Read 286038 times

Re: What Books are you reading???? just curious!
« Reply #480 on: January 28, 2012, 11:38:12 pm »

You know nothing, Rusty Shackleford.

(Not a jab in case you don't catch the reference :3)

Haha, exactly! I find it even more prevalent in the inner dialogue for characters though.  For example Bran always saying how he wished he could be a knight, over and over. Another bad one a little more recent (won't give names for fear of spoilers) is the one guy who won't shut up about the crossbow quarrel and his father.  It just tends to get on my nerves after reading the same sentence 5 times.

« Reply #481 on: January 29, 2012, 06:41:41 pm »
The best book I've recently read is Revolutionary Road by Peter Yates. His writing is wonderful and his observations on suburban US culture are still as insightful ass they were fifty years ago.

« Reply #482 on: January 29, 2012, 10:55:23 pm »
insightful ass

Tell me mo'... tell me more....!   :D

• SpaceRook
  • Expert Waygook

• November 18, 2010, 11:54:36 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #483 on: January 31, 2012, 10:26:57 am »
I'm currently reading the Steve Jobs biography by Walter Isaacson.  It's pretty entertaining.  Even if you're not an Apple guy (and I'm not), it's a good history lesson of the last 40 years of computing.  My only complaint is that, even at 600 pages, it still seems to be a little shallow in places. 

• TriKorea
  • Veteran

• December 20, 2010, 09:17:19 am
    • Anseong City
« Reply #484 on: February 04, 2012, 01:05:18 pm »
Just started "Eat, Pray, Love" :) So far it's great (but just like the movie)
www.iherb.com great place to get Gluten Free products, vitamins, and workout supplements shipped to the ROK for only $4... ******$5 off your first order with this code UPE657 ******

Living for Adventure!

• Harpoinseoul
  • Expert Waygook

• March 23, 2011, 06:49:03 pm
    • Coquitlam, BC
    more
« Reply #485 on: March 16, 2012, 06:48:07 am »
Reading "Change Your Thoughts-Change Your Life" by Dr. Wayne Dyer. It's a commentary on Daoism. A very good read filled with lots of ancient wisdom.
Skype Video Counselor in Coquitlam, BC

Make the best use of what's in your power; take the rest as it comes.

The thing that upsets people is not what happens; but what they think it means.

Epictetus (55 - 135 C.E.)

Inter-faith spiritual counselor
http://www.harpo.ca

• TheWB18
  • Expert Waygook

• October 27, 2011, 07:51:30 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #486 on: March 16, 2012, 07:36:43 am »
About to start Last Exit to Brooklyn.

• Tiamat
  • Adventurer

• March 15, 2012, 08:29:50 am
    • chungnam, Korea
« Reply #487 on: March 16, 2012, 08:04:09 am »
I finished "Extremely loud and incredibly close" by Jonathan Safranfoer this morning on the bus. Wow, what a journey!

• Tiamat
  • Adventurer

• March 15, 2012, 08:29:50 am
    • chungnam, Korea
« Reply #488 on: March 16, 2012, 11:56:30 am »
I finished "Extremely loud and incredibly close" by Jonathan Safranfoer this morning on the bus. Wow, what a journey!

This is such a wonderful book. I wish I could read it for the first time again.

These days, I'm still slogging through the giant and weighty collection of dragonbooks known as the Malazan series. Because I'm a giant dork.

I was told that I would hate the ending. Apparently there was much criticism about the book in general. I, however, thought it was amazing and that there couldn't have been a better/more appropriate ending.

The Malazan series? I've never heard of it. How many books are in the series and is it worth to start reading it?

« Reply #489 on: March 16, 2012, 12:38:35 pm »

Great book. I like Selby's portrayal of an earlier, grittier, nyc. If you haven't already, you should check out some of Burroughs' works. I just read Junkie by him a few months ago and have Naked Lunch on my Kindle in a long, long backlog of books to read.

• TheWB18
  • Expert Waygook

• October 27, 2011, 07:51:30 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #490 on: March 16, 2012, 01:03:06 pm »

Great book. I like Selby's portrayal of an earlier, grittier, nyc. If you haven't already, you should check out some of Burroughs' works. I just read Junkie by him a few months ago and have Naked Lunch on my Kindle in a long, long backlog of books to read.

I loved Junkie.  A few years ago I tore through a decent amount of Kerouac and Burroughs and Ginsberg, haven't gone back since but I might.  Luckily (I guess? maybe not) I don't have a Kindle so my backlog is just a couple.  Missing all my books at home, actually.

• chasmmi
  • Veteran

• January 21, 2012, 02:30:06 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #491 on: March 16, 2012, 01:15:18 pm »
Check out The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo books. The yare pretty amazing. They beat Dan Brown's boels any day of the week.

