Read 286055 times

Re: What Books are you reading???? just curious!
« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2011, 08:56:12 am »
"The CIA and the Cult of Intelligence"  :D

1970s classic that was a watershed in that it was challenged in federal court twice and was censored and had passages added back based on court battles. It's a difficult book to find as well.

• grajoker
  • Expert Waygook

• October 08, 2010, 09:02:27 am
    • yeoju korea
« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2011, 08:58:28 am »
Seduction of Christianity   by Dave Hunt

• max2323
  • Adventurer

• March 02, 2011, 08:59:52 am
    • south korea
« Reply #102 on: April 25, 2011, 09:02:57 am »
it's also convinced me that I need to invest in a kindle.

I can't recommend buying enough. I actually just ordered my second one (first one got a little too much rough love) and it should be here on Wednesday or Thursday. Speaking from experience, buy a case that will protect it!! Fwiw, I paid $240 to have it delivered to Korea with a very nice leather case. They'll also have a new option available soon where you can get a Kindle for $115. The price difference is because they have advertisements as screensavers instead of authors and book designs. Take the plunge, best purchase you'll ever make!!!

Again, can't second this enough.  I bought one last second (2 days before I left).  Initially I was against it (I mean, it's not a book), but if you travel or live abroad and love to read, my god does it make a difference.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Smoke me a kipper...I'll be back for breakfast!

« Reply #103 on: April 25, 2011, 09:09:56 am »
The Art of War by Sun Tzu
Vincent: What'cha mean walk the earth?
Jules: You know, walk the earth, meet people... get into adventures. Like Caine from "Kung Fu."

« Reply #104 on: April 25, 2011, 09:13:18 am »
I got too many on the go at the moment. Just finished the 'Hitchhikers Guide" quintology, I'm about 1/4 of the way through 'Infinite Jest' but find it too heavy to lug around with me so it's taking aaaages, halfway through 'Don Quixote", and have just started 'American Psycho' on my ipod.
Pretty keen to start on Asimov's Foundation series next.

• Morticae
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 31, 2010, 12:45:33 pm
« Reply #105 on: April 25, 2011, 09:14:00 am »
I've been reading Stephen King for a while now.

After watching the first episode of Game of Thrones I will read that series. Originally I didn't want to read it, because I hate reading an unfinished series --- I always end up regretting it. Example: I have two series' currently in limbo, I have forgot how many years I've been waiting for the next books to finish up the cliffhanger story. So yeah, I hate reading an ongoing series but I'll make an exception in this case.

« Reply #106 on: April 25, 2011, 09:31:41 am »
I just finished recently:

David Paul - "Teaching English to Children in Asia"
Richard Dawkins - "The God Delusion"
Charles Mann - "1491"

I'm also working on:

Dan Simmon's "Hyperion"
Jared Diamond's "Collapse: How Socieites Choose to Succeed or Fail"
Jeremy Harmer - "How to Teach English"

Not reading, per se, but also trying to improve my English grammar with "Doing Grammar" by Max Morenberg and studying Korean with Yonsei materials. 

There just isn't enough time in the day to do all this and also teach.  Aigo.

Also, I'll third or fourth the recommendation to get a Kindle - not only will it save you a lot of time and money, but you can also have a large number of books at your disposal depending on when you want to return to them.  Well worth the investment if you love your books.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 09:33:50 am by lsterneleftthebuilding »

• mrajyandy
  • Waygookin

• October 17, 2010, 09:44:35 pm
    • Chuncheon
« Reply #107 on: April 25, 2011, 11:05:08 am »
Is mentioning What the Book every three posts as if it's new information a running gag?  If so it's brilliantly done.

Hey Big Cheese,

Has anybody told you about "What the Book" in Itaewon. It's awesome. It's a shop, with like, loads of books.

« Reply #108 on: April 25, 2011, 11:11:33 am »
Is mentioning What the Book every three posts as if it's new information a running gag?  If so it's brilliantly done.

Hey Big Cheese,

Has anybody told you about "What the Book" in Itaewon. It's awesome. It's a shop, with like, loads of books.

But I don't live in Seoul.  Is it possible they ship elsewhere?

• notinKS
  • Super Waygook

• November 29, 2010, 02:59:38 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #109 on: April 25, 2011, 12:10:25 pm »
My first one I bought while I was in the States and my second one is being shipped straight from Amazon. And yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they won't ship the ad-supported one here. Too bad.

