Read 286068 times

Re: What Books are you reading???? just curious!
« Reply #500 on: March 17, 2012, 12:31:56 pm »
I dunno why people like to talk about books they are reading (or haven't even read!!). I would MUCH rather talk about books I have FINISHED reading, as it is AFTER one is done with a book that one either wants it to continue via thought and discussion or else one wants to warn others to stay away from it. I rarely wish to talk about a book I'm actually in the middle of. It's like talking during a movie.
That's quite funny. This is one of the tabs open in my browser right now.
http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2012/mar/13/why-finish-books/

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #501 on: March 17, 2012, 01:59:14 pm »
This is one of the tabs open in my browser right now.
In the ADHD quick hit short text tech culture of today it's no surprise that reading an entire book is considered passť.  And I notice you didn't say you read the article, just that you have it available. Having a book on a bookshelf has never seemed impressive to me, and it really irked me when I started a book club in university to discover that most of those who attended the meetings hadn't actually read the novels but thought the NY Times Book Review, other lit crit or some coles notes summary of the author and book would suffice to b.s. their way through discussions for hours. I am cut from a different cloth. The only time I am tempted to stop reading a good book is when I am enthralled with its thought-provoking contents and wish to delay closure. I am not talking about plot-driven pulp fiction, but I guess a similar impulse applies.

Reading one book all afternoon is so much more rewarding and long lasting than hours of surfing the 'net or flipping through magazines. Some people understand this outdated way of being.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 02:01:15 pm by VanIslander »

« Reply #502 on: March 18, 2012, 10:28:42 am »
I'm reading a Korean book, which is called 외톨이(The Loner)
The book is quite interesting, and it describes the teenagers' lives.

« Reply #503 on: March 18, 2012, 11:44:45 am »
This is one of the tabs open in my browser right now.
In the ADHD quick hit short text tech culture of today it's no surprise that reading an entire book is considered passť.  And I notice you didn't say you read the article, just that you have it available.

I was being slightly facetious.  :D And you did call my bluff. I sent the article to my Kindle, but haven't actually read it yet.

Having a book on a bookshelf has never seemed impressive to me,
I don't keep books simply because I live a transient lifestyle. I could probably see myself buying a well made book case of the western canon, of which I have read only a few and will probably never get around to reading all of.

Reading one book all afternoon is so much more rewarding and long lasting than hours of surfing the 'net or flipping through magazines. Some people understand this outdated way of being.
Agree entirely. I hate that feeling of it being 9.30 at night and realising you just spent 9 hours tooling around on the net and have no idea what you achieved by it.

• snufkin
  • Waygookin

• March 02, 2012, 06:07:42 pm
    • Gyeongsan
« Reply #504 on: March 18, 2012, 12:22:09 pm »
"Ghost Rider" by Neil Peart - fantastic book so far!

« Reply #505 on: April 04, 2012, 08:12:26 am »
I'm so glad I found this.  I've been looking for more books to download on my kindle.  There are so many great ideas here.  I just finished "The Tea Rose" by Jennifer Donnelly, and it was great.  There are two more books in the trilogy that I also plan to read.  It's a little slow at times, so it won't keep you up all night, but it's a nice book to read a few chapters every day.  The other books in the series are called "The Wild Rose" and "The Winter Rose".

« Reply #506 on: April 04, 2012, 05:12:21 pm »
Just finished. December 1941 and Rachel Maddow's book Drift. Talk about contrasts on how America views and is engaged in war. The Maddow book is not what you would expect from liberal like her. Yeah she bashes (and rightfully so) Reagan's handling of Grenada and Iran-Contra etc to the privatization of war policy that started under Clinton and continues today. She makes a great case that we need to become more engaged on when, how and why we go to war.

Just started The Lady and the Peacock, a new biography of Aung San Suu Kyi. Heard it got good reviews.

« Reply #507 on: April 04, 2012, 08:14:02 pm »
Plan on starting to read diplomacy by Kissinger.  Does anyone know if there is a online  Korean book store that sells Kindle readable Mobi files? 

Thank you

« Reply #508 on: April 05, 2012, 07:22:27 am »
Plan on starting to read diplomacy by Kissinger.  Does anyone know if there is a online  Korean book store that sells Kindle readable Mobi files? 

Thank you

there are torrent sites that have them, few times i've picked up entire NY Times bestseller lists, think the Kissinger book on China was on it recently

« Reply #509 on: April 05, 2012, 08:38:40 am »
"Ghost Rider" by Neil Peart - fantastic book so far!

Awesome! I'm guessing many people only know of him through his drumming (and hopefully Rush), but he is a very well-spoken individual and a gifted writer.  If you haven't already, try out The Masked Rider - it's about Neil cycling in Africa.

BTW, I'm currently reading A Code to Keep: The True Story of America's Longest-Held Civilian POW in Vietnam.  Though a bit tiring at times - you might get a sense that the author is very, very high on himself - I still respect what the man lived through, and I'm glad I decided to give it a go.

