Read 286034 times

• HaLo3
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 02, 2014, 08:19:08 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
Re: What Books are you reading???? just curious!
« Reply #1020 on: April 26, 2018, 11:35:00 am »
I went and spent a fortune at a used bookstore after work yesterday.

I'm way more into fiction. I always resolve to read more non-fiction though and I think I definitely should.

I'm just finishing up "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"..... I have that wonderful, wonderful moment of choosing my next book :) I'm thinking "It" (the size of which keeps putting me off) or "The Goldfinch".

I like how Korea makes me read things I never normally would, since I rely on the one store where I live or book swaps etc.
If it helps, I really enjoyed "The Goldfinch," haha.

• debbiem89
  • Super Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #1021 on: April 26, 2018, 01:01:06 pm »
I went and spent a fortune at a used bookstore after work yesterday.

I'm way more into fiction. I always resolve to read more non-fiction though and I think I definitely should.

I'm just finishing up "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"..... I have that wonderful, wonderful moment of choosing my next book :) I'm thinking "It" (the size of which keeps putting me off) or "The Goldfinch".

I like how Korea makes me read things I never normally would, since I rely on the one store where I live or book swaps etc.
If it helps, I really enjoyed "The Goldfinch," haha.

Cheers! It might be that one next then :) I've heard a lot about it so I'm intrigued.

• kea.kate
  • Adventurer

• April 04, 2018, 08:32:26 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #1022 on: April 27, 2018, 04:59:06 am »

Alright games I can sympathize with, my sister did the same -_- soon as she saw me playing it was "her turn" immediately. 

Have you already seen all of the movies or is it first time?? 4th and 5th books might be my favorites I'm excited for yoouuuu now I wanna read again!

I just started the 4th book this morning :D

It was tradition when I was a kid to see the movies with my grandparents, mom and sister when they came out in theater. We stopped after the 5th but I still remember it fondly.

I've never read past halfway through the 4th book so this is gonna be a new adventure for sure for me.

5th book was like the most frustrating thing ever.... so good but...certain characters I wanted to jump through the page and punch in the face @.@

• Bingsu
  • Veteran

• March 08, 2017, 12:32:17 am
    • United States
« Reply #1023 on: April 27, 2018, 07:19:51 am »

5th book was like the most frustrating thing ever.... so good but...certain characters I wanted to jump through the page and punch in the face @.@

Book 3 for me was so infuriating because of Snape. I hate how in the movie he's portrayed differently, still a jackass but not as pure shit like the book, and where tf was Crookshanks???  It's been years since I've watched the 3rd movie but I don't recall him being as nearly as important to the story there.

• Challen13
  • Adventurer

• July 11, 2016, 12:37:44 pm
    • Masan, South Korea
« Reply #1024 on: April 27, 2018, 08:20:49 am »
Started reading the newest instalment by Dan Brown this week, Origin. I've always enjoyed the combination of the history and mystery that he creates in his books. This despite how it can come across as complete nonsense to some at times. Next on the list is Sapiens and then a complete genre change to something biographical.

« Reply #1025 on: April 27, 2018, 10:09:23 am »
  Just joined; still working on getting the requisite number of posts, but, here goes:

THOMAS SOWELL: Intellectuals and Race

AYAAN HIRSI ALI: Heretic

DOUGLAS MURRAY: The Strange Death of Europe

PETER SCHWEIZER" Secret Empires

I'm not on ANY form of social media (Facebook, Instagram, etc.) so I do a lot of reading - mostly Non-fiction.

• kea.kate
  • Adventurer

• Seoul
« Reply #1026 on: April 28, 2018, 12:38:24 am »

Book 3 for me was so infuriating because of Snape. I hate how in the movie he's portrayed differently, still a jackass but not as pure shit like the book, and where tf was Crookshanks???  It's been years since I've watched the 3rd movie but I don't recall him being as nearly as important to the story there.

Yeah he's pretty nasty in book 3 certain parts!! It's so friggin upsetting how Harry finally finds his godfather and then that's taken away from him too. He has the worst luck ever :(

They seriously cut so much out of the movies, I barely even remember seeing Crookshanks at all. I wanna go to Harry Potter world and buy a bunch of stuff!!!

• Bingsu
  • Veteran

• March 08, 2017, 12:32:17 am
    • United States
« Reply #1027 on: April 28, 2018, 08:13:04 am »

Yeah he's pretty nasty in book 3 certain parts!! It's so friggin upsetting how Harry finally finds his godfather and then that's taken away from him too. He has the worst luck ever :(

They seriously cut so much out of the movies, I barely even remember seeing Crookshanks at all. I wanna go to Harry Potter world and buy a bunch of stuff!!!