BUt to be fair, Alphabet spaghetti is a more compelling read than a Dan Brown Book.

I'm doing some literature style classes with my students so am currently reading about 10 or 12 books silmultaneously.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
The BFG
James and the Giant Peach:

White Fang
Dracula
Howl's Moving Castle

Marley and Me
The Alchemist
Life of Pi

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Captain Corelli's Mandolin

There is not a weak book there in my opinion and I still maintain Captain Corelli's Mandolin to be one of the best books ever written. Especially for strength of characters.

My main problem is that my favourite authors seem to either be dead, or write about 1 book every 5-10 years.

Louis De Bernieres
Douglas Adams
Thomas Harris
Roald Dahl (at least when I was younger and would still read a new Dahl book if one was ever discoverd just because)

Saying that, The Alchemist was good so I may give Coelho another whirl once I have got through this lot. 

• notanartist
  • Veteran

• June 08, 2011, 02:43:35 pm
    • Hwajeong, Goyang-si, Gyeonggi-do, Korea
« Reply #492 on: March 16, 2012, 01:54:46 pm »
I just read The China Lover by Ian Buruma.  It's about a Japanese singer posing as Chinese during WWII a decade or two after.  It's told through the point of view of three men - two Japanese and one American.  (The woman who the book is "about" doesn't get a voice in the book.)  Reading about the culture clashes highlights a lot about Japanese culture and its Confucian origins, and I think a lot of things apply to Korea, too.  It made me think a lot about the foundations of our (American/western) culture.  I definitely recommend it, especially if you're starting to get frustrated with the way things are done in Korea.

• kps1
  • Expert Waygook

• June 04, 2010, 08:20:13 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #493 on: March 16, 2012, 01:59:36 pm »
I just read some of steve niles omnibus comics, then DC's Identity Crisis. My buddy recommended V for Vendetta and I'm having the hardest time reading it because its so cheesy and the dialogue is terrible. I also just read three warhammer books, was never into that kind of stuff, but it was pretty cool.

• Aqvm
  • Expert Waygook

• March 09, 2012, 06:55:24 am
« Reply #494 on: March 16, 2012, 02:23:03 pm »
I'm working my way through all of Graham Greene's books right now. Finished Our Man in Havana recently and will re-read The Quiet American next week.

« Reply #495 on: March 16, 2012, 02:50:06 pm »
Now I'm reading Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. I'm only about 30 pages in so I don't know if I like it or not yet!

I also just finished The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini and I really enjoyed it, although it's very sad! It was one of the most heartbreaking books I've read in a long time, and very well written, I thought. I have to admit that before I read this book I only had a vague understanding of Afghanistan's recent history and the things that devastated the country even before American troops were sent there. The novel's descriptions of the Taliban are particularly frightening. But the book itself is more the story of the friendship between two boys and the very different paths their lives take in the midst of all this violence. 

Before that, I read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (suspenseful but not one of my favorites), Emma by Jane Austin (blah until the last third or so), The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (I really liked this one), and Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier (liked this too!). 

« Reply #496 on: March 16, 2012, 04:57:28 pm »
Blood Meridian is certainly a little different from the other books in your list. Have you read any of his other work? I'd recommend reading No Country For Old Men or The Road before diving into Blood Meridian. It's not an easy read by any stretch.

I'm reading a bio of Vladimir Putin right now because I realised I knew nothing about him and this one was featured on the Daily Show.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Man-Without-Face-Unlikely/dp/1594488428/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331888192&sr=8-1

• flasyb
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 30, 2010, 12:10:03 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #497 on: March 17, 2012, 01:29:02 am »
Blood Meridian is certainly a little different from the other books in your list. Have you read any of his other work? I'd recommend reading No Country For Old Men or The Road before diving into Blood Meridian. It's not an easy read by any stretch.

I'm reading a bio of Vladimir Putin right now because I realised I knew nothing about him and this one was featured on the Daily Show.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Man-Without-Face-Unlikely/dp/1594488428/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331888192&sr=8-1

I'd go for All the Pretty Horses (or even the entire Border Trilogy) first. Cormac is my favourite writer. Blood Meridian is Cormac at his best but it might not be the first novel of his that I'd recommend. All the Pretty Horses is the most Romantic book I've ever read and I'm not ashamed to admit that I shed more than a few tears over it. Funnily enough, the name of the book sounds really "girly" but a rough synopsis would be, "Boy, 15(?), loses entire family and only means of living (horses) in raid. Resolves to chase raiders to Mexico and get horses back." Not the most stereotypical "girly" storyline that I can think of.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

« Reply #498 on: March 17, 2012, 10:16:33 am »

I'd go for All the Pretty Horses (or even the entire Border Trilogy) first. Cormac is my favourite writer. Blood Meridian is Cormac at his best but it might not be the first novel of his that I'd recommend. All the Pretty Horses is the most Romantic book I've ever read and I'm not ashamed to admit that I shed more than a few tears over it. Funnily enough, the name of the book sounds really "girly" but a rough synopsis would be, "Boy, 15(?), loses entire family and only means of living (horses) in raid. Resolves to chase raiders to Mexico and get horses back." Not the most stereotypical "girly" storyline that I can think of.

