Read 286099 times

• woman-king
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 18, 2010, 03:56:29 pm
    • Gyeonggi
Re: What Books are you reading???? just curious!
« Reply #560 on: May 10, 2012, 06:59:39 pm »
Recently:

-"Just Kids," Patti Smith's memoir.  Beautiful, best book I've read in a long time.
-"A Movable Feast" (Hemingway)

Slowly working my way through "Walden."  It has some really long-winded parts, but also some really luminous passages that make me want to go find a cabin in a forest somewhere...I miss big trees. 

My reading goal for the summer is to get "Dune" on my kindle--I've picked it up before but never really committed to it so of course never got very far.  Having it on a kindle will make it a lot easier to carry around.  :D

I also want to check out the "Game of Thrones" series too.

• woman-king
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 18, 2010, 03:56:29 pm
    • Gyeonggi
« Reply #561 on: May 10, 2012, 07:03:18 pm »
I'm reading an interesting book called "Outliers" at the mo. I forget the author but its fascinating. it looks at anomalies in data (research) and then takes a closer look to see why they crop up. Usually ther is a story behind why and we discover that the anomaly is the result of some confluence of events rather than a fluke or miracle  or that the person is a genius.... it is very rare (and statistically it should be) for it to be 'miraculous' but when it is- thats a true outlier. Fascinating.

Malcolm Gladwell, I think.  I read a chunk of it on the flight from LAX to Incheon, and it was really interesting.  If you like Outliers, definitely check out another one of his, The Tipping Point.  Gladwell does a great job of bringing at times rather academic sociological and anthropological theory and experimentation into very real situations.  Also quite good at pitching a big idea, as in Outlier and Tipping Point.

Outliers was fascinating.  I've actually never gotten around to reading "Blink" despite seeing it referenced so much; doing that now, too.

• wrinklebump
  • Expert Waygook

• March 20, 2012, 01:31:12 pm
    • Ulsan, Korea via Detroit, Michigan
« Reply #562 on: May 10, 2012, 07:23:02 pm »
stephen king's 11/22/63 was an impressive read. main character is an english teacher!

highly recommended.
Livin in a pathetic epidemic with schizophrenics buyin synthetic bodies on credit

• wrinklebump
  • Expert Waygook

« Reply #563 on: May 10, 2012, 07:31:48 pm »
also, i noticed there are quite a few posters reading fantasy novels. i'm curious as to whether or not anyone has read phillip pullman's his dark materials trilogy - those are my favorite fantasy novels, by no small margin.
Livin in a pathetic epidemic with schizophrenics buyin synthetic bodies on credit

• Frozencat99
  • The Legend

• October 09, 2011, 04:31:36 pm
    more
« Reply #564 on: May 10, 2012, 09:51:38 pm »
I'm also starting Not in This Family as my current non-fiction book. Getting to study with and learn from Heather Murray was one of the best experiences of my life, so I recommend her work to anyone at all interested in American postwar (WW2 specifically) history. Her expertise is within issues of privacy, sexuality, social history, and medical history... so she's also quite diverse.
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

You can leave your heterophobia behind.

« Reply #565 on: May 11, 2012, 09:11:11 am »
Thinking of giving 'Mein Kamph' a shot.  Might be interesting for historical purposes. 

Anyone read it...? 

Probably a less disturbing read than 'American Psycho' I'd imagine....?  From what I've read about it so far, although Hitler's acts were disturbing, as well as his philosophies, the book itself isn't that bleak a read, more poorly written than anything, his style being somewhat convoluted and grandiose...

« Reply #566 on: May 15, 2012, 02:19:52 pm »
I have been reading the Sherlock Holmes collection as of late. Thanks to the movies, I have been really interested in the series. Doyle did an amazing job and I have been very pleased with the series.

I am also reading some sci-fi. I love Asimov and would suggest the Foundation series.

Anyone, read the Twilight series...kkkkkk

• wrinklebump
  • Expert Waygook

« Reply #567 on: May 15, 2012, 02:49:37 pm »
Thinking of giving 'Mein Kamph' a shot.  Might be interesting for historical purposes. 

Anyone read it...? 

Probably a less disturbing read than 'American Psycho' I'd imagine....?  From what I've read about it so far, although Hitler's acts were disturbing, as well as his philosophies, the book itself isn't that bleak a read, more poorly written than anything, his style being somewhat convoluted and grandiose...

reading mein kempf out of context isnt really a worthwhile endeavor. it is very much a product of the german experience after its defeat in world war 1, and should be supplemented with relevant reading.

« Reply #568 on: May 15, 2012, 03:30:23 pm »
Interesting to see al the love for Murakami. Finished 1q84 last week; was a good read though towards the end of part two, it would have benefitted from a little more editing, however I felt it picked up nicely in book three. Not as good as Dance, Dance, Dance though.
Also have really enjoyed working my way through all the Sherlock Holmes stories and novels. I am so glad I bought a Kindle as I have finally got round to reading so many books I have put off; Tristram Shandy, Heart Of Darkness, A Tale Of Two Cities. Have generally been surprised how easy a lot of the classics are to get into. Only disapointment was Robinson Crusoe which got bogged down with his religious beliefs and inflicting it upon Man Friday.

