Read 286077 times

• TeacherS
  • Waygookin

• October 20, 2012, 11:38:17 am
    • Gumi City
Re: What Books are you reading???? just curious!
« Reply #660 on: December 26, 2012, 11:10:13 pm »
A Game of Thrones <3<3

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #661 on: December 27, 2012, 05:34:36 am »
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver

It's one family's real-life attempt to live a more traditional farm way of life: eating local foods prepared at home. The author describes in detail their year-long project to return-to-basics living, a sort of back-to-the-land movement of locavores, touching on the slow food movement, the Amish, farmers' markets, whole foods, the organic food growers, all kinds of interconnecting attempts to avoid manufactured food products and the urban lifestyles that sustain it.

It's interesting and different and do-able, this last quality evident. the author is doinga  good job in the book of convincing me that it's not so whacky or difficult to return to older, healthier, more connected ways of eating, cooking, living. Hell, the book is making me want to take up gardening! And I've always hated dirt.

• Arsalan
  • Site Programmer

• September 18, 2006, 02:00:00 pm
    • Alberta
    more
« Reply #662 on: December 27, 2012, 05:49:37 am »
A little boring perhaps, but it's for my course:  Data Mining: Practical Machine Learning Tools and Techniques (3rd ed.).  by: Ian H. Witten, Eibe Frank, and Mark A. Hall.

For novels, I would definitely recommend a book titled "My Name is Red".  Excellent book, and it is the translation from the original turkish, which won the translator/author (Pamuk) a Nobel prize in literature.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 05:52:01 am by Arsalan »
See you on my site:  https://arsalan.io/

• bts21
  • Adventurer

• September 04, 2012, 10:15:28 am
    • Gyeongbuk
« Reply #663 on: December 27, 2012, 07:12:44 am »

I'm also digging my way through 1Q84 ...

The story and the characters are exciting and alive. I really am enjoying this story. Definitely recommend it.

Always dangerous to recommend a book you haven't finished with - especially something like 1Q84!

I'm reading a Wodehouse short story collection at present. I needed a break from long, dramatic stories, and if it's humor you want, he's hard to beat.

• gclancy
  • Veteran

• March 27, 2012, 12:37:57 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #664 on: December 27, 2012, 07:51:38 am »
I just finished Pearl S. Buck's The Living Reed, a historical fiction set in Korea before, during, and just after the Japanese occupation. I really enjoyed it. I felt a great surge of pride in Korea after finishing, which is strange, since I have absolutely no Korean heritage.

Also just finished Essays In Love. That book was...phenomenal. I wanted to underline every other line.

Now...I suppose I'll get around to finishing the books on my bookshelf I bought a while back but didn't get around to reading. Pompeii, The Guest, and Demian.

If anyone has any good history book recommendations, send them my way! I'm not a big history buff, but I love historical novels (both set in the past, and written in the past).

Reading Papillon at the moment, have you ever tried that? Searing indictment of the French penal system, as well as a great adventure story. Highly recommended!

• lianney
  • Super Waygook

• April 05, 2012, 09:12:45 am
« Reply #665 on: December 27, 2012, 07:58:19 am »
A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson.

Just finished The Wind Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami.
http://www.liasian.wordpress.com Accounts of a Korean American adoptee

$10 off of orders $40 or more on iHerb.com Code: LST616 http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=LST616

Earn $25 when you book $50 or more at Booking.com : https://www.booking.com/s/34_6/9545870b

• Synoptic23
  • Veteran

• August 28, 2012, 09:40:28 am
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #666 on: December 28, 2012, 01:08:52 pm »
I can't read, but if I could I would check out "Status Anxiety" by Alain de Botton. (I think that's how you spell it). I had someone read to me "The Stranger" by Camus. Good book.
Korea since 2009

• Jrong
  • The Legend

• April 28, 2011, 12:52:32 pm
    more
« Reply #667 on: December 28, 2012, 02:43:15 pm »
A little boring perhaps, but it's for my course:  Data Mining: Practical Machine Learning Tools and Techniques (3rd ed.).  by: Ian H. Witten, Eibe Frank, and Mark A. Hall.

For novels, I would definitely recommend a book titled "My Name is Red".  Excellent book, and it is the translation from the original turkish, which won the translator/author (Pamuk) a Nobel prize in literature.

A few years ago I read "Snow" by Orhan Pamuk and liked it.

--

Currently reading: "The End of Faith". I like the book. I've read so many excerpts from it that I already that even before reading it I knew I'd completely agree with his premise -- a premise which many liberals might not like.

He does try to push things into his pattern a little too much, though. I'd attribute a lot of the evils that he solely bases on religion to socio-economic factors as well.

"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

• ninohan
  • Adventurer

• June 02, 2012, 06:06:00 pm
    • seoul
    more
« Reply #668 on: December 30, 2012, 05:29:07 pm »
Ghost Rider pretty interesting.
Everything you want to know about living in Seoul. More than 7,000 English speaking business directory. http://www.expatguidekorea.com

« Reply #669 on: December 31, 2012, 09:43:02 am »
"Eastern Body, Western Mind".  It basically breaks down the psychology behind each of the 7 chakras.  Very interesting stuff.

