Read 286074 times

Re: What Books are you reading???? just curious!
« Reply #420 on: September 21, 2011, 07:44:33 am »
I was reading the Sword of Truth series (Terry Goodkind), but got to Chainfire and gave up. I think the first 5 books are good, but after it just gets too repetitive.

I've heard so much about G RR Martin that I started Game of Thrones, but couldn't totally get into it yet (I'll go back to it). So I've now started The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. I like it so far. (He's the guy finishing the Wheel of Time, which is my next target.)

I've also been revisiting Lord of the Rings. I'm taking it slow because it's something like my 4th time reading them.

« Reply #421 on: September 21, 2011, 10:52:07 am »
I am reading the Divine Comedy by Dante. I just finished  the Inferno. I read it in university and loved it, so I decided to go through it again. In addition I am reading the critique of Pure Reason by Kant.

• axbattai
  • Explorer

• January 04, 2011, 02:48:38 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #422 on: September 21, 2011, 11:27:28 am »
I'm currently reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and just finished House of Leaves.

« Reply #423 on: September 22, 2011, 01:33:25 pm »
Confederacy of Dunces was the best book I read all of last year.

What a character!  What adventures!  What a city-scape!

So sad the poor author never lived to see it's success and critical as well as popular acclaim!

Ha ha the images of Ignatious pushing round his little hotdog van and the problems with his 'valve!'
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 02:45:17 pm by DWAEDGIMORIGUKBAP »

• Periwinkle
  • Veteran

• December 13, 2010, 06:34:34 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #424 on: September 22, 2011, 01:41:03 pm »
Reading: Just finished "A Simple Plan" and started "The Help".

• shhowse
  • Featured Contributor

• August 25, 2009, 08:49:24 am
    • Mokpo
    more
« Reply #425 on: September 23, 2011, 12:47:44 pm »
I've started a new fiction called "Beaneath a marble Sky" by John Shors. It's a sotry around the empire building of the Taj Mahal in seventeenth-century Hindustan (India). I'm only a few pages in but seems like it should be an entertaining read.

• konayuki
  • Adventurer

• March 07, 2011, 09:22:09 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #426 on: September 23, 2011, 01:30:56 pm »
Isaac Asimov's Foundation and Empire

Herbert's DUNE was amazing. I'm going to alternate reading Asimov's Foundation series and Herbert's Dune series.

• DejaVu
  • Super Waygook

• April 17, 2011, 11:31:29 am
« Reply #427 on: September 23, 2011, 01:53:00 pm »
Confederacy of Dunces was the best book I read all of last year.

What a character!  What adventures!  What a city-scape!

So sad the poor author never lived to see it's success and critical as well as popular acclaim!

Ha ha the images of Ignatious pushing round his little hotdog van and the problems with his 'valve!'

My friend made it to Ignatius's lustful dog dreams before quitting the book for good.  It is sad.  He missed a good one.

« Reply #428 on: September 23, 2011, 02:18:40 pm »
elegance of the hedgehog is pretty good! just finished reading it.

• JohnnyBoy
  • Adventurer

• June 07, 2011, 03:21:18 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #429 on: September 23, 2011, 02:19:46 pm »
I'm reading "To Kill a Mockingbird", by Harper Lee... a classic, short sentences and simple words for a complicated story.

p.s. I'd be happy to pass along a few paperbacks on my book shelf....pm me if your interested in a copy.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 02:24:57 pm by JohnnyBoy »

« Reply #430 on: September 23, 2011, 03:36:05 pm »

Herbert's DUNE was amazing. I'm going to alternate reading Asimov's Foundation series and Herbert's Dune series.

I've tried to read Foundation at least six times. Can't get passed the first 100 pages.

Dune looks good.  I'm looking for a 'winter read.'

For me, this means an epic series that will be very absorbing and take a month or two at least to get through and save me from needing to go out and spend money over the winter...

Last time I went through the 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy.... 