Ssssaame. I've been furiously searching for a leather satchel that I can get shipped here so I can just pin a little Ravenclaw emblem on the front and pretend I don't suck ass at studying lmao.

Now if I can just find butterscotch at homeplus to make butterbeer, I'm all set.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #1028 on: April 29, 2018, 11:54:55 pm »
I recently came across a book I've read twice before but was hungry to read again after so many years...

Edith Warton's The House of Mirth.

It is incredible and has a layer of meaning for a he descent of man, er, woman, er a person, in a society one tries to fit into but doesn't accept you.

• denimdaze
  • Expert Waygook

• December 30, 2010, 04:46:58 pm
    • USA
« Reply #1029 on: April 30, 2018, 02:43:07 am »
I recently came across a book I've read twice before but was hungry to read again after so many years...

Edith Warton's The House of Mirth.

It is incredible and has a layer of meaning for a he descent of man, er, woman, er a person, in a society one tries to fit into but doesn't accept you.
I listened to this as an audiobook.  Wharton had good insight to human nature.  I also read her book The Custom of the Country.  It's about a woman who cares only about herself and ruins those around her.  I think she was the forerunner to female soap opera villains.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #1030 on: April 30, 2018, 02:05:13 pm »
Before the end of the year I want to read

Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky
Purity by Jonathan Franzen
Brave New World* (and Revisited) by Huxley
How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
The Quiet American*/Brighton Rock* by Graham Greene
Blunder by Zachary Shore
Hitchens Vs Blair
Flirtology by Jean Smith
Who Moved my Cheese? by  Spencer Johnson
Lolita by Nabokov
Dragon Tattoo Series* by Stieg Larsson
No More Mr. Nice Guy by  Robert A. Glover
Gulag Archipelago by    Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

* means I've already read it.

The joys of fauxtherhood

• kea.kate
  • Adventurer

• Seoul
« Reply #1031 on: May 01, 2018, 02:12:46 am »

Ssssaame. I've been furiously searching for a leather satchel that I can get shipped here so I can just pin a little Ravenclaw emblem on the front and pretend I don't suck ass at studying lmao.

Now if I can just find butterscotch at homeplus to make butterbeer, I'm all set.

Wait did you take the Pottermore house quiz also?? I'm Ravenclaw toooooooo~~

I kinda liked studying though. You're still in school? I'm done but wanna go back. I miss learning stuff hahaah. Also less responsibility than having a job -_-

Japan has a Harry Potter world though! So not too far! Although it seems weird to imagine everyone speaking Japanese in all the stores on Diagon Alley  :shocked:

• ESLTurtle
  • Super Waygook

• October 25, 2017, 07:58:46 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #1032 on: May 01, 2018, 01:40:58 pm »
Bro i'm reading TOEFL books, it's what my institution is making me teach these days to side classes.  :afro: Pretty entertaining might I say!  8)

• kea.kate
  • Adventurer

• Seoul
« Reply #1033 on: May 02, 2018, 01:39:02 am »
Bro i'm reading TOEFL books, it's what my institution is making me teach these days to side classes.  :afro: Pretty entertaining might I say!  8)

I learned a surprising amount from teaching TOEFL classes! Unfortunately forgot a lot of it already...

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #1034 on: May 02, 2018, 04:48:31 am »
Lolita by Nabokov
Please.

• profporkchop
  • Adventurer

• February 13, 2018, 02:04:36 pm
    • Mcminnville, OR
« Reply #1035 on: August 17, 2018, 09:15:16 am »
The NecroNomNomNomicon: Cookbook of the Dead

funny, fast paced, and the author is dead sexy  (Wait. That's me!)

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #1036 on: August 17, 2018, 10:51:26 am »
Jennifer Foehner Wells' "Confluence" series (I'm on book 3)

Jeffrey Lewis' "The 2020 Commission Report on the North Korean Nuclear Attacks Against the United States".
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 10:53:28 am by JNM »

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #1037 on: August 17, 2018, 12:16:54 pm »
Lolita by Nabokov
Please.

Please what? You wanna borrow them?
The joys of fauxtherhood

• denimdaze
  • Expert Waygook

• December 30, 2010, 04:46:58 pm
    • USA
« Reply #1038 on: August 17, 2018, 12:39:10 pm »
I recently finished Thornyhold by Mary Stewart.  I plan to read her book The Ivy Tree on my flight home.

• shostager
  • Super Waygook

• November 06, 2012, 06:08:10 am
« Reply #1039 on: August 17, 2018, 01:56:15 pm »
Just finished reading all of "Thief of Time" by Terry Pratchett on my plane home. I chose it specifically because his style of writing goes down easy with me, and I quite like the humor.

On that note, any recommendations for books/writers similar to Pratchett and his Discworld series? I know there are a lot, but I'll eventually run out...