• Harpoinseoul
  • Expert Waygook

• March 23, 2011, 06:49:03 pm
    • Coquitlam, BC
    more
« Reply #670 on: January 07, 2013, 06:44:47 pm »
Waging Heavy Peace, by Neil Young. Very good, so far!
Skype Video Counselor in Coquitlam, BC

Make the best use of what's in your power; take the rest as it comes.

The thing that upsets people is not what happens; but what they think it means.

Epictetus (55 - 135 C.E.)

Inter-faith spiritual counselor
http://www.harpo.ca

« Reply #671 on: January 07, 2013, 06:50:12 pm »
1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. 

Not a reader at all but his stuff keeps my attention

« Reply #672 on: January 07, 2013, 07:25:32 pm »
I was reading the Tiger's wife by tea obreht.. until I think I left it on the subway.. Cannot find it anywhere!!! Its about a doctor whose grandfather dies during a wartime in her country so she tries to figure out the circumstances surrounding his death. (sigh) I will have to buy another copy. : (

« Reply #673 on: January 08, 2013, 07:20:25 pm »
I am reading The Sage of Larten Crepsley Brothers to the Death by Darren Shan, which is the prequel to the Cirque Du Freak.

• FalseFace
  • Super Waygook

• November 04, 2012, 05:25:02 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #674 on: January 09, 2013, 03:05:48 pm »
I just re-read Huxley's "Brave New World". I read it in middle school, but wanted to re-visit it like I did "1984" last year. 

I'm looking to read something new, but I'm not quite sure what subject or even if I want fiction or non...
"We're entrusted with the same tomorrow..."
-- El-P

• tbarrows
  • Adventurer

• October 10, 2012, 08:36:03 pm
    • Chuncheon, Korea
« Reply #675 on: January 09, 2013, 04:55:57 pm »
It's cold outside and I don't really want to spend my spare time waiting for cabs, so I decided to start a long book I've been wanting to read.

I'm reading the Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky translated by Pevear and Volokhonsky. They are the best translators for Russian to English literature.

• Jrong
  • The Legend

more
« Reply #676 on: January 09, 2013, 08:16:55 pm »
War, racism, and economic injustice: the global ravages of capitalism. By Fidel.

If you can get past all of Fidel's un-selfaware narcissistic image-consciousness, his penchant for polarizing everything and magnifying it (if it's good, it's the best thing ever!!!!! and if it sucks, it's HELL :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: !), and his subjective interpretation of events that sometimes defies logic, you find out that at his core the guy is genuinely compassionate. Much more compassionate than most.

His old-school sociological view that ignores the huge role genetics plays in human suffering and motivation is his downfall. He has way too much faith in the goodness of the human animal, imo...But whatever, I'm just an Englishee teacher, what do I know?

So, I'd say the book is not worth reading for most people. Not like anyone on here was going to read it anyways...

:P

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #677 on: January 09, 2013, 11:31:18 pm »
Half of you are posers (only half, but you know who you are). Be around long enough and you'll smell the ****.  :police: Reading is a process not so conducive to name dropping some classic.

Back in '92 I started a book club in uni only to discover the majority of participants did NOT read the books prior to the meetings. They just liked talking ABOUT books, adding little substance, living their own self-deluded pretense at a superficial level of name dropping. At the time I didn't realize how typical this was (the Internet age showed me otherwise).

Those who read, read. Those who b.s., b.s. (This is not condescension it's blunt realism, as this one sees it.)

Anyone wanna delve deep into ANY text pM me. I'll read the book in under a week and we'll head deep into it. Treading on the surface has no interest any more.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 11:34:37 pm by VanIslander »

• Jrong
  • The Legend

more
« Reply #678 on: January 10, 2013, 06:58:48 am »

Anyone wanna delve deep into ANY text pM me.

OK, I'll PM you. I'm also currently reading: "Playtime with Simba!" with my toddler at night. I'm looking forward to our deep conversations as we delve deep into this great text.

Half of you are posers (only half, but you know who you are). Be around long enough and you'll smell the ****.   Reading is a process not so conducive to name dropping some classic.

Yeah, posers. Thank God that deep people like you are around to talk with, Van. My son is such a poser, he just ignores what I'm reading him (especially on pages 8 and 9, the last pages of this lengthy novel) and points to the butterflies saying: "buttabie! buttabie!". He's also a compulsive name-dropper, walking around the house muttering "Simba!". Psh, what a loser/poser.

• Nivea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 02, 2011, 11:23:30 pm
« Reply #679 on: January 10, 2013, 01:52:33 pm »
I'm reading Collapse by Jarod Diamond and something about the urban decay of Detroit.  All very happy clappy stuff there.