Read 286078 times

• thektulu7
  • Adventurer

• March 01, 2011, 10:39:02 pm
    • Gwangcheon, South Korea
Re: What Books are you reading???? just curious!
« Reply #280 on: June 01, 2011, 12:54:24 am »
Right now I'm 3/4 of the way through Joyce's Ulysses.  This book gets better every time I read it.
(emphasis added)

Show-off.  ;) I think it will be a while before I attempt a re-read of that book.

I just finished reading Ken Grimwood's Replay, which is one of the best books I have read in a while and probably the best "time travel" book I have read ever (not that I've read that many of them).

• Nizzy
  • Waygookin

• March 08, 2011, 10:33:56 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #281 on: June 01, 2011, 07:24:39 am »
Iím almost finished reading "A Game of Thrones" by George R. R. Martin. I got interested in it after starting to watch the new HBO drama based on the book. Both the drama and the book are A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. My life has new meaning now (if you are a fan of Martin youíll totally agree).

« Reply #282 on: June 01, 2011, 07:57:13 am »
Don't Sweat The Small Stuff...
   Very quick easy book to read, and will really help you look at certain aspects of life in a better way. 

Guerrilla Prince, Fidel Castro
    I love to read biographies. 

• lindsaydp1
  • Veteran

• August 24, 2010, 08:36:00 am
    • Yeongcheon, South Korea
« Reply #283 on: June 01, 2011, 10:48:39 am »
Just finished "To Kill a Mocking Bird."  I had never read it before, but I see why it is considered an American Classic!

TKAMB is my favourite book, aside from Beach Music by Pat Conroy:) I'm gonna name my kid Scout!

I just finished Conroy's South of Broad (if you're from Charlston you'll relate, I guess). It was good, but I've read Beach Music too many times and thus compared it and found many similarities, which kind of put me off it as I couldn't get into the new characters.

Right now I'm reading Rubyfruit Jungle by Rita Mae Brown. Yay for strong queer character!

• ali87
  • Explorer

• March 02, 2011, 11:13:40 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #284 on: June 15, 2011, 02:28:40 pm »
I just finished the Hunger Games trilogy and am having a hard time not picking them up to read them again.
SO GOOD!!

« Reply #285 on: June 15, 2011, 02:50:58 pm »
I'm currently reading The Green Home, a Sunset Design Guide and Amy Chua's book, Day of Empire.  I just finished Born to Run, which was a terrific story about the Tarahumara Indians of Mexico, who are ultrarunning super stars.  The overall thesis and theme is that humans were born to run, and when we stop running, that is when we really age and fall ill to the modern diseases like diabetes, etc.   Born to Run also presented a lot of information about why modern running shoes, with all the motion control, gel pads, etc may very well be bad for your feet because, as the book posits, they actually weaken your feet.  It really opened my eyes. 

« Reply #286 on: June 15, 2011, 02:58:43 pm »
i started reading a brief, overarching overview of korean history. it reads like a middle school text book and the editing is really bad..... i'm sure it was originally written in korean and then translated into english, but the translation isn't so good.... but it's a good read nonetheless and it's exciting to get some knowledge on korean history! i also have bruce cuming's "korea's place under the sun" which is a modern history dealing with 20th century korea and the division of the north and south. haven't started that one yet though...
happy reading!

(i also read a little something about "go the f**k to sleep", a "children's book for adults" hahaha)

« Reply #287 on: August 31, 2011, 02:13:21 pm »
Glad to see a book thread here. I picked up a Kindle a couple of years ago and have been reading a lot more since that time. I've gone through all of the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series two times and just recently finished reading the fifth book, "A Dance with Dragons". Right now I am working on "At the Mountains of Madness" by HP Lovecraft which is kind of interesting, but honestly, is also a little boring at times.

I dunno what I am going to read next. I am thinking about reading "Hyperion" next from Dan Simmons.

• yeti08
  • Super Waygook

• July 03, 2011, 12:58:29 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #288 on: August 31, 2011, 02:29:52 pm »
Also loving my Kindle here.  Not sure how I survived without it last year.

I am too reading the Song of Ice and Fire series right now. 

