Read 286053 times

• hkg123
  • Veteran

• March 23, 2011, 02:07:15 pm
    • Korea
Re: What Books are you reading???? just curious!
« Reply #260 on: May 21, 2011, 09:52:07 am »
http://www.whatthebook.com/index.html  they even deliver for free!!!

The Book Depository (www.bookdepository.com) also delivers worldwide, free.

• hkg123
  • Veteran

• March 23, 2011, 02:07:15 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #261 on: May 21, 2011, 09:58:24 am »
Everyone on this thread seems to be posting super intellectual books. Is eveyone ashamed that they read Patricia Cornwell and other bestsellers?:)

I'm not at all ashamed to admit that I just finished another of Kathy Reich's books.  Not intellectual, true, but high in entertainment value!

• WTEChesser
  • Veteran

• November 19, 2010, 11:55:34 am
    • Teshikaga, Hokkaido, Japan
« Reply #262 on: May 21, 2011, 10:16:38 am »
Everyone on this thread seems to be posting super intellectual books. Is eveyone ashamed that they read Patricia Cornwell and other bestsellers?:)

I'm not at all ashamed to admit that I just finished another of Kathy Reich's books.  Not intellectual, true, but high in entertainment value!

Crime novels and chick lit are great for holding on to colloquialisms. I picked up a copy of The Devil Wears Prada last week. I am shocked at how much slang had escaped me. Also, I haven't laughed that hard in a while.

• WTEChesser
  • Veteran

• November 19, 2010, 11:55:34 am
    • Teshikaga, Hokkaido, Japan
« Reply #263 on: May 21, 2011, 10:24:25 am »
http://www.whatthebook.com/index.html  they even deliver for free!!!

The Book Depository (www.bookdepository.com) also delivers worldwide, free.

This is awesome! Thank you.

« Reply #264 on: May 21, 2011, 11:04:44 pm »
Just finished One Hundred Years of Solitude and started Notes from the Underground.

• lduende
  • Explorer

• November 15, 2010, 01:09:05 pm
    • noneofyerbiz
« Reply #265 on: May 23, 2011, 09:09:34 am »
The Class Struggle in the Ancient Greek World:  From the Archaic Age to the Arab Conquests
by G.E.M. de Ste. Croix

• travelinpantsgirl
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #266 on: May 23, 2011, 09:16:53 am »
Read "Naked" By David Sedaris. It was awesome. I still want to read "Me Talk Pretty One Day" any chance it's a paperback and you want to lend or sell to me?

;D

quote author=lindsaydp1 link=topic=9249.msg95901#msg95901 date=1305611598]
I've been on a reading kick since a billion people on here mentioned whatthebook.com. Ordered five and have read 3 in the past 2 weeks. The first was a book called My name is Mary Sutter, about a woman who wants to be come a surgeon in the US Civil War. It was ok, interesting in terms of historical imagery for someone who isn't American.

Then I read David Sedaris's Me talk pretty one day, which was HILARIOUS! Gonna order some more of his stuff.

Then this morning I finished Jodi Picoult's new one, Sing you home. It was excellent (maybe cos I could relate to the gay rights issue) and Had me wanting to throw the book across the room at times. Damn right wing bible bashers! Anyway, it was really good and I'm keen to see what Ellen Degeneres does with the movie rights.

Next up: A fantasy novel by Malinda Lo called Huntress. It's YA, but her first book called Ash was brilliant, a kind of Cinderella revamp:)

[/quote]
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

• Browncoat Japhy
  • Veteran

• April 23, 2011, 08:32:30 pm
    • Taebaek
    more
« Reply #267 on: May 24, 2011, 09:15:38 am »
I just got the newest Christopher Moore book "Bite Me" it is the third book in the Blood Sucking Fiends trilogy. If you like ridiculous and hilarious stories then I would definitely suggest Christopher Moore. Island of the Sequined Love Nun, Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove, and A Dirty Job are all very clever and funny. You can probably find his books at Whatthebook used or new.