Good choice. I haven't actually read All The Pretty Horses, but I was going to recommend it, anyway.

Blood Meridian was so dense and everything is a reference to a reference. I genuinely hated it in patches when I read it about 5 years ago. I remember thinking, why doesn't he just tell the story? That's my fault, not the book, though. I'm thinking about reading it again, but I have about 8 books on the go at the moment, so it might have to wait.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #499 on: March 17, 2012, 12:26:31 pm »
Silent Thunder: In the Presence of Elephants by Katy Payne
The Gay Science by Friedrich Nietzsche
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
The Infinite Plan by Isabel Allende
The Youngest Goalie by Brian McFarlane

These are the books with bookmarks in them, on my bathroom and beach shelf, partially read, sure to be done in the next few weeks.

I dunno why people like to talk about books they are reading (or haven't even read!!). I would MUCH rather talk about books I have FINISHED reading, as it is AFTER one is done with a book that one either wants it to continue via thought and discussion or else one wants to warn others to stay away from it. I rarely wish to talk about a book I'm actually in the middle of. It's like talking during a movie.

Books I've recently finished:

A Peep into Korea by Kevin J. Hayes. It's on par with Dispatches from the Peninsula by Chris Tharp, both blog-like writing and equally poor book editing. Both written about prejudices and excesses of foreigners in Korea though intended as an outsider's perspective of the culture. Both unworthy of a second thought, full of "impressions", so it would hardly be fair to point out the many factual inaccuracies based on personal experiences. Really, both texts are for those who taught here a year and pine to re-live the inane initial experiences.

I've been re-reading Korea Bug by J. Scott Burgeson, a complilation of zine interviews and stories from the nineties, very interesting and insightful about the history and culture and people one finds in South Korea, both traditional folk like mudang and foreigners like filipinos in Seoul. It's one book I love re-reading about this country. The interview with a bbondegi manufacturer is awesome for advanced classes. The Jesus-came-to-Korea legend is memorable! I recommend this book.

I just finished Shadrin has scored for Russia! by Kevin Sylvester and it's a hilarious what-if take on hockey's future in a world in which the Soviets rather than Canada won the 1972 Summit Series. It's a small CBC publication by the sports reporter of CBC Radio 1. Pretty funny.

I don't recommend Hockey Dreams by David Adams Richards, a memoir by a hockey fan, which is so ultra-nationalist Canadian that anyone who doesn't think Don Cherry is totally awesome would find bothersome. The author has written some reputable fiction but this life account of his childhood is hard to stomach with its continual chest thumping for his country (mine too) and his lament over foreign involvement in what he doesn't see as the "growth" of the game. He's a small town New Brunswickian with a huge chip on his shoulder. A waste of time to read. (The spelling of Steve Izerman and Peter Forsburg really hurt my eyes too.)

I recently re-read How to be Idle by Tom Hodgkinson, a Brit's reflection on a life less busy, more relaxed, chatty, basically an appreciation of life away from work for those who work a lot. He is trying explicitly to support through philosophical and literary historical references a lifestyle that's anti-capitalist, but he comes across as a pub-crawling middle class whiner. The first time I read it I found the ideas awesome, but on re-read a few years later I find him immature and worse, pimping a perspective that is only possible from within the overworked lifestyle he seeks to escape. That is to say, once one gets out of the rat race, his prescriptions seem less applicable. It's a book for those who want to be idle because they are too busy working. That's not me nowadays.

Horton Hears a Who! by Dr. Seuss. A diappointment on first read as I had thought it would be like many of his other books: a good resource for class lessons. But then as bathroom reading I started re-reading it OUT LOUD and suddenly its rhymes and pacing were magical. I should have known better and read it aloud the first time! I've read it several times and am eager to try it out with an advanced class in the coming week.

The Far Side Gallery 4 by Gary Larson. The wolf driving into the city full of straw towers, thinking "Oh man, I've been away too long." :laugh: A bottomless resource of class-starting discussion, especially since one bus is often late, so a couple of minutes of interesting asides to the main lesson is worthwhile.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 12:52:24 pm by VanIslander »