• minamteacher
  • Expert Waygook

• October 05, 2010, 07:55:14 am
    • Incheon
    more
« Reply #431 on: September 26, 2011, 09:13:04 am »
hey guys, im new to everything, where can i find a good bookstore, with english books?im located near bupyeoung

Ok, you have a few options. In Incheon you can go to any Kyobo book store as they have a medium sized English book section [I picked up many a Malcolm Gladwell book there :)]. There is a Kyobo book store in the arts center area and I am sure there is one in Bupyeong too.  However, if you want a better selection you need to travel to 'what the book' http://www.whatthebook.com/index.html  in Itaewon. Also, there is a used book store called 'foreign book store' http://www.cnngo.com/seoul/shop/itaewon-foreign-bookstore

As for what I am reading now. I am reading the Big Short by Michael Lewis of moneyball fame. I just finished Angela's Ashes and plan on giving my collection of Malcolm Gladwell books a re-read soon.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 09:18:08 am by minamteacher »

• flasyb
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 30, 2010, 12:10:03 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #432 on: September 26, 2011, 09:16:07 am »
hey guys, im new to everything, where can i find a good bookstore, with english books?im located near bupyeoung

Ok, you have a few options. In Incheon you can go to any Kyobo book store as they have a medium sized English book section [I picked up many a Malcolm Gladwell book there :)]. There is a Kyobo book store in the arts center area and I am sure there is one in Bupyeong too.  However, if you want a better selection you need to travel to 'what the book' http://www.whatthebook.com/index.html  in Itaewon. Also, there is a used book store called 'foreign book store' http://www.cnngo.com/seoul/shop/itaewon-foreign-bookstore

Don't forget the potentially cheaper option of www.thebookdepository.co.uk

Free international shipping and book prices that are usually slightly cheaper than stores. That's if you don't mind waiting a little bit and want to forgo the pleasure of wandering around a bookshop and browsing the books in person.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

• konayuki
  • Adventurer

• March 07, 2011, 09:22:09 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #433 on: September 26, 2011, 09:19:22 am »

I've tried to read Foundation at least six times. Can't get passed the first 100 pages.

The first two or three chapters were a bit hard, but the ball does get rolling and it becomes much more interesting when they get out of Trantor and the story moves onto Terminus and Hari Seldon makes his first appearance from the Vault. I did have a couple of "woah" moments with the book, but I do agree the first pages are a bore.

« Reply #434 on: September 26, 2011, 09:29:20 am »
I really got into the "A Song of Fire and Ice" series, but I lost interest after the third book. The first two were amazing and the third was good, but the four one just seems to drone on.

• robanr
  • Explorer

• September 19, 2011, 09:53:27 am
    • Korea
« Reply #435 on: September 26, 2011, 06:30:47 pm »
Kerouac - I've been digging him lately and James Ellroy / two vastly different but entertaining authors.

« Reply #436 on: September 26, 2011, 07:02:10 pm »
I recently started getting back into fiction.

Read The Time Machine by H.G. Wells and haven't really found any new stuff to get into. Murakami is very good.

Right now I'm reading a History of the Soviet Union by Kenez. Found some really good ebooks packs online.

« Reply #437 on: September 27, 2011, 02:23:07 pm »
I'm readin The Eustace Diamonds by Anthony Trollope. A classic :)

• andmckvr13
  • Explorer

• September 08, 2011, 02:49:55 pm
    • Yeongdong
« Reply #438 on: September 27, 2011, 08:48:06 pm »
I've just started reading Game of Thrones by George R. Martin. I haven't watched the show yet, but the book is pretty good so far. I'm just finishing up "I hope they serve beer in hell" too which was a funny read.

• dmbpang
  • Explorer

• September 24, 2011, 06:44:56 am
« Reply #439 on: September 28, 2011, 08:20:09 am »
Check out The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo books. The yare pretty amazing. They beat Dan Brown's boels any day of the week. They are quite suspensful and really well-written in my opinion. If you do want to read the entire trilogy, just a heads up, they are quite long and the 2nd and 3rd book are one big story, so it feels never ending.