Read 13056 times

• Toshiba
  • Super Waygook

• December 15, 2011, 02:18:45 pm
    • not good!
Re: Ajosshis that start crossing before the light turns green
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2015, 11:19:13 am »
I normally obey the crosswalk rules, except at the one closest to my apartment on my way to and from my subway station.

In the morning, I walk past it and cross further up as I get a better view of the road up and down. Less parked cars to look out from. At night, the food trucks are there. Parked on the edges of that crosswalk on both sides so my view is blocked from seeing any flying cars jumping the red light.

How this is not a national child safety issue, I'll never know. Children, much smaller than the parked cars, need to be clearly seen stepping onto a crosswalk. It's a safety issue for adults, but even more so for children. How are parents and school boards not all over this issue?

Madness.

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2016, 11:18:45 pm »
I normally obey the crosswalk rules, except at the one closest to my apartment on my way to and from my subway station.

In the morning, I walk past it and cross further up as I get a better view of the road up and down. Less parked cars to look out from.
At night, the food trucks are there. Parked on the edges of that crosswalk on both sides so my view is blocked from seeing any flying cars jumping the red light.

http://kojects.com/2015/06/01/reporting-illegally-parked-cars-in-korea/

Report them, they get a fine, problem solved.  I have busted about 20 badly parked jism stains so far!

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2016, 08:00:30 am »

In the morning, I walk past it and cross further up as I get a better view of the road up and down. Less parked cars to look out from.
At night, the food trucks are there. Parked on the edges of that crosswalk on both sides so my view is blocked from seeing any flying cars jumping the red light.

Report them, they get a fine, problem solved.  I have busted about 20 badly parked jism stains so far!

Thanks! I may use this for fun during my free time. I have a lot of trouble with illegally parked cars near my house, and this will give me some satisfaction.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2016, 08:23:51 am »

+1
This app is awesome. Gonna keep this in mind when I go cycling. This would solve most of Korea's parking issues if they offered a % bounty on any tickets issues due to information from app users. Want to buy an extra 2 bottles of soju? Rat out your boss's crappy park job!  :evil:

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2016, 08:29:12 am »
Any app for reporting illegal English teachers? If I'm gonna narc, I want to go all-in.

« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2016, 08:43:21 am »
Any app for reporting illegal English teachers? If I'm gonna narc, I want to go all-in.

What are we talking here, doc? Non-IVY-league-degree-holding ignoramuses? Fellas who teach friends a bit on the side for language exchange? Suspected drug users (consuming too much tylenol as per typical prescriptions here)? Divorced English teachers (thereby bringing shame to this dear country)?

It's a jungle out there, doc. Keep your ears to the ground and remain vigilant.

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• December 27, 2010, 09:14:44 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2016, 08:43:59 am »
It doesn't work.

Tried it last October, they didn't take any action.

Every weekend, all around Dream Forest the bicycle lane is a parking lot, I took well over 50 photos of these cars, nothing happened.

Unfortunately, it's been going on for 7+ years, and I don't see it changing any time soon, as the local song office doesn't care, the cops don't care, etc.

If someone has success with this app, please post.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2016, 09:01:40 am »
:rolleyes:
I think we can all agree that putting pedestrians, cyclists, and drivers in very real danger by parking in idiotic places is just a wee bit different than teaching little Su-jin his ABCs on the sly.

It doesn't work.
Every weekend, all around Dream Forest the bicycle lane is a parking lot, I took well over 50 photos of these cars, nothing happened.
Unfortunately, it's been going on for 7+ years, and I don't see it changing any time soon, as the local song office doesn't care, the cops don't care, etc.

I figured this would be the case, but I'll give it a try anyway!

• AndyKanerva
  • Super Waygook

• February 23, 2014, 08:43:23 am
    • Gangwon-DO
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2016, 09:11:45 am »
I posted this in another thread the other day. Though in Toronto, I'd be shocked if they weren't Korean.

https://ca.screen.yahoo.com/instant-karma/apparent-dispute-zebra-crossing-leads-100000584.html
I figured I'd chime in on this.
For starters, that is not Toronto, but one of the amalgamated cookie cutter suburbs that surround it. Looks like somewhere out in Richmond Hill and certainly not in the city.
Secondly, in Toronto the Koreans tend to hub together in two areas, North (Korea) York and Christie Pitts, where there are still very few of them. There are very few Koreans living in Toronto. There are many Chinese, however, and Chinese ajeossis aren't known for their kindness or willingness to abide by Canadian cultural standards. Just ask my neighbour who used to call the police on my friends and I for playing guitar at 3 pm, and how he would come and scream at us in Mandarin as though we would somehow respond well to that.
M'point is, I A) highly doubt the people in this video are Korean and B) people on this site really need to lose their raging hate boners for Koreans if they are willing to dig THIS DEEP. It's not even in Korea and we have no idea the nationality or race of the individual (it's Toronto, one of the most multicultural cities in the world, after all), and yet people are willing to chime in, 'hurr I bet their Korean because they did something Koreans (and people all over the world, including Canadians) do!'

« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2016, 10:35:29 am »
I think we can all agree that putting pedestrians, cyclists, and drivers in very real danger by parking in idiotic places is just a wee bit different than teaching little Su-jin his ABCs on the sly.

Narc is a narc. That is, unless they double parked in front of you.

Anyways, you get people narcing on shit like this, next thing is they'll turn it on you. Doing privates, past history of drug use, torrenting, all that. Everyone narcing on everyone else with their smartphones and who profits?

STOP BEING CONDITIONED BY THE MAN, MAN!!!!

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2016, 11:03:47 am »
I think the whole "snitches get stitches" philosophy is disgusting.
If somebody is a douchebag, ensuring that they face the consequences of their anti-social behaviours  is a sure-fire way of reducing the occurrence of their future douchebaggery.

The fact that people don't do more to protect corporate and governmental whistleblowers is why these institutions feel free to go about doing the bull**** they so regularly get away with doing.

Minor stuff like smoking near a building entrance or teaching a few illicit English lessons gets a pass from me, but I wholly support the idea of reporting idiots who are the potential cause of traffic accidents etc. I just don't get people who disagree with this.

:police:

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2016, 11:43:41 am »
I think the whole "snitches get stitches" philosophy is disgusting.
If somebody is a douchebag, ensuring that they face the consequences of their anti-social behaviours  is a sure-fire way of reducing the occurrence of their future douchebaggery.

The fact that people don't do more to protect corporate and governmental whistleblowers is why these institutions feel free to go about doing the bull**** they so regularly get away with doing.

Minor stuff like smoking near a building entrance or teaching a few illicit English lessons gets a pass from me, but I wholly support the idea of reporting idiots who are the potential cause of traffic accidents etc. I just don't get people who disagree with this.

:police:

Basically, its one of those things I don't care about unless it really impacts me. Most of the time I can just walk around the car. Whatever. I'm not going to go out of my way to narc on them if its some old guy unloading boxes for his business.

But double parkers, road blockers, and the guys that make me suddenly brake just so they can yap on their phone... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2016, 12:04:48 pm »
I posted this in another thread the other day. Though in Toronto, I'd be shocked if they weren't Korean.

https://ca.screen.yahoo.com/instant-karma/apparent-dispute-zebra-crossing-leads-100000584.html
For starters, that is not Toronto, but one of the amalgamated cookie cutter suburbs that surround it. Looks like somewhere out in Richmond Hill and certainly not in the city.
https://www.google.co.kr/maps/place/43%C2%B053'33.3%22N+79%C2%B018'15.0%22W/@43.8838592,-79.3610028,13z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0?hl=en

Close, but actually Markham. Very much a Chinese neighborhood.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 12:07:18 pm by sejongthefabulous »

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2016, 12:17:29 pm »
But double parkers, road blockers, and the guys that make me suddenly brake just so they can yap on their phone... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Yeah, that's who I'm talking about.  :smiley:

• AndyKanerva
  • Super Waygook

• February 23, 2014, 08:43:23 am
    • Gangwon-DO
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2016, 12:31:58 pm »

https://www.google.co.kr/maps/place/43%C2%B053'33.3%22N+79%C2%B018'15.0%22W/@43.8838592,-79.3610028,13z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0?hl=en

Close, but actually Markham. Very much a Chinese neighborhood.
Thanks man! I could've looked into more but I'm a lazy shit today.

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2016, 01:18:08 pm »

Good to see this thread revived.
Funny thing about the crossing I've already mentioned. On the weekend there they put up two huge banners on either side of the crossing on the sidewalk. The only problem being is that they completely blocked off the pedestrian crossing lights so that no-one can see the lights on the opposite side of the crossing. Luckily, someone wised up and the concerning banner was removed on Monday.

« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2016, 07:08:40 pm »
It doesn't work.

Reported a guy today and got a reply 2 hours later telling me that my complaint stands up.  You have to be specific.  Offences that work are:
Parking within 10 metere of a juction
Parking within 7 metres of a crossing
Paking on a crossing

As the law allows 5 minutes waiting time, you must mention that the car was parked for longer than this. 

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• December 27, 2010, 09:14:44 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2016, 07:40:24 pm »
When you say it worked, what happened?  What action was taken?

They responded to me, but no action was taken, no cars were towed, nor tickets issued.

Please understand...weeken ds are very busy.

« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2016, 08:23:01 pm »
When you say it worked, what happened?  What action was taken?

They responded to me, but no action was taken, no cars were towed, nor tickets issued.

Please understand...weeken ds are very busy.

the reply means that the owners has been sent a ticket in the post to pay a fine.  The photo you sent will stare at them from the fine notice.  This is what would happen if they ran a red light (where a camera was present) or were caught illegally parked by the camera cars that patrol the downtown streets.