Read 286044 times

Re: What Books are you reading???? just curious!
« Reply #440 on: September 28, 2011, 08:31:07 am »
http://www.amazon.com/Fletch-Gregory-Mcdonald/dp/0375713549/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1316999711&sr=1-1

Just finished this in one sitting. One of the funnest books I've read in a long time. Will get onto the next one soon.

Should finish A Confederacy Of Dunces this week. I can see what the big deal is about. I can't see why they haven't made a movie of it yet.

That's one that just wouldn't translate to the big screen.  Most of the meat of the novel is what goes through his mind and the rest is just to farcical toi be a movie.  It would have to be contemporised and would end up being a bad version of the office or something.

« Reply #441 on: September 28, 2011, 08:34:45 am »
dorian gray, excellent book, classic.

• namerae
  • Featured Contributor

• September 26, 2011, 09:38:41 am
    • Anyang, South Korea
« Reply #442 on: September 28, 2011, 09:02:46 am »
I just finished rereading The Giver, by Lois Lowry.
It wasn't bad for 140(~) pages. Now I'm itching to read Ender's Game again.

« Reply #443 on: September 28, 2011, 09:22:47 am »
Literally no discussion at all.

So symptomatic of today's 'me' culture.  Everyone puts there little piece of themselves out there - lists their books  - and barely any interaction or discussion at all.

So we have a list of books.  Wow.

• flasyb
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 30, 2010, 12:10:03 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #444 on: September 28, 2011, 09:27:53 am »
Literally no discussion at all.

So symptomatic of today's 'me' culture.  Everyone puts there little piece of themselves out there - lists their books  - and barely any interaction or discussion at all.

So we have a list of books.  Wow.

I think of it as a thread to help the new guys get to the 5 post mark.

If it restores a small amount of your faith in humanity, I had a brief chat with a guy about "Shantaram" a few pages back.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

« Reply #445 on: September 28, 2011, 10:20:43 am »
Ha ha, funny.

I just had the thought that Dwight Schrute is essentially a modern day Ignatious.

Ha ha.

it is a great book.

« Reply #446 on: September 28, 2011, 12:07:36 pm »
I just read the hunger games, it was not overly difficult to read but I liked the plot and the themes. It is well written. The sad thing it is a trilogy so I now have to scour Korea to find the second and third installments!

« Reply #447 on: September 28, 2011, 01:18:15 pm »
Just starting The God Delusion been really engaging so far, very simply written without feeling like things have been over-simplified for mass consumption.

• flasyb
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 30, 2010, 12:10:03 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #448 on: September 28, 2011, 01:31:33 pm »
Just starting The God Delusion been really engaging so far, very simply written without feeling like things have been over-simplified for mass consumption.

I got it for Christmas a few years back. Pretty good although Hitch is my man. I recently read Hitchen's "God is not Great." Absolutely loved it. I think the God Delusion goes quite well if you watch Dawkins' "the Age of Reason" that showed on channel 4 in the UK a while back.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

« Reply #449 on: September 28, 2011, 03:17:50 pm »
I'm reading Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson. Totally puts us being here in perspective. A great read!

• jigumjogum
  • Waygookin

• September 06, 2011, 01:41:30 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #450 on: September 29, 2011, 08:38:22 am »
"Flow"--I hope it helps  :) But interesting nonetheless.

« Reply #451 on: September 29, 2011, 10:22:58 am »
Perhaps ppl could elaborate a little on why the books are good.  Not a full critique or review or report, but a little about the writing style, characters, plotlines etc...?

« Reply #452 on: September 30, 2011, 02:06:27 pm »
outliers by malcolm gladwell.

it's a very interesting read!

• reb3444
  • Veteran

• June 04, 2010, 09:32:48 am
    • Incheon, South Korea
« Reply #453 on: September 30, 2011, 03:11:39 pm »
I am reading "A Feast for Crows" - it is really good and I seem to not be able to put it down.  Good thing that I am not having to teach this week or the next at my school.  IT really is a page turner.

• davidcfs
  • Adventurer

• August 26, 2011, 03:38:36 pm
    • Gumi
« Reply #454 on: September 30, 2011, 05:38:13 pm »
Villa Incognito by Tom Robbins. I was thoroughly enjoying the humor in the beginning, but it seems to have taken a more serious tone in the later parts.

• Intrepid
  • Adventurer

• December 17, 2010, 07:26:58 pm
    • korea
« Reply #455 on: October 01, 2011, 12:06:19 pm »
Hi,

Great thread! I'm reading "The Magus" by John Fowles. It's unputdownable!

« Reply #456 on: October 02, 2011, 06:28:29 pm »
"April 1865"
Civil war. Excellent book if you like US history.

• dhamel
  • Explorer

• September 03, 2011, 07:39:04 pm
    • Daejeon, South Korea
« Reply #457 on: October 02, 2011, 08:45:55 pm »
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami. I read it for the first time last year and decided to re-read it. I highly recommend all of his books, I have read them all and love them all.

« Reply #458 on: October 03, 2011, 08:34:24 am »
Someone earlier mentiond fire and ice.  So that shall be the theme of my post.

Recently finished Australian writer Tim Winton's 'Breath.'

A coming of age story set in 1970's rural Australian fishing / milling town, two young boys experiment with holding their breath underwater to scare tourists and end up hooked on danger and are initiated into the world of surfing, under the dubious tutalage of local legend 'Sando' a wild semi loner and hero who roams the world seeking the most dangerous giant waves to ride.  Their lust for danger leads them to surf massive storm fronts, shark infested waters in an attempt to 'dance,' defy nature, their fears and to win aproval from each other.  I wont go any farther as it would spoil the plot.

This guy is a very gifted prose stylist; when he is writing about the natural settings, the surfing, the waves, the atmosphere, you are simply there, feeling what it is like to ride in on a 20 footer and then to be dragged under the merciless furious ocean and thrown around like a rag doll and to emerge seeing stars and battered and bruised but euphoric.  You'll find yourself needing to breath yourself.

This book is heat.  Nothing fancy or pretentious or academic, a vivid, nutsy and gutsy punch to the gut of heady testosterone, sex, lust, teenage confusion, growth and loss.

Just started Bulgakov's 'The Master and Margeruita.'  This is ice.

Pure intellectual titilation and dark humor so far, three chapters in.  Fantastic satire, the way only Russian writers writing about fellow Russians and their strengths and foibles are able to do.  The second chapter in which the Devil describes the sentencing of Jesus by Pontius Pilot and the conversations between the two was funny and clever and the end of the third chapter where one of the protagonists is decapitated by a street car is worthy of Gogol.

I'm really looking forward to getting on with this book.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 08:37:22 am by DWAEDGIMORIGUKBAP »

« Reply #459 on: October 04, 2011, 11:52:35 am »
I'm reading Jack Londons books at the moment. Call of the wild, White fang. Both are very primal. but i liked his short stories because they are more intense.