• Gilligan
  • Adventurer

• April 17, 2008, 07:43:14 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #510 on: April 05, 2012, 09:56:12 am »
I'm reading Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time.  Pretty interesting stuff.

• TheWB18
  • Expert Waygook

• October 27, 2011, 07:51:30 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #511 on: April 05, 2012, 10:28:00 am »
Just finished Last Exit to Brooklyn.  Not quite what I expected...was really interesting to see how Selby treated the intersection of working-class Brooklyn and alternative lifestyles, mainly gay/transgender lifestyles, which aren't usually treated together.  It was also a lovely reminder of home and growing up, which I really appreciated as I feel a bit cut off here in Korea.

Starting a Jean-Philippe Toussaint novel...can't remember the name, actually, it's with his occasional Marie character.

Looking forward to the weekend so I can get focused and start my way into Thus Spoke Zarathustra.  First Nietzsche I've read for a little while, so I'm excited.

• Jrong
  • The Legend

• April 28, 2011, 12:52:32 pm
    more
« Reply #512 on: April 05, 2012, 10:49:38 am »
"The Believing Brain" by Michael Shermer. http://www.michaelshermer.com/the-believing-brain/ I started it a while back and am finally getting around to finishing it. About 1/3 of it is detailed scientific experiments (booooring but necessary). Another 1/3 of it is all about Michael ("Hey, look at me, I'm Michael Shermer and I'm so cool." No, you're actually a d@#bag). The remaining 1/3rd definitely makes the book worth reading. Best book I've read in a long time. Great premise. World-view changing. I highly recommend it.

I don't recommend this book b/c I like the guy (I really dislike him), but he has some very good things to say concerning what neuroscientists are learning about why we believe what we believe.
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

• rahfh
  • Adventurer

• April 05, 2012, 02:57:17 pm
    • Uijeonbu, South Korea
« Reply #513 on: April 05, 2012, 03:17:14 pm »
A history of western philosophy - Bertrand Russel.. a tomb I dragged with my on my trip here.

« Reply #514 on: April 05, 2012, 03:18:40 pm »
"The Believing Brain" by Michael Shermer. http://www.michaelshermer.com/the-believing-brain/ I started it a while back and am finally getting around to finishing it. About 1/3 of it is detailed scientific experiments (booooring but necessary). Another 1/3 of it is all about Michael ("Hey, look at me, I'm Michael Shermer and I'm so cool." No, you're actually a d@#bag). The remaining 1/3rd definitely makes the book worth reading. Best book I've read in a long time. Great premise. World-view changing. I highly recommend it.

I don't recommend this book b/c I like the guy (I really dislike him), but he has some very good things to say concerning what neuroscientists are learning about why we believe what we believe.

Really good book.

• flasyb
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 30, 2010, 12:10:03 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #515 on: April 05, 2012, 03:24:16 pm »
A history of western philosophy - Bertrand Russel.. a tomb I dragged with my on my trip here.

Staying for the long haul, eh? Chosen a cemetery yet?  :laugh:

Just kidding, really. I need to stop playing computer games, read my current stack of books and then get some Bertrand. I just know him as the t-pot in space guy philosopher that everybody talks about.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

« Reply #516 on: April 05, 2012, 10:01:52 pm »
Right now I'm reading Sons and Lovers by D. H. Lovers. It's technically for a class, but I got to choose it on my own, and it's a good one.

« Reply #517 on: April 06, 2012, 04:46:24 am »
I found the Bourne Identity in a second hand book shop. I had forgotten the movie was based on a novel. It's pretty brainless and the dialog is atrocious (tons of tell not show), but the action scenes are actually quite exciting. I'm not sure if I will finish it.

Another series of novels that is ripe for adaptation to the screen is the Fletch series. Really funny and some good action scenes as well. http://www.amazon.com/Fletch-Gregory-Mcdonald/dp/0375713549/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1333658694&sr=8-4
It's a shame they're not available in kindle format but there is a really good torrent of them in mobi format and the author is dead so you don't have to worry about him missing out on royalties.

« Reply #518 on: April 06, 2012, 11:45:10 am »
Yesterday I picked up a Roald Dahl book at Kyobo in Daegu. It's called "Someone Like You" and is a collection of fifteen of his story stories (not the fantasy kid stuff). I've always appreciated his short fiction. I read the first three yesterday. Great book!

« Reply #519 on: April 06, 2012, 12:38:53 pm »
Yesterday I picked up a Roald Dahl book at Kyobo in Daegu. It's called "Someone Like You" and is a collection of fifteen of his story stories (not the fantasy kid stuff). I've always appreciated his short fiction. I read the first three yesterday. Great book!

I have a great big omnibus of all his short stories, about 800 pages. I love dipping into it from time to time, it never fails to surprise. Much of it is definitely not kids' stuff. Lot's of violence and blood and guts and seedy characters and a ton of surrealism. I think it's this one. http://www.amazon.com/Collected-Short-Stories-Roald-Dahl/dp/0718135458/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1333686832&sr=8-13
Well worth it if you can get your hands on a copy.