« Reply #569 on: May 16, 2012, 12:57:07 am »

Anyone read it...? 

reading mein kempf out of context isnt really a worthwhile endeavor. it is very much a product of the german experience after its defeat in world war 1, and should be supplemented with relevant reading.

Studied both WW1 and WW2 in historry at college, so am already aware of the social-political-economic backgrounds.

• wrinklebump
  • Expert Waygook

« Reply #570 on: May 16, 2012, 01:09:04 am »

Anyone read it...? 

Studied both WW1 and WW2 in historry at college, so am already aware of the social-political-economic backgrounds.

then by all means, just beware that like most insane bastards, he drones on and on and on about the same topics endlessly

« Reply #571 on: May 16, 2012, 08:43:28 am »
Papillon by Henri Charriere for the umpteenth time.
Tagline reads as "the greatest true story of escape and adventure ever written", and although many challenge the authenticity of the various tales, it really is an outstanding piece of literature. Worth checking out for those with basically any literary taste.

• Lurch
  • Expert Waygook

• September 05, 2011, 08:31:17 am
    • Chungju
« Reply #572 on: May 16, 2012, 11:08:10 am »
I'm currently reading Robert Charles Wilson's third book in his Spin Trilogy:  "Vortex".

I went on a recent binge and read most of his stuff.  Wilson books are weird, I pick them up, can't stop reading them, am inevitably at least a little disappointed in the end and then rabidly pick up the next one.  I guess I like his books?

My favorite thing I've read fairly recently was Verner Vinge's "A Deepness in the Sky".  It inspired me to read his "Rainbows End" which I enjoyed considerably less, but can't deny is at least well-written.

My favorite thing I've read in the last few years was Charlie Stross' "Glasshouse".  Even if you despise science fiction, I advise you give it a read.  Some of the best sort-of-satire (you'd have to read it to fully understand) I've ever read.

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
« Reply #573 on: May 16, 2012, 11:17:04 am »
just stared 1Q84 the other day. not really sure what to make of it so far! but i like the style.
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

• Warra
  • Veteran

• March 05, 2012, 08:10:27 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #574 on: May 22, 2012, 10:01:48 am »
I have two of the Warcraft Trilogy novels. Found them in a friends apartment and they apparantly belonged to the NET before her. Never even knew they existed and wonder if they're any good coz I haven't had time to start them yet. Does anybody know?

• vw08
  • Super Waygook

• May 11, 2011, 01:26:31 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #575 on: May 22, 2012, 11:18:21 am »
I'm re-reading Tokyo Vice by Jake Adelstein before my upcoming trip to Japan. 

It's about his time as a crime reporter for one of the biggest newspapers in Japan, including his interaction with the yakuza.  Foreign reporters at Japanese language newspapers are pretty rare, especially one who stay 10+ years like Adelstein. 

• Sprite06
  • Featured Contributor

• September 22, 2010, 11:21:29 am
    • Daegu
    more
« Reply #576 on: May 22, 2012, 01:31:13 pm »
Just finished Feast for Crows.  Meh.  3/5

Started this yesterday :

• shhowse
  • Featured Contributor

• August 25, 2009, 08:49:24 am
    • Mokpo
    more
« Reply #577 on: June 08, 2012, 08:10:43 am »
After a long absence since the birth of my daughter, I have finally found some time for reading again!

I'm starting with Ten Hills Farm by C.S. Manegold, subtitled The Forgotten History of Slavery in the North.  As I started reading I noticed that it is actually non-fiction as opposed to historical fiction or based on real events kind of story telling. I'm only a couple pages in but so far I am interested in the saga.

« Reply #578 on: June 08, 2012, 03:36:25 pm »
Just finished Feast for Crows.  Meh.  3/5

I agree, it was slow.  Dance of Dragons advances the plots somewhat, and even reintroduces the characters the author left in book 4, to tie it together, somewhat. 

I'm starting "The Tipping Point" by Malcolm Gladwell, although after reading the introduction I understand the concept and might not delve into the rest of the book. 

• Edmond
  • Explorer

• March 05, 2012, 01:08:23 pm
    • Yeongju, Gyeongsangbuk-do, South Korea
« Reply #579 on: June 18, 2012, 09:09:13 am »
A teacher in my building gave me the English translation for an Author named Yi Sang called "The Wings"
and it was amazing. 

Here's a bit of into of him from Wikipedia.
Yi Sang (August 20, 1910 - April 17, 1937) is considered one of the most innovative writers in modern Korean literature. Crossing and blurring the boundaries between poetry, fiction and essay, his experiments in literary form and language, as well the psychological complexity of his inquiry into passion, eroticism and the indeterminate nature of self were unprecedented in Korean literary practices of his time.