Read 3598 times

Shipping Luggage from Korea to USA
« on: November 23, 2015, 12:32:44 pm »
Hi everyone -- hope this was the right place to post this.

I am going home to the US at the end of February and will be traveling for a bit after my contract. I came to Korea with two large suitcases. Since I can't bring them with me when I'm traveling, I want to ship them home with some clothing inside.

I've been looking into some options, but I'd like to hear from people who have actually done this successfully.

Did you use the post office or another method? About how much did it cost per suitcase? Did someone come and pick it up or did you have to take it somewhere?

I really don't care how long it takes for them to get to the US, as I won't be needing them for a while.

Thanks for the advice :)

Re: Shipping Luggage from Korea to USA
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 12:44:31 pm »
Korean Post won't ship suitcases. Only boxes/packages.

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 01:49:33 pm »
Whenever I've shipped something, I had to fill out a customs form and put down a specific amount of worth so they could tax it. I'm wondering how this works if I ship back my clothing and perhaps a few other things like some books. I could understand taxing brand new products but what about other stuff? Anyone have experience with this?

• Embarr
  • Veteran

• August 11, 2013, 09:01:22 am
    • Daejeon, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 01:56:27 pm »
I would also like to get some information. I brought one ridiculously large suitcase here (parents bought it, so I don't want to just sell it) and the idea of lugging that thing back to an airport... no thank you. I also want to travel a little when my time here is up.

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 02:35:21 pm »
I'm in the same boat -- my suitcases are new and quite nice, so I'd rather not sell them. Otherwise I'd just ship everything in boxes by post.

Since Korean Post doesn't ship luggage, I'm wondering about DHL, FedEx, etc. I know UPS ships luggage within the USA but I didn't see anything on their site about international (they don't seem to be as popular in Korea either).

I was looking at www.sendmybag.com too -- anyone have experience with this company?

• kicker_qb01
  • Adventurer

• May 09, 2014, 12:39:11 pm
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 03:11:57 pm »
Send my bag doesn't go to Canada unfortunately.

Does anyone have any info on shipping luggage to Canada?  I'm from Toronto.

• popeye2u
  • Expert Waygook

• April 05, 2011, 09:45:37 am
    • S of N. Korea
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 02:03:30 pm »
A 20 kilo box will cost 59,000 won.  Takes 2-3 months to the US.
Illegally Screwed By Employers in Korea:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1628928127347749/