• launch
  • Explorer

• July 14, 2010, 09:19:13 am
    • Korea
« Reply #268 on: May 24, 2011, 10:16:14 am »
Don't Try This At Home - Dave Navarro

« Reply #269 on: May 24, 2011, 10:19:48 am »
The Three Battlegrounds by Francis Frangipane

• ramasatti
  • Waygookin

• May 24, 2011, 07:50:13 am
    • Yeoju-gun, South Korea
« Reply #270 on: May 26, 2011, 11:52:16 am »
I'm currently reading Marvel's Civil War and Batman:R.I.P., But I also have a few hundred films. I'm stocked for entertainment.

« Reply #271 on: May 26, 2011, 01:11:26 pm »
Anna Karenina - by leo tolstoy

Alot of Kurt Vonnegut

the 4 hour body - Tim Ferriss (cheesy name but solid science and results)

• Plaswuff
  • Veteran

• March 04, 2011, 02:36:06 pm
    • Yeosu
« Reply #272 on: May 26, 2011, 01:45:06 pm »
Browsing H.P Lovecraft's collected works--There is just something about "Call of Cthulhu."

The Plague--Albert Camus(just finished)

Non-Fiction
The Day Freedom Died--Charles Lane
A history book concerning the Colfax Massacre.

Was the plague any good? I started it and got sidetracked, the first fifty odd pages didn't strike me as anything particularly amazing, but I've heard it gets better as you go along.

« Reply #273 on: May 26, 2011, 02:50:03 pm »
Eat, Pray, Love is one of the worst books I've ever read.  (I picked it up while traveling around Bali.)  Sorry to anyone who liked it--I understand the appeal.  The premise IS very attractive.

But Elizabeth Gilbert is an awful writer.  Her prose reads like a high school essay.  (For instance, it's full of meaningless descriptions like "it was the funniest experience of my life" or "he was the funniest person I've ever met".)

I also know for a fact that she exaggerates heavily.  One example: At the end of the book, she describes an island called Gili Trawangan as an white-sand island paradise strewn with palm trees.  I was actually ON THAT ISLAND as I read this part of the book, and the island has no palm trees.  It's a minor point, but calls into question her integrity.  For her, everything has to be the "most" this or the "best" that.  Since this island is her favorite place on earth, it couldn't NOT have palm trees!

She sounds like someone I'd enjoy being friends with.  She's a passionate person and I like hearing her interviewed.

• renny
  • Explorer

• October 05, 2010, 02:25:14 pm
    • south korea
« Reply #274 on: May 26, 2011, 02:54:11 pm »
i am currently reading the first harry potter book , after watching the last movie after reading the book , i realised hw much was left out in the movie so im going back to see what was left out from the beginning, huge harry potter fan

« Reply #275 on: May 31, 2011, 09:51:52 am »
Just finished reading "A thousand splendid suns" by Khaled Hosseini. Brilliant author.

• mountaingoat
  • Adventurer

• March 28, 2011, 07:47:27 am
    • Taebaek, Gangwon-do
« Reply #276 on: May 31, 2011, 10:05:38 am »
I second bonsaitreehugger. I had to force myself to finish Eat, Pray, Love and I usually like just about everything that I read.

Right now I'm reading Eating the Dinosaur by Chuck Klosterman. It's great if you want to read in spurts because it's basically a collection of essays on... well everything. Time travel, Nirvana, Garth Brooks, Ralph Sampson, Road Movies, Voyeurism... If you like reading about pop culture and music and occasionally sports, I would recommend any of his stuff. It's pretty snappy.

• Browncoat Japhy
  • Veteran

• April 23, 2011, 08:32:30 pm
    • Taebaek
    more
« Reply #277 on: May 31, 2011, 12:24:05 pm »
I just finished Dave Gorman's Googlewhack Adventures and I have to say that it is a must read if you like to laugh. Dave Gorman is hilarious and this book is great. I know that you can download it for Kindle. I bought it at Whatthebook.

The basic plot (if you don't know) is that this comedian gets a lot of money for a book deal and instead spends it playing an internet game (googlewhacking) and traveling the world.

« Reply #278 on: May 31, 2011, 08:09:04 pm »
Just finished "To Kill a Mocking Bird."  I had never read it before, but I see why it is considered an American Classic!

« Reply #279 on: June 01, 2011, 12:21:09 am »
Right now I'm 3/4 of the way through Joyce's Ulysses.  This book gets better every time I read it.