• grosje
  • Adventurer

• October 17, 2010, 02:14:10 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #110 on: April 25, 2011, 12:16:32 pm »

But I don't live in Seoul.  Is it possible they ship elsewhere?
[/quote]

They ship. Free shipping on orders over 25000.
http://www.whatthebook.com/index.html

• kwartas
  • Veteran

• October 05, 2010, 11:38:34 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #111 on: April 25, 2011, 12:18:49 pm »
Any action-adventure books! Clive Cussler, David Baldacci, Wilbur Smith!
I also read A Long Way Gone; very good book about how boys are recruited to become child soldiers in Sierra Leone, its about their struggles, drug use, killing innocent people, and then eventually about the difficulty of integrating back into 'normal' society...

• cmster
  • Adventurer

• June 28, 2010, 01:54:53 am
    • Mississauga, ON
« Reply #112 on: April 25, 2011, 12:34:29 pm »
Currently reading Hitchhikers Guide  ;D

• notinKS
  • Super Waygook

• November 29, 2010, 02:59:38 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #113 on: April 25, 2011, 12:48:26 pm »
My first one I bought while I was in the States and my second one is being shipped straight from Amazon. And yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they won't ship the ad-supported one here. Too bad.

Cool. Can you please update with how you get on? How long it takes and customs (i hear you have to pay a tariff sometimes). Oh, and the shipping address. What did you put? I tried typing my address in Korean in the address field, but it comes back as jibberish. Korean delivery guys often battle with English.

I ordered it last Friday night (Thursday there) and it's supposed to be here on Wednesday or Thursday. Shipping was $26.97 and Import tax was $31.35. Expensive, yes, but worth it  8) And I put my Korean address in English. I've never had troubles with it when my parents sent me stuff, so hopefully it will be ok!

GAH! Just checked the delivery date and it's in Seoul!!! I'm dying, I want it to come so bad!!!!!

UPDATE!!! My Korean friend is on the phone with the driver-it's here, it's here!!!! God, I love living in the 21st century!!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 02:17:03 pm by notinKS »

• kyema
  • Adventurer

• February 11, 2011, 08:24:45 pm
« Reply #114 on: April 25, 2011, 01:03:08 pm »
Spaceland by Rudy Rucker http://www.amazon.com/Spaceland-Fourth-Dimension-Rudy-Rucker/dp/0765303663

Hard science fiction, that doesn't take itself too seriously. You can download a few books for free at the author's site.  http://www.rudyrucker.com/postsingular/
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 01:25:53 pm by kyema »

• TriKorea
  • Veteran

• December 20, 2010, 09:17:19 am
    • Anseong City
« Reply #115 on: April 25, 2011, 01:11:18 pm »
I just finished the book Once A Runner, and am now reading Born to Run. Both books about running ;)
www.iherb.com great place to get Gluten Free products, vitamins, and workout supplements shipped to the ROK for only $4... ******$5 off your first order with this code UPE657 ******

Living for Adventure!

• duckling
  • Waygookin

• September 17, 2010, 02:55:08 pm
    • Ulsan, Korea
« Reply #116 on: April 25, 2011, 01:17:04 pm »
Re-reading The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan.  I got book 12 last year and started reading it and couldn't remember a thing, so I looked back at book 11 to refresh my memory and couldn't remember any of it either.  So I just said "F it," and started over a couple of months ago.  Even though it'll probably take me a few years.  I read slow. Currently on book 2.

On my cell phone Kindle I'm reading Vincent Bugliosi's The Five Reasons OJ Simpson Got Away With Murder.  I loved Helter Skelter by Bugliosi.  Figured I would read this one because I was interested in where the OJ trial went so wrong.  It was interesting, but man Bugliosi repeats himself a lot.  There's no structure to it and it jumps all over the place.  I know the man was a great lawyer, but he makes himself seem to be the only person worthy of ever having been a lawyer.  Not only were all the lawyers involved in the OJ trial terrible, but so is every other lawyer who ever practiced law apparently.

« Reply #117 on: April 25, 2011, 01:28:04 pm »
Bossypants by Tina Fey... ordered it off whatthebook.com and haven't been able to put it down since!

• flasyb
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 30, 2010, 12:10:03 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #118 on: April 25, 2011, 01:30:38 pm »
Re-reading The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan.  I got book 12 last year and started reading it and couldn't remember a thing, so I looked back at book 11 to refresh my memory and couldn't remember any of it either.  So I just said "F it," and started over a couple of months ago.  Even though it'll probably take me a few years.  I read slow. Currently on book 2.

That'll take a while. Did the Towers of Midnight recently. Whenever there's a new one, I chew right through it. Only one more to go now, right?
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

« Reply #119 on: April 25, 2011, 01:31:51 pm »
I have just started "the girl with the dragon tattoo." I'm a slow reader, so the Millennium series will keep me going until the vacation!