• TriKorea
  • Veteran

• December 20, 2010, 09:17:19 am
    • Anseong City
« Reply #289 on: August 31, 2011, 02:43:55 pm »
I'm currently reading The Green Home, a Sunset Design Guide and Amy Chua's book, Day of Empire.  I just finished Born to Run, which was a terrific story about the Tarahumara Indians of Mexico, who are ultrarunning super stars.  The overall thesis and theme is that humans were born to run, and when we stop running, that is when we really age and fall ill to the modern diseases like diabetes, etc.   Born to Run also presented a lot of information about why modern running shoes, with all the motion control, gel pads, etc may very well be bad for your feet because, as the book posits, they actually weaken your feet.  It really opened my eyes.

Born to run is one of my favorite books!!!! (I'm a running nerd) I just started reading The Long Run - by Matt Long; it's his story, he was hit/run over by a bus in 2005 and in 2009 ran a marathon then went on to do an ironman, after the accident he was only given a 1% chance to live. So far it's great!!!
www.iherb.com great place to get Gluten Free products, vitamins, and workout supplements shipped to the ROK for only $4... ******$5 off your first order with this code UPE657 ******

Living for Adventure!

• dlmunson13
  • Explorer

• August 31, 2011, 10:46:29 am
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #290 on: August 31, 2011, 02:46:52 pm »
Dharma Bums - Jack Keourac

follow up to 'On the Road'. Decent book, kind of evangelical and definitely not On the Road, but worth checking out. Really like the post topic btw :)

• TMLewis
  • Explorer

• August 31, 2011, 01:04:35 pm
    • busan
« Reply #291 on: August 31, 2011, 02:53:10 pm »
I'm re-reading The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan.  It's my favorite of her books.

• Kev20
  • Veteran

• August 24, 2011, 08:59:11 pm
    • Gumi-si
« Reply #292 on: August 31, 2011, 03:05:38 pm »
I'm reading Catch-22 again. It's my favourite.

« Reply #293 on: August 31, 2011, 03:20:09 pm »

Half way through Storm Of Swords on my Kindle. Both are awesome-o.
Oh man! A Storm of Swords is the best one in the series. So much craziness goes on in that book! You're in for a real treat.

I decided to change my plans. I am going to finally start reading the Lord of the Rings after I finish "At the Mountains of Madness".

• yeti08
  • Super Waygook

• July 03, 2011, 12:58:29 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #294 on: August 31, 2011, 03:32:40 pm »

Oh man! A Storm of Swords is the best one in the series. So much craziness goes on in that book! You're in for a real treat.

I decided to change my plans. I am going to finally start reading the Lord of the Rings after I finish "At the Mountains of Madness".

Dance With Dragons got average reviews. It side lines Tyrion apparently.

Haven't yet read it, on Crows right now.
I heard it just doesn't answer a lot and Martin is dragging his feet which is irritating people.  I understand the gripe, but I am still excited to get that far.

• tomcore
  • Waygookin

• August 31, 2011, 01:55:45 pm
    • Mokpo
« Reply #295 on: August 31, 2011, 03:42:04 pm »
I am currently reading At Home by Bill Bryson it is rather good.

« Reply #296 on: August 31, 2011, 06:51:19 pm »
I am currently reading Ursula K. Le Guin's Changing Planes.

• Kevin?
  • Explorer

• August 29, 2011, 04:16:00 pm
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #297 on: August 31, 2011, 07:37:33 pm »
I am currently reading IT by stephen king. it is really good so far, but quite the long haul, over 1,000 pages, but I am looking forward to reading such a long book, never have, and stephen king is one of my favorite authors.

« Reply #298 on: September 01, 2011, 04:49:04 am »

Dance With Dragons got average reviews. It side lines Tyrion apparently.

Haven't yet read it, on Crows right now.
I heard it just doesn't answer a lot and Martin is dragging his feet which is irritating people.  I understand the gripe, but I am still excited to get that far.
I didn't feel that way. I mean, I guess a lot of things are still left unanswered, but some new revelations also get revealed. But yes, the Tyrion chapters were really slow and not much really happens in them after a while. They start off very good, but towards the middle they start to kind of drag.

• jepho
  • Explorer

• September 01, 2011, 05:08:53 am
    • Gyeongsan, S.Korea
« Reply #299 on: September 01, 2011, 05:34:13 am »
I'm reading Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go. I also have Freakonomics, Crazy Love, and the Alchemist on the side.

...I'm hoping I'll buy a Kindle soon.