24, 2010, 09:52:23 pm
    • South Korea
    more
« Reply #689 on: February 02, 2013, 04:39:55 am »
i rarely read for entertainment.

the exception recently has been THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO, picked it up b4 my 13 hour flight to korea.  its a doosy
"I’ll have a vanilla...one of those vanilla bullshit things. You know, whatever you want, some vanilla bullshit latte cappa thing. Whatever you got."

true dat.

• Arsalan
  • Site Programmer

• September 18, 2006, 02:00:00 pm
    • Alberta
    more
« Reply #690 on: February 04, 2013, 05:14:59 am »
....Reading is a process not so conducive to name dropping some classic.

Back in '92 I started a book club in uni only to discover the majority of participants did NOT read the books prior to the meetings. They just liked talking ABOUT books, adding little substance, living their own self-deluded pretense at a superficial level of name dropping. At the time I didn't realize how typical this was (the Internet age showed me otherwise).

Those who read, read. Those who b.s., b.s. (This is not condescension it's blunt realism, as this one sees it.)

Anyone wanna delve deep into ANY text pM me. I'll read the book in under a week and we'll head deep into it. Treading on the surface has no interest any more.

You kind of give me an idea for a section under gabfest.  Unfortunately, at the moment my readings consist of textbooks about data mining, networking, and computational intelligence.  I have reading list I want to get to, but there seems not to be enough hours in the day between work, my MSc, waygook, and sleep.

I like grabbing a book and going through it in one to a few sittings, as opposed to reading it for 15 minutes and putting it back, several times.  Unless maybe I did it daily, and not allow a week to go by before going to it again.
See you on my site:  https://arsalan.io/

« Reply #691 on: February 04, 2013, 07:54:49 am »
UNderworld by Don Delillo

finished Wolf Hall by Hiliary Mantel

both solid books, but long.

• wrinklebump
  • Expert Waygook

« Reply #692 on: February 04, 2013, 06:03:00 pm »
If you read Underworld then you should read White Noise too. Cosmopolis could also be read in a weekend, with some dedication. Delillo is one of the better American novelists, IMO
Livin in a pathetic epidemic with schizophrenics buyin synthetic bodies on credit

• TheWB18
  • Expert Waygook

• October 27, 2011, 07:51:30 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #693 on: February 05, 2013, 11:07:08 am »
If you read Underworld then you should read White Noise too. Cosmopolis could also be read in a weekend, with some dedication. Delillo is one of the better American novelists, IMO

I've only read Cosmopolis by DeLillo, but it was one of the worst books I've ever read. Mediocre writing, poor character development, felt half-hearted...couldn't even finish it, and it's quite small.

Right now I'm reading A Question of Power by Bessie Head, just finished Hilary Mantel's Bring Up the Bodies, a good choice if you like historical fiction. Also meandering through Les Fleurs du Mal.

• wrinklebump
  • Expert Waygook

« Reply #694 on: February 05, 2013, 12:05:49 pm »
Was definitely less of a story than a scribbling, but I doubt it's as bad as you think. John Updike's review: http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2003/03/31/030331crbo_books1?currentPage=1

• TheWB18
  • Expert Waygook

• October 27, 2011, 07:51:30 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #695 on: February 05, 2013, 12:20:55 pm »
Was definitely less of a story than a scribbling, but I doubt it's as bad as you think. John Updike's review: http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2003/03/31/030331crbo_books1?currentPage=1

It's all peace and love, but solid reviews from fellow literary icons of the same generation and same general critical camp don't mean much. It's like when John Boehner tells you Paul Ryan's okay.

*Also, I should add..."worst book" in the sense of worst book by a supposedly talented, serious writer. Obviously there are thousands of volumes of drivel much worse than Cosmopolis.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 12:45:52 pm by TheWB18 »

• gtrain83
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 27, 2011, 10:26:20 am
« Reply #696 on: February 05, 2013, 12:38:28 pm »
Physics of the Impossible by Michio Kaku. (the co-founder of String Field Theory and a theoretical physicist)

He uses his physics knowledge (based on current laws of physics) to give probabilities of certain technologies becoming available in the future. (time travel, robots, ray guns, etc.)

If you like science def a good read. He has other books as well, which I can't wait to read.

• Harpoinseoul
  • Expert Waygook

• March 23, 2011, 06:49:03 pm
    • Coquitlam, BC
    more
« Reply #697 on: February 08, 2013, 09:45:08 am »
I'm reading CLOUD ATLAS by David Mitchelle. A very interesting book! Hoping to read more of his collection. BTW, the movie was fantastic! IMHO.
Skype Video Counselor in Coquitlam, BC

Make the best use of what's in your power; take the rest as it comes.

The thing that upsets people is not what happens; but what they think it means.

Epictetus (55 - 135 C.E.)

Inter-faith spiritual counselor
http://www.harpo.ca

• Jrong
  • The Legend

• April 28, 2011, 12:52:32 pm
    more
« Reply #698 on: February 10, 2013, 05:07:00 pm »
Physics of the Impossible by Michio Kaku. (the co-founder of String Field Theory and a theoretical physicist)

He uses his physics knowledge (based on current laws of physics) to give probabilities of certain technologies becoming available in the future. (time travel, robots, ray guns, etc.)

If you like science def a good read. He has other books as well, which I can't wait to read.
I need to read this.
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

• Lurch
  • Expert Waygook

• September 05, 2011, 08:31:17 am
    • Chungju
« Reply #699 on: February 13, 2013, 11:05:32 am »
I'm reading Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series right now. I had no idea what to expect going into it since I've only ever read his short stories. It's, not bad I guess. Though it has a tendency to drag quite a bit. I can't say I find any of the characters particularly appealing like I did with Tolkien - who is apparently King's big influence on this work along with Sergio Leone - (a Western Lord of the Rings sound awesome in practice...) but the story's got just enough interesting bits